Lurasidone (trade Name Latuda) Questions

Ellie18

I'm not sure exactly what it does (I think it raises serotonin and lowers dopamine...but just a speculation.) But what I can say is I took it almost 4 years ago and came VERY close to committing suicide on it. Every evening at 6PM like clockwork, I got so morbidly depressed and apathetic that I had to take sleeping pills to knock myself out. Not trying to scare you, but from my own personal horrific experience with Latuda, I think it's fair that I warn others. But then again, every medication reacts to every person differently.. Just be careful.

mujuro

I just tried it. Awful drug. The akathisia was unbearable. I like quetiapine because of its low affinity for D2. It is the only antipsychotic that doesn't give me akathisia. It's also relatively short acting (12-19hrs half life, taken before bed makes it convenient) and a very strong antihistamine, which from a Peat perspective is a bonus because of the effects of H1 antagonists on nf-kB. Its prolactin elevation is better than most atypicals probably due to its low D2 binding.

Brooks Esq.

He
Lurasidone - Wikipedia

does anyone know if it reduces serotonin or increases it? how does it help
Hello, to answer your question, I will first give you a short lesson on how pharmacology works. If something is an antagonist at a receptor than it eliminates the effect of that receptor, if it is an agonist than it increases the effect at the receptor.

So in short, it eliminates the effects of serotonin only at certain receptors, but does not necessarily lower the amount of serotonin. It does the same thing at certain dopamine receptors. Please don't hesitate to ask me any other questions you may have.