Lumen Device For Measuring CO2 $299

RealNeat

Anyone have one of these?

How Lumen works

@haidut mentioned in an interview that this is one of the best bio-markers to know. It would be awesome if it measured oxygen consumption too, what's the device Ray always refers to when talking about his oxygen consumption increasing immensely?

S-VV

Nice. Does anyone know if the measurements are given in a standard unit: ppm, mmHg, kPa etc.. ir it is just their meme "ai machine learning"

yerrag

Anyone have one of these?

How Lumen works

@haidut mentioned in an interview that this is one of the best bio-markers to know. It would be awesome if it measured oxygen consumption too, what's the device Ray always refers to when talking about his oxygen consumption increasing immensely?
He was talking about an oximeter. But if it's another interview, but not so much on oxygen consumption, but on tidal CO2, that would be a capnometer.

A company called Masimo makes these, good units but unaffordable.

yerrag

I've looked at this before. It was mentioned in another thread. I think I said that if a third party hack can allow more data to be extracted from this unit, then the price is worth it. My impression of it is that it's a pretty dumbed down capnometer. The data it presents is not primary data but presentation data. In a graphic form.

And the presentation of data suits the belief on metabolism of the maker, which I would say is mainstream. And the mainstream market is dumb as hell. Pretty sure many keto people would find this device useful as it would be a techy gadget that feeds their echo chamber of belief that humans are made for keto.

Not having a unit, I could be wrong. But I'm not buying just because the information presented to would-be buyers is so scant that because of the low price of $300 I just have to try it and if it doesn't work I'm just losing $300. Sorry, NO.

yerrag

Also think the app is more of a marketing honeypot that enables the company to sell many useless health products. It's following the cheap inkjet printer model where they take a loss in the initial sale but rely on subsequent sale of consumables for recurring profits, be it by ad or by product.

$1000 well spent on a capnometer that gives you good useful data is better than $300 spent on a marketing tool (where you're the one being marketed to) that doesn't really improve your health but gives the appearance of doing so.

I wonder if haidut saying it's one of the best available is simply based on the idea that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed cyclop is king.

Last edited:

DrJ

Bumping to see if anyone has tried this yet? I just saw a commercial for this thing and was curious.

ddjd

a cheap $5 oximeter will tell you your co2. I lived in la paz for 6 months, 13000 feet, trust me the oximeter works

DrJ

I have an oximeter and it cannot tell you exhaled CO2 which is the actual measure of respiration. There can be many reasons for low O2 in the blood beside high oxidative phosphorylation.

yerrag

I have an oximeter and it cannot tell you exhaled CO2 which is the actual measure of respiration. There can be many reasons for low O2 in the blood beside high oxidative phosphorylation.
Is there no way we could exhale into a container where there's a liquid that reacts with the CO2, and which would change the color of the liquid, and then we can approximate from the color of the liquid how much CO2 has been exhaled?

It doesn't have to be based on a color. It could be like using something that reacts with CO2, like magnesium hydroxide. With the hydroxide dissolved in very cold water and placed in a PET bottle, and exhaling one breath into the bottle (preferable a vacuum so that the breath fills that vacuum), and then shaking the bottle to let the CO2 react with the hydroxide to produce magnesium bicarbonate and water, and perhaps adding some catalyst to carry the reaction to completion, and then measuring for unreacted hydroxide (how I don't know) one could tell how much CO2 is expelled in one breath.

Perhaps a good chemist can figure this thing out.

I've been waiting for a good affordable capnometer but its been a while and no one's producing the goods at all. Seems like there's no mass market for it to make it as ubiquitous as those cell phone sensors.

yerrag

a cheap $5 oximeter will tell you your co2. I lived in la paz for 6 months, 13000 feet, trust me the oximeter works

probably the next best thing if you know how to use the data.

how do you use the data that could give you an idea of CO2?

ddjd

probably the next best thing if you know how to use the data.

how do you use the data that could give you an idea of CO2?
no it's as simple as the lower your oxygen saturation is, the higher your carbon dioxide level. there's been a few threads on it before and im pretty sure even peat suggested an oximeter for rough carbon dioxide level reading. anything around 97-100% means very low carbon dioxide levels, 89-94% is very good- indicates high carbon dioxide.

prior to arriving in la paz it was always 97-100% oxygen saturation . but for the 6 months I was there, it was constantly 89-91%.

yerrag

no it's as simple as the lower your oxygen saturation is, the higher your carbon dioxide level. there's been a few threads on it before and im pretty sure even peat suggested an oximeter for rough carbon dioxide level reading. anything around 97-100% means very low carbon dioxide levels, 89-94% is very good- indicates high carbon dioxide.

prior to arriving in la paz it was always 97-100% oxygen saturation . but for the 6 months I was there, it was constantly 89-91%.

It's interesting to see the change in spO2 staying in La Paz.

My spO2 is similar at sea level-ish. Mine ranges from 96-99. And I was hoping my spO2 could get lower even at sea level, as last year or two, my spO2 was at 99 regularly.

So I can say with the lower spO2, my tissue oxygenation has improved. I'm not sure if it's due to increased CO2 though. I think in my case it's from having less plaque in my blood vessels. I took ZymEssence systemic enzymes for 3 months last year, and I got lowered spO2. My heart rate stayed steady though at 68ish. So I think there's some room to improve. However, I've stopped ZymEssence because the lysing of plaque also disrupted bacterial biofilms, and this increased planktonic bacteria going around my blood vessels. So that is on hold while I figure out how to simulaneously eliminate the bacteria as I lyse plaque.

The lysis of plaque, in my opinion, did a lot to improve tissue oxygenation.

Since I'm not likely to live in high altitudes for the foreseeable future, I won't know how my spO2 would look like. But I think I will adapt well to do it, given that my acid-base pH balance is pretty good due to having and producing enough CO2 due to my reliance on a healthy and efficient oxidative phosphorylative metabolism. Having good blood sugar control also helps towards that.

So, I agree with you that the oximeter can definitely give a good idea of CO2 status. It's cheaper too use to.

angiebb

Anders Olsson - the guy in James Nestor's book Breathe" is creating a new device .

"The device was previously named Breath IQ. It was renamed BreathQI and it will measure oxygen, carbon dioxide, breathing frequency, breathing volume, breathing rhythm, temperature, humidity, metabolism (low/high) and whether we are using fat or sugar as fuel.

We hope to have the alpha-2 prototype ready of BreathQI within the next couple of weeks. Then we will do some testing before we plan to launch the beta-1 prototype. We seem to have overcome most of the challenges in regards to development, so later this year we hope to have it ready for purchase. Please give your e-mail if you want to be put on the list of people that will get notified when have more news to share."

Products - Conscious Breathing

DrJ

I finally bought one of these when I got an offer for $150 off the full price. So far I'm pretty disappointed and can't really recommend it unless you find an absolutely fantastic deal and just want to play around with it. I thought I'd post my remarks here in case it would help others.

First, you don't appear to get any sort of actual CO2 measurement from it unless there is some setting or advanced mode I can't figure out. After a breath measurement, it assigns you a number from 1 to 5 with 1 meaning "burning all fat" and 5 meaning "burning all carbs". The other numbers in between are some mixture of burning fat and burning carbs. Predictably, I am a 1 when I wake up in the morning. But it really doesn't help me answer the question of how hard I'm burning carbs when I'm at a 5. I suspect the numbering system and lack of ppm value or similar measurements is aimed at low-attention-span mouth-breathers :). I suppose it's mildly useful that you can tell when you're burning all fat.

Second, you have to get all of your results from the app which you must install on your phone. The app is super cringe and full of ugly artwork and annoying videos that are always popping up and bothering me from what I actually (kindof) want to do: take a breath measurement to find out if I'm a 1-5 - as useless as that may be to someone trying rip chad levels of CO2 after shoveling carbs into my face.

Finally, it seems you must have a subscription to keep using the device. When you buy the device, you get a subscription - or perhaps you buy a subscription and get the device. Who knows. I'm not sure if I lose full access to the device measurements when my sub is up, but I'll find out in 6 months :). Suffice it to say I don't really want to continue to pay a subscription to find out if I'm a "1" or a "5" when my moms always assures me I'm a 10.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I finally bought one of these when I got an offer for $150 off the full price. So far I'm pretty disappointed and can't really recommend it unless you find an absolutely fantastic deal and just want to play around with it. I thought I'd post my remarks here in case it would help others.

First, you don't appear to get any sort of actual CO2 measurement from it unless there is some setting or advanced mode I can't figure out. After a breath measurement, it assigns you a number from 1 to 5 with 1 meaning "burning all fat" and 5 meaning "burning all carbs". The other numbers in between are some mixture of burning fat and burning carbs. Predictably, I am a 1 when I wake up in the morning. But it really doesn't help me answer the question of how hard I'm burning carbs when I'm at a 5. I suspect the numbering system and lack of ppm value or similar measurements is aimed at low-attention-span mouth-breathers :). I suppose it's mildly useful that you can tell when you're burning all fat.

Second, you have to get all of your results from the app which you must install on your phone. The app is super cringe and full of ugly artwork and annoying videos that are always popping up and bothering me from what I actually (kindof) want to do: take a breath measurement to find out if I'm a 1-5 - as useless as that may be to someone trying rip chad levels of CO2 after shoveling carbs into my face.

Finally, it seems you must have a subscription to keep using the device. When you buy the device, you get a subscription - or perhaps you buy a subscription and get the device. Who knows. I'm not sure if I lose full access to the device measurements when my sub is up, but I'll find out in 6 months :). Suffice it to say I don't really want to continue to pay a subscription to find out if I'm a "1" or a "5" when my moms always assures me I'm a 10.
Yikes, that's sounds not so awesome. Thanks for the review.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

This must have to consider other factors like the temperature of extremities and so on. What other things can effect accurate readings on an oximeter?

Or in other works what you want to know opposed to what you don't. Would lactic acidosis make a difference for example?

yerrag

Contec came out with a capnograph last year for $300 and 8 months @ecstatichamster used it and didn't like it. And he returned it.

I'd like to see a review of it online but can't find any on the web, and the item is not even available on Amazon in the US, Germany, Singapore, and even China, even though the item, Contec A10m is made in China. It's not widely sold even, and is sold at Contec's website. Even so, there are no reviews on it on its website.

I think they're still kicking the tires on the product. They're selling at a lower price also $254 shipping not included.