OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 112951
haidut said:
RPDiciple said:
In terms of serotonin inibition, why does cypro increase appetite in people and lead to weigh gain in many people?

I also read that paper where they did something to reduce or inhibit serotonin and made people/mouse? get teen like metabolism

For cypro, it is the antagonism of one of the serotonin receptors (I think) that causes the appetite change. The paper on serotonin showed that inhibiting peripheral serotonin via TPH-2 inhibition restored metabolism. Another way to achieve similar results is to block serotonin receptors.
Haidut, you are saying that there is no cell receptors but how do you explain the effects on different "receptors" reported by those drugs with your paradigm?

The cell's energetic status and overall health of the organism determines the effects of a substance on the cell. Peat has written about this many times. Various substances like adrenaline and some fatty acids have been found to bind perfectly well to the estrogen "receptor" and activate it. Modern medicine says this is impossible and should not happen.
The dopaminergic drugs have effects similar to dopamine on the cell. Dopamine opposes the effects of serotonin and as such increases metabolism and leads to cell loss. That is my understanding at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

haidut said:
The cell's energetic status and overall health of the organism determines the effects of a substance on the cell. Peat has written about this many times. Various substances like adrenaline and some fatty acids have been found to bind perfectly well to the estrogen "receptor" and activate it. Modern medicine says this is impossible and should not happen.
The dopaminergic drugs have effects similar to dopamine on the cell. Dopamine opposes the effects of serotonin and as such increases metabolism and leads to cell loss. That is my understanding at least.
Thanks, very interesting!

OkayByTheSea

If you restrict tryptophan somehow you will not synthesize much serotonin unless you overtrain and muscle breakdown releases tryptophan in the blood. Eating lots of gelatin is one way. Another is taking quinine. See my other post from today about quinine, which seems to be very promising.

My question is around @haidut 's comment about gelatin and prolactin connection. I found a few studies (admittedly, on rats) that speak about glycine administration elevating prolactin release from the pituitary gland. Given that gelatin has a lot of glycine, shouldn't the effect be opposite.

The central actions of glycine and strychnine on prolactin and LH secretion.
The central actions of glycine and strychnine on prolactin and LH secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

Enhanced prolactin release by injection of glycine in the medial preoptic area (mPOA) of the rat.
Enhanced prolactin release by injection of glycine in the medial preoptic area (mPOA) of the rat. - PubMed - NCBI

Thanks.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My question is around @haidut 's comment about gelatin and prolactin connection. I found a few studies (admittedly, on rats) that speak about glycine administration elevating prolactin release from the pituitary gland. Given that gelatin has a lot of glycine, shouldn't the effect be opposite.

The central actions of glycine and strychnine on prolactin and LH secretion.
The central actions of glycine and strychnine on prolactin and LH secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

Enhanced prolactin release by injection of glycine in the medial preoptic area (mPOA) of the rat.
Enhanced prolactin release by injection of glycine in the medial preoptic area (mPOA) of the rat. - PubMed - NCBI

Thanks.

We discussed this several times in other threads. Glycine powerfully lowers blood sugar, other amino acids do too. If you administer any amino acid like that (in isolation and without sugar) it will cause a drop in blood glucose, and prolactin (and cortisol) will rise in response. Both prolactin and cortisol are biomarkers of stress and hypoglycemia.

Last edited:

Pointless

Some talk about half-life here, but Lisuride seems to have a much shorter half-life than bromocriptine, but its prolactin lowering seems to last longer.

Dopamine agonists in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia. Comparison between bromocriptine and lisuride. - PubMed - NCBI

From this thread: Lisuride For Prolactinemia

Very interesting. It must operate on the pituitary in a structural way.

A study about this phenomenon: Long-duration effect and the postsynaptic compartment: study using a dopamine agonist with a short half-life. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Some talk about half-life here, but Lisuride seems to have a much shorter half-life than bromocriptine, but its prolactin lowering seems to last longer.

Dopamine agonists in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia. Comparison between bromocriptine and lisuride. - PubMed - NCBI

From this thread: Lisuride For Prolactinemia

Very interesting. It must operate on the pituitary in a structural way.

Lisuride is a much more potent dopamine agonist then bromocriptine and has some serotonin antagonism as well, which adds to its effect on prolactin. Lisuride is agonist on all known dopamine "receptors" D1 through D5 in doses as little as 0.1mg, while bromocriptine is mostly agonist on D2 at doses achievable in humans without serious side effects.