Lowering Progesterone. Increase Estrogen?

Cymatic

It would seem that myself and others with lingering side effects of discontinuing SSRIs have elevated progesterone and androstanediol, both of which are converted via 3a-hsd. A theory is that through increased expression of 3a-hsd/3b-hsd, the effects of androgynous steroids are blocked, leading to PSSD (post-ssri sexual dysfunction).

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors Directly Alter Activity of Neurosteroidogenic Enzymes on JSTOR
Estrogenic/antiestrogenic activity of selected selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
Estradiol and progesterone modify the effects of the serotonin reuptake transporter polymorphism on serotonergic responsivity to citalopram

Antidepressant sexual side effects can persist after stopping | RxISK

What would be ways to lower progesterone? Would it be safe to do so? Perhaps inhibiting 3a-hsd is a viable treatment?

Drareg

It would seem that myself and others with lingering side effects of discontinuing SSRIs have elevated progesterone and androstanediol, both of which are converted via 3a-hsd. A theory is that through increased expression of 3a-hsd/3b-hsd, the effects of androgynous steroids are blocked, leading to PSSD (post-ssri sexual dysfunction).

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors Directly Alter Activity of Neurosteroidogenic Enzymes on JSTOR
Estrogenic/antiestrogenic activity of selected selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
Estradiol and progesterone modify the effects of the serotonin reuptake transporter polymorphism on serotonergic responsivity to citalopram

What would be ways to lower progesterone? Would it be safe to do so? Perhaps inhibiting 3a-hsd is a viable treatment?

Have you any more thoughts or experiment to report on 3a-hsd?

Have you gotten progesterone tested and are u over the range? Do u react really well to pregnenlone? Have u checked your cholesterol level, I'm curious what it is.

OP
Cymatic

Cymatic

Have you gotten progesterone tested and are u over the range? Do u react really well to pregnenlone? Have u checked your cholesterol level, I'm curious what it is.

My progesterone test was a 0.4ng/ml on a scale of 0.0-0.2
Not sure if this is significant or not, I just know that from the anecdotal comments of people with high progesterone, their symptoms line up with PSSD. The real annoying part is the lack of literature on progesterone and men, and PSSD predominantly affects men.

I asked my doctor about trying ways to lower Prog and he wasn't really sure there was any way, and then brought up aromatase inhibitors (sigh).

Anyone know anything that lowers or blocks progesterone - natural or pharma?

ddjd

A drastic way might be to take Exemestane/Aromasin. There's a study on it reducing Progesterone receptors activity

Astolfo

bump.

nicotine apperantly inhibits 3a-hsd.

my progesterone level was 0.5 2 years ago. It's now 0.9

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals