Lowering High Blood Sugar

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I love how positive and encouraging you are Vileplume! That makes me feel happy to be investing myself in this forum. It can be time consuming, but it feels like time well spent hearing you say that :)
Are you still drinking nonfat milk? How is it going with that?

Edit: Your investment into this forum is so helpful. Your threads have become some of the most popular, in a pretty short amount of time.

Are you still drinking nonfat milk? How is it going with that?

Edit: Your investment into this forum is so helpful. Your threads have become some of the most popular, in a pretty short amount of time.

You really know how to build a person up, thank you!

I just buy a half gallon of nonfat a week for myself. I worry about the added vitamin A in it so I don'tcwant it to backfire, but I also don't want to give up the benefits of my raw whole milk either. I just use the nonfat to balance a fatty high phosphorus meal or to have a cup with just an egg yolk for a snack. That snack gives me 13 grams of protein for 5 grams of fat!

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

You really know how to build a person up, thank you!

I just buy a half gallon of nonfat a week for myself. I worry about the added vitamin A in it so I don'tcwant it to backfire, but I also don't want to give up the benefits of my raw whole milk either. I just use the nonfat to balance a fatty high phosphorus meal or to have a cup with just an egg yolk for a snack. That snack gives me 13 grams of protein for 3 grams of fat!
I can relate. I love my raw whole milk too. And it hasn’t been fattening so far, although I get concerned it will become fattening.

It’s nice to have the nonfat option for when you have a fatty meal, like you said. So when you have milk as the primary protein in the meal, you use raw whole?

I can relate. I love my raw whole milk too. And it hasn’t been fattening so far, although I get concerned it will become fattening.

It’s nice to have the nonfat option for when you have a fatty meal, like you said. So when you have milk as the primary protein in the meal, you use raw whole?
I use whole milk for custards, ice cream and even by itself for a snack, but when I have beef or chicken wings or egg yolks I use the nonfat. A half gallon lasts me about 6 days. Ray Peat talks about heavier meals, especially fatty ones, a cause of fat gain, so though I don't count calories, I do pay attention to keeping my fats spread out, not all sitting in one meal, so I can use them quickly, instead or storing them.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I use whole milk for custards, ice cream and even by itself for a snack, but when I have beef or chicken wings or egg yolks I use the nonfat. A half gallon lasts me about 6 days. Ray Peat talks about heavier meals, especially fatty ones, a cause of fat gain, so though I don't count calories, I do pay attention to keeping my fats spread out, not all sitting in one meal, so I can use them quickly, instead or storing them.
Awesome, thank you for sharing!

Chophouse360

My girlfriend is pre-diabetic with high morning numbers too and when I convinced her to try honeycomb she trusted and tried it at bedtime, and was amazed that her waking number was 10 points lower than normal. Here is her text to me. She has been using it ever since with her coffee and to balance her protein meals. You might think about giving it a try.
Where do you get honeycomb? Does it have to be honeycomb or can it be raw honey?

Chophouse360

Yes, stress will do that, Vileplume. Has to be a terribly stressful time to be a teacher.

Which is why I'd focus on stress.

If you want to keep aspirin down to 500 mg a day, I'd just use that at bedtime and use niacinamide with sugar or OJ every few hours while you're awake. If you can't take 25-50 mg each time, take an amount you can feel but handle. You can grind up a niacinamide pill, lick your finger, lightly dip it in the powder and lick it off and it will likely be enough.

I love Pyrucet. I believe it cured my cancer. It's terrific for getting you to burn glucose rather than fatty acids. It's also a wonderful anti-inflammatory.

But I don't know that it's as good as niacinamide for getting your free fatty acid levels down to where you want them for good insulin sensitivity.
Did you take pyrucet orally?

Where do you get honeycomb? Does it have to be honeycomb or can it be raw honey?

I was eating raw honeycomb with a noticable "head change" right away, but when I ran out I went back to eating raw honey. Recently hearing RP talk about honeycomb as having more benefits than raw honey convinced me to go back to my honeycomb. He said that the nutrients are locked in and protected in comb and that releasing it has the air killing some nutrients and degrading others. I have been buying the Savanna Bee Company honeycomb. I get it from Cost Plus World Market.

Chophouse360

I was eating raw honeycomb with a noticable "head change" right away, but when I ran out I went back to eating raw honey. Recently hearing RP talk about honeycomb as having more benefits than raw honey convinced me to go back to my honeycomb. He said that the nutrients are locked in and protected in comb and that releasing it has the air killing some nutrients and degrading others. I have been buying the Savanna Bee Company honeycomb. I get it from Cost Plus World Market.

Thanks

Chophouse360

I appreciate all the feedback. One last thing you eat it before bed? Just by itself?

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, do you happen to remember in which interview Ray talked about honeycomb having more benefits than raw honey? I tried searching the bioenergetic search engine for it, but nothing came up. Also, have you ever tried Savannah Bee’s original whipped honey?

I appreciate all the feedback. One last thing you eat it before bed? Just by itself?

Lately I have been eating my honey before my first cup of coffee, between meals and sometimes at bedtime. This RP quote convinced me to really up my sugars....

"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes." -Ray Peat

Chophouse360

Lately I have been eating my honey before my first cup of coffee, between meals and sometimes at bedtime. This RP quote convinced me to really up my sugars....

"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes." -Ray Peat
Thanks

@Rinse & rePeat, do you happen to remember in which interview Ray talked about honeycomb having more benefits than raw honey? I tried searching the bioenergetic search engine for it, but nothing came up. Also, have you ever tried Savannah Bee’s original whipped honey?

I don't know where I heard it, but i will look for it again. I have not tried Savanna's whipped honey. I am still waiting on my 3 jars of your Wendell Estate honey.

Rafe

Hot flashes: keep in mind that these happen when your temp has maxed out & you have a hot flash when it starts going back down.

People get this backwards but Peat talks about this (somewhere). It’s like when you get a fever: you might actually want a sweater as your temp goes up. Then you want it off as you break a sweat as it maxes out & your metabolism can no longer burn that fast.

It’s not always bad to have those if your metabolism really is starting to burn faster & at a higher temp than it used to.

If a person is eating a lot of PUFA or progesterone is getting relatively lower (perimenopause, say), or is hypothyroid, then hot flashes are a signal of max temps still being too low.

But as you coax your temps higher hot flashes will happen, too. You’ll max at a higher temp. In that context they aren’t bad. Context will tell you whether it’s a good sign or less good.

I finally got my temps very high consistently after about 3 months on very low fat, but not very high protein. Walking helps me. It helps me the most when I can take long, rambling hikes several times a week.

But that didn’t happen for me until I’d been eating, living peatily for over 6 yrs. some changes can be weirdly immediate. Others I think Peat has characterized as something like building a house with hand tools. To change your whole organism takes time, persistence, a deep well of patience.

A ratio of P:C turns out to be about 1:3.5 for me for avoiding “food comas.” I was having a lot of those. Lowering protein (I know this is the opposite of some other very good experiences here but that was me) raising carb ratio, walking, summer helped me.

My temps are in the 99s most of the day now between noon & 7pm.

You are a teacher so this time of year is the first wave of the school year stress-challenge, at the same time that the days are getting shorter (if you’re in the northern hemisphere).

The stress accumulates over the winter. So, not all progress is linear. But you’re still making progress even if some days aren’t that great. Hang in there. Take shortcuts on the job where you can to destress.

Jennifer

I don't know where I heard it, but i will look for it again. I have not tried Savanna's whipped honey. I am still waiting on my 3 jars of your Wendell Estate honey.

Great. Thanks a bunch for checking, Rinse. I’m waiting for my WE honey order, too. :) Do you find the wax of the honeycomb gentle enough on your gut, and do you think this is similar to the Savannah Bee’s honeycomb:

Amazon product ASIN B08ZYW8VHCView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZYW8VHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3MXLTRINUPWUY&psc=1

A ratio of P:C turns out to be about 1:3.5 for me for avoiding “food comas.” I was having a lot of those. Lowering protein (I know this is the opposite of some other very good experiences here but that was me) raising carb ratio, walking, summer helped me.

You’re not alone. Prior to supplementing thyroid, that was my experience, as well. It wasn’t until I went ultra low in protein (a fruitarian diet) that I stopped experiencing pretty severe hypoglycemia. I was averaging roughly 35 grams of protein to 600 grams of carbs daily. Now my sugars are stable at as low as a 1:2 ratio, as long as my protein is coming from dairy. I still can’t have meat without triggering hypoglycemia and subsequent adrenaline attacks—convulsions and syncope—no matter how many carbs I have with it.

Great. Thanks a bunch for checking, Rinse. I’m waiting for my WE honey order, too. :) Do you find the wax of the honeycomb gentle enough on your gut, and do you think this is similar to the Savannah Bee’s honeycomb:

Amazon product ASIN B08ZYW8VHCView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZYW8VHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3MXLTRINUPWUY&psc=1

You’re not alone. Prior to supplementing thyroid, that was my experience, as well. It wasn’t until I went ultra low in protein (a fruitarian diet) that I stopped experiencing pretty severe hypoglycemia. I was averaging roughly 35 grams of protein to 600 grams of carbs daily. Now my sugars are stable at as low as a 1:2 ratio, as long as my protein is coming from dairy. I still can’t have meat without triggering hypoglycemia and subsequent adrenaline attacks—convulsions and syncope—no matter how many carbs I have with it.

I dont swallow the wax, I just chew it till the honey flavor is gone and then spit it out.

Jennifer

I dont swallow the wax, I just chew it till the honey flavor is gone and then spit it out.

Ah, okay. I’m glad I asked. I was a bit worried the wax would be irritating. I’m going to order some then. With all the liquid I consume, I like having foods I can chew so the honeycomb sounds really nice. Thank you for mentioning it. I appreciate it!

Here is a honey fact site Jennifer, that talks about the honey in the comb being healthier....

"When it remains sealed, raw honey is in itsmost pureand most nutritious form because it is straight from the source. This is something that liquid honey can’t provide. Honey that is removed from the honeycomb is exposed to air, which pulls water from the atmosphere. This leads to dilution in the honey that creates a slight but significant difference in nutritional value."