Lower Growth Hormone (hGH) And IGF-1 Levels In Men Extends Lifespan

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study is important because it was done on humans and confirms a lot of what Ray has written about the dangers of pituitary hormones, including hGH. Combined with the well-known link between hGH and cancer I am not sure how sane the doctor advising all the athletes juicing with hGH are. The hormone IGF-1 is driven primarily by etsrogen, so high IGF-1 levels are typically found in hyperestrogenic conditions. This is actually the only reason why estrogen appears beneficial to bone health in studies - i.e. through its boosting of IGF-1. However, with age and declining health, the prolactin release that estrogen also triggers overcomes the effects (and release) of IGF-1 and estrogen ends up destroying the bones when chronically elevated.
Anyways, I think the morale of the story for (at least male) forum members is to keep estrogen at bay in order to promote longevity.

The GH receptor exon 3 deletion is a marker of male-specific exceptional longevity associated with increased GH sensitivity and taller stature | Science Advances
"...Given the potential role of the GH/IGF axis in longevity, we hypothesize that low IGF-1 levels will assure longevity of the d3-GHR carriers. To address this hypothesis, we genotyped d3-GHRlocus in four human cohorts with long-lived participants, and we tested its association with longevity-related phenotypes and stature with a relatively common GHR variation."

http://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...e/Mutation-Linked-to-Longer-Life-Span-in-Men/

"...Nailing down genetic factors linked to longevity in humans has proven challenging, but a new study points to a deletion involving growth hormone receptor gene’s exon 3 (d3-GHR) as possibly playing a significant role. Among 841 people from long-lived populations, the proportion of individuals carrying two copies of d3-GHR increased with age. The effect was specific to men, who lived some 10 years longer than those without the mutation. The results were published Friday (June 16) in Science Advances."

"...Interestingly, Atzmon and his colleagues found that the men with two copies of the d3-GHR deletion were on average one inch taller than other men—the opposite what they had expected. The researchers suspect that the mutation somehow amplifies the receptor’s response to surges in growth hormone, such as during pubertal growth spurts, while at the same time limiting such responses to growth hormone in adulthood, causing cells to divide more slowly—thereby slowing aging."

"...The results call into question the practice of prescribing growth hormone in the hopes of restoring or maintaining a more youthful body, study coauthor Nir Barzilai, a geneticist at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, told The New York Times. “We’re worried about giving treatments that probably are going to do the opposite.”"

T

tca300

@Wagner83

Me in 2013 - " I understand that growth hormone ( IGF-1) is bad but it seems that drinking Milk increases it. Is that something to worry about? "

Ray's response - "no"

I almost peed I was laughing so hard.

Ron J

@Wagner83

Me in 2013 - " I understand that growth hormone ( IGF-1) is bad but it seems that drinking Milk increases it. Is that something to worry about? "

Ray's response - "no"

What about DHEA? Doesn't it also increase IGF-1?

What about DHEA? Doesn't it also increase IGF-1?
www.ergo-log.com/dheaplusatamestane
Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone and atamestane supplementation on frailty in elderly men. - PubMed - NCBI
Using 50mg/day dhea results on some bio markers like igf-1:
dheaatemestbig.gif

Anyone know what range Ray thinks IGF-1 levels should be at for certain ages?

The_xXx

The study is important because it was done on humans and confirms a lot of what Ray has written about the dangers of pituitary hormones, including hGH. Combined with the well-known link between hGH and cancer I am not sure how sane the doctor advising all the athletes juicing with hGH are. The hormone IGF-1 is driven primarily by etsrogen, so high IGF-1 levels are typically found in hyperestrogenic conditions. This is actually the only reason why estrogen appears beneficial to bone health in studies - i.e. through its boosting of IGF-1. However, with age and declining health, the prolactin release that estrogen also triggers overcomes the effects (and release) of IGF-1 and estrogen ends up destroying the bones when chronically elevated.
Anyways, I think the morale of the story for (at least male) forum members is to keep estrogen at bay in order to promote longevity.

The GH receptor exon 3 deletion is a marker of male-specific exceptional longevity associated with increased GH sensitivity and taller stature | Science Advances
"...Given the potential role of the GH/IGF axis in longevity, we hypothesize that low IGF-1 levels will assure longevity of the d3-GHR carriers. To address this hypothesis, we genotyped d3-GHRlocus in four human cohorts with long-lived participants, and we tested its association with longevity-related phenotypes and stature with a relatively common GHR variation."

http://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...e/Mutation-Linked-to-Longer-Life-Span-in-Men/

"...Nailing down genetic factors linked to longevity in humans has proven challenging, but a new study points to a deletion involving growth hormone receptor gene’s exon 3 (d3-GHR) as possibly playing a significant role. Among 841 people from long-lived populations, the proportion of individuals carrying two copies of d3-GHR increased with age. The effect was specific to men, who lived some 10 years longer than those without the mutation. The results were published Friday (June 16) in Science Advances."

"...Interestingly, Atzmon and his colleagues found that the men with two copies of the d3-GHR deletion were on average one inch taller than other men—the opposite what they had expected. The researchers suspect that the mutation somehow amplifies the receptor’s response to surges in growth hormone, such as during pubertal growth spurts, while at the same time limiting such responses to growth hormone in adulthood, causing cells to divide more slowly—thereby slowing aging."

"...The results call into question the practice of prescribing growth hormone in the hopes of restoring or maintaining a more youthful body, study coauthor Nir Barzilai, a geneticist at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, told The New York Times. “We’re worried about giving treatments that probably are going to do the opposite.”"
higher androgen level will also cause higher hgh levels and vice versa also. So its not only linked to estrogen itself. Higher t3 level also cause higher hgh level so why telling all ppl increase t3 or even recommend them to supplement... it i dont understand the point. And i think also you will never reach that high level of HGH trough food, that will harm you

TubZy

Thanks dude this was so helpful, when using GH/GH precursors in the past, my skin looked great, and I could never pinpoint down why something that raised cortisol/prolactin and suppressed thyroid could actually do that. But it makes sense that estrogen can raise IGF that is causing the result which is obviously not a good thing. Crazy how obsessed the hollywood, athletic and bodybuilding community glorify GH.

Wagner83

@Wagner83

Ray's response - "no"

Lol , I think he has accepted no food is perfect and he has settled for his, I think even if there were studies showing drinking 2 L of milk a day promotes cancer by 78 % he would not stop.

Scenes

Lol , I think he has accepted no food is perfect and he has settled for his, I think even if there were studies showing drinking 2 L of milk a day promotes cancer by 78 % he would not stop.
So are we off milk now!?

T

tca300

@Wagner83 @Scenes He has been drinking about a gallon for the last 50 years and is still kicken. Fred Kummerow lived to be 102 and was drinking large quantities of milk everyday. Thomas Parr, allegedly had an affair beyond the age of 100 and his diets was mostly milk, and cheese. George Bernhard Shaw lived to be 94 ( probably would have lived much longer if he hadn't sustained injuries that he had gotten after he had fallen while pruning a tree, which is something I've never seen or heard of for a person in their 90's to be doing in the first place ) he was a vegetarian and drank lots of milk, and ate cheese. The long-lived people of Azerbaijan are another example. There are many other accounts of long lived people whose diet is heavy in milk and its derivatives.
But ultimately its your life, and you should do what you think is best for you.

Mage

@tca300 Man, I'm a newbie here and I'm slowly introducing a lot of milk in my diet, do you know if Ray has no explanation or argument for the IGF-1 issue? A lot of people must have asked him about this by now, especially with all the anti-dairy propaganda going on these days

Also, how much calcium are you guys consuming? I'm starting to eat over 3000mg of Ca daily and I'm getting kinda worried about it lol, is supplementing vitamin K mandatory when eating this much? I've seen a thread where you share your diet and you're consuming 5000mg daily, so I guess you can help me on this one, thanks!

TubZy

Honestly, I don't think milk is that bad, I mean pro BBers abuse the crap out of HGH injecting massive amounts of IU's everyday and they are still living decently long lives. sure it is not healthy, but I don't know if I would compare milk to injecting massive amounts of HGH per day. I think some milk really isn't that big of deal, just my 2 cents.

T

tca300

@Mage Ray just doesn't see it as an issue.
I can't speak for others, but I get a little over 5000mg per day. Vitamin K is important no matter how much calcium your eating because your skeleton is a much larger source that will be introduced into the equation if your not getting enough through diet.
I have not encountered any issues. I use k and transdermal magnesium, but would do those things even with a lower calcium intake.

Mage

Thank you for the help! How much K are you supplementing with? Is it MK-4 only? I know this is a little bit off-topic, but I'm kinda lost in this regard..

Wagner83

@Wagner83 @Scenes He has been drinking about a gallon for the last 50 years and is still kicken. Fred Kummerow lived to be 102 and was drinking large quantities of milk everyday. Thomas Parr, allegedly had an affair beyond the age of 100 and his diets was mostly milk, and cheese. George Bernhard Shaw lived to be 94 ( probably would have lived much longer if he hadn't sustained injuries that he had gotten after he had fallen while pruning a tree, which is something I've never seen or heard of for a person in their 90's to be doing in the first place ) he was a vegetarian and drank lots of milk, and ate cheese. The long-lived people of Azerbaijan are another example. There are many other accounts of long lived people whose diet is heavy in milk and its derivatives.
But ultimately its your life, and you should do what you think is best for you.
Just to clarify things (if needed), my first post was just some leg pulling as I know Ray's diet is milk centered, I don't have a particular opinion about what diets or foods are safe, the more I read the less I know, amazing!

T

tca300

Thank you for the help! How much K are you supplementing with? Is it MK-4 only? I know this is a little bit off-topic, but I'm kinda lost in this regard..
I dont remember if haidut posted studies or evidence, but I remember he had said 5-6 mg of Mk-4 can keep levels up ( maintenance dose ) after someone had spent a decent amount of time at a higher dose. I think 5-6 mg per day would probably eventually bring levels up to a good concentration, but Im not sure. I spent a year or so using 15+mg per day, now I just use about 6mg MK-4 per day, mostly because of cost, otherwise I might use more. Yes its MK 4 only.

raypeatclips

@tca300 Man, I'm a newbie here and I'm slowly introducing a lot of milk in my diet, do you know if Ray has no explanation or argument for the IGF-1 issue? A lot of people must have asked him about this by now, especially with all the anti-dairy propaganda going on these days

Also, how much calcium are you guys consuming? I'm starting to eat over 3000mg of Ca daily and I'm getting kinda worried about it lol, is supplementing vitamin K mandatory when eating this much? I've seen a thread where you share your diet and you're consuming 5000mg daily, so I guess you can help me on this one, thanks!

Make sure you get enough magnesium, this was something I neglected for a long time.