Lower Ceruloplasmin Found In Parkinson’s

Douglas Ek

Hi recently I’ve been raving about irons role in proper dopamine function. Also the importance of proper iron function. This led me to ferroxidase (ceruloplasmin) which is the primary enzyme to handle and shuttle iron through cells and transport it through out the body.
Found several studies linking lower ceruloplasmin levels in Parkinson’s disease. My question is what came first? Parkinson’s and then low ceruloplasmin or is low ceruloplasmin a causative factor for Parkinson’s and dopamine dysfunction. It does sound solid as iron deposition in brain is related to neruonal dopamine celll death in parkinson’s. Why would dopamine deposit excessivly in the brain and tissue?
Due to lower ceruloplasmin meaning the iron doesn’t have anywhere to go.

JNM | Mobile

Serum Ceruloplasmin and Striatal Dopamine Transporter Density in Parkinson Disease: Comparison With 123I-FP-CIT SPECT. - PubMed - NCBI

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2014/147251/

Ceruloplasmin is intimately linked to iron efflux from the brain because, as in the liver, ceruloplasmin oxidizes iron that has been previously transported by ferroportin to be incorporated into transferrin [26]. Aceruloplasminemia, a genetic condition producing a lack of function of circulating ceruloplasmin, is characterized by iron accumulation, remarkably in the brain, where it is associated with neurodegeneration and extrapyramidal parkinsonian symptoms [64]. In fact, diseases known to involve the accumulation of iron in the brain, for example, aceruloplasminemia, ferritinopathy, and a syndrome of neurodegeneration with brain iron accumulation, are characterized by neuronal death and motor manifestations similar to those of Parkinson’s disease [26].”

tara

What can be done to increase ceruloplasmin?
IIRC, Peat has said this was an area worthy of more study. I don't think I've come across him saying how.

It's one of the things Morley Robbins talks about, too.

Astolfo

IIRC, Peat has said this was an area worthy of more study. I don't think I've come across him saying how.

It's one of the things Morley Robbins talks about, too.
Thanks.

Btw, today, my doctor gave me a blood test which contains ceruloplasmin check. My ceruloplasmin came as 17 mg/dL (Ref: 15-37).

@haidut I wonder if you have an idea?

Lucas

I have low ceruloplasmim (around 17, below the reference range), ferritin close to 300, and have restless leg syndrome when I sleep and some head tremors at day.

My Grandpa died of Parkinson, and now I am worried.

Dave Clark

I have low ceruloplasmim (around 17, below the reference range), ferritin close to 300, and have restless leg syndrome when I sleep and some head tremors at day.

Why don't you try Morley's Root Cause Protocol (sans the Cod liver oil)? That may very well help your situation and your numbers. Go to his website for more details. He focuses on ceruloplasmin, ferroxidase, copper, retinol, etc.

OP
D

Douglas Ek

Thanks.

Btw, today, my doctor gave me a blood test which contains ceruloplasmin check. My ceruloplasmin came as 17 mg/dL (Ref: 15-37).

@haidut I wonder if you have an idea?

I had 15 and managed to get mine up to 22 by just taking copper, retinol and eat beef liver. The root cause protocol is all about raising ceruloplasmin. Google that. But overall what you want is following

Copper
Retinol essential to ceruloplasmin
B-vitamins, biotin and riboflavin needed for ceruloplasmin
Magnesium increases transferrin
Boron shown to increase ceruloplasmin
Silica shown to increase ceruloplasmin
Taurine needed for copper metabolism and lots of other minerals

Avoid high doses of zinc
Avoid high doses long term vitamin D

OP
D

Douglas Ek

I think low ceruloplasmin is common in todays society. We don’t get enough copper from food and much more zinc. Also people tend to supplement with zinc and also vitamin D which can counteract vitamin A more often these are taken than copper and retinol. Check my previous comment for other supplements needed for proper iron metabolism. For your case I would add 200 IU vitamin E right away. It doesn’t help with copper and ceruloplasmin but mean time while you fix the problem vitamin E is extremly protective of iron excess. There’s studies that a single dose of vitamin E 100% protected rats from an lethal dose of iron. So for a person with chronic high iron vitamin E is a good way to balance the scale. I would in your case try to increase ceruloplasmin, donate blood, take vitamin E and magnesium as they are protective. Also aspirin is protective of excess iron. But be careful combining to high doses of E and aspirin as they are blood thinners.

IP6 aswell
Neuroprotective effect of the natural iron chelator, phytic acid in a cell culture model of Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Cirion

Interesting thoughts. I am not at all surprised to see things like zinc, copper vitamin D, A, etc all be connected to each other, and probably helps explain issues such as a recent surge of VA toxicity cases. It's so easy to throw things out of balance when we often supplement 10,100, even 1000+x RDA of something just because we "think" we are deficient in it.

For now I no longer supplement ANYTHING. I am going to optimize my health via food alone as much as I can before I bring any supplements back. Too easy to screw something up via supplementation.

magnesiumania

I had 15 and managed to get mine up to 22 by just taking copper, retinol and eat beef liver. The root cause protocol is all about raising ceruloplasmin. Google that. But overall what you want is following

Copper
Retinol essential to ceruloplasmin
B-vitamins, biotin and riboflavin needed for ceruloplasmin
Magnesium increases transferrin
Boron shown to increase ceruloplasmin
Silica shown to increase ceruloplasmin
Taurine needed for copper metabolism and lots of other minerals

Avoid high doses of zinc
Avoid high doses long term vitamin D

What do you think about this tho? He seem kinda nutty to me but i cant really disprove what he's saying about silica....

Makrosky

I still don't know if high Vitamin C intakes lead to lower ceruloplasmin. Does anybody have kind of a definitive answer on that ?

magnesiumania

Peat is against silica

I'd really like to know why..... Ive been taking DE for a long time but im stopping from today....Is silica in supplements the same form? I mean we get silica in some foods like beans and i cant believe thats harmful. An additive i could understand.

Last edited:

magnesiumania

I still don't know if high Vitamin C intakes lead to lower ceruloplasmin. Does anybody have kind of a definitive answer on that ?
Isolated ascorbic acid has been shown to prevent copper from binding to its enzymes (also inside the cell, SOD etc). Vitamin C from foods is more than ascorbic acid (like the tyrosinase enyzyme) and support ceruloplasmin.

Dave Clark

Isolated ascorbic acid has been shown to prevent copper from binding to its enzymes (also inside the cell, SOD etc). Vitamin C from foods is more than ascorbic acid (like the tyrosinase enyzyme) and support ceruloplasmin.
Question for me is, does the tyrosinase enzyme disassociate with the vitamin C once consumed and in the body? Reason I ask is that I had read that we have a gene that tells our body to make tyrosinase, so if we have good levels of copper and tyrosine for our body to make it, does the tyrosinase enzyme really have to be attached to the C complex?

Cirion

Nathan hatch talks about silica. He says naturally occurring silica is different than the stuff you see in supplements which is harmful.

tara

Ive been taking DE for a long time but im stopping from today
I don't know enough about silica in foods to have an informed opinion about it yet, but I think DE is physically rough on the gut lining, so I would be cautious about using it for prolonged periods.