Low Tryptophan Diet

Travis

so Phenylalanine and Leucine in high dosages will do it?
Leucine has anabolic effect when not balanced by the others, as it activates the mTOR pathway. Phenylalanine can become dopamine by being twice‐hydroxylated, but if it fails to do so it can interfere with nerve transmission (phenylketonuria). Gelatin should be all that's required because you cannot eliminate brain serotonin completely; I think it's enough to lower it by 30% or so. Also, a person should be careful about taking isolated amino acids because about half of them have secondary functions besides their structural roles; for example:

methionine ⟶ polyamines ± SAM
tyrosine ⟶ dopamine ± catecholamines
histamine ⟶ histadine ± urocanic acid
arginine ⟶ nitric oxide
tryptophan ⟶ serotonin
leucine ⟶ cholesterol (mTOR)
threonine ⟶ methylglyoxal

And of course aspartate and glutamate are 'excitatory neurotransmitters' without modification, but their ability to cross the blood–brain barrier is limited (being polar amino acids.) I think MSG fearmongering is a bit exaggerated—perhaps to divert attention away from more important things by creating a scapegoat, and perhaps even as an economic attack on Asian restaurants (competitors of American restaurants).

So I think amino acid ratios are important, and even more so if you deviate from the more‐or‐less natural ratios found in foods. I think cooking certain foods can increase the rate of tryptophan release by breaking down fiber, but I haven't seen any studies on this—just a feeling that I get from eating raw vs cooked food of same type.

Last edited:
OP
M

member 6316

Leucine has anabolic effect when not balanced by the others, as it activates the mTOR pathway. Phenylalanine can become dopamine by being twice‐hydroxylated, but if it fails to do so it can interfere with nerve transmission (phenylketonuria). Gelatin should be all that's required because you cannot eliminate brain serotonin completely; I think it's enough to lower it by 30% or so. Also, a person should be careful about taking isolated amino acids because about half of them have secondary functions besides their structural roles; for example:

methionine ⟶ polyamines ± SAM
tyrosine ⟶ dopamine ± catecholamines
histamine ⟶ histadine ± urocanic acid
arginine ⟶ nitric oxide
tryptophan ⟶ serotonin
leucine ⟶ cholesterol (mTOR)
threonine ⟶ methylglyoxal

And of course aspartate and glutamate are 'excitatory neurotransmitters' without modification, but their ability to cross the blood–brain barrier is limited (being polar amino acids.) I think MSG fearmongering is a bit exaggerated—perhaps to divert attention away from more important things by creating a scapegoat, and perhaps even as an economic attack on Asian restaurants (competitors of American restaurants).

So I think amino acid ratios are important, and even more so if you deviate from the more‐or‐less natural ratios found in foods. I think cooking certain foods can increase the rate of tryptophan release by breaking down fiber, but I haven't seen any studies on this—just a feeling that I get from eating raw vs cooked food of same type.
so I dont quite understand what should I take? just gelatin? I want atleast half of my brain serotonin gone 50% , would these 3 do it? =
I was thinking Phenylalanine ,Leucine and gelatin supplement with no change in diet
I dont mind the side effects.

Thoushant

The two proteins with the highest Fernstrom Ratios are always listed as those from whey and egg white. However, these are two half‐fractionated proteins with natural counterparts in cheese and egg yolk. I think someone needs to start a thread where people can calculate Fernstrom Ratios when they're bored or curious, and then eventually we could have dozens of them. I wish the cronometer would calculate them automatically, but it doesn't.

So unless the egg yolk is particularly low in tryptophan, then the whole egg should have a higher Fernstrom Ratio than most foods.

Can be really valuable. If the calculation isn't too complex. I think an online spreadsheet with data and sources can help people contribute.
Any way to do anonymous google spreadsheets(or alternatives)? Not having luck creating new google account.
so Phenylalanine and Leucine supplement in high dosages will do it?

This was my thought to do, after stumbling on the article.they used 6.2 g PHE+Leu/10 kg bw for a pilot study. so I might come around to a smaller dosage with high tryptophan food. @Travis raised good point about solo supplementing amino acids though, so wouldn't go crazy with it now. BCAA also reduces tryptophan crossover, that and gelatin added might might push the fernstrom ratio down.
Otherwise the free fatty acids and insulin I think might be more consistent long term.

As a side question, it could be helpful to lower tryptophan/serotonin in small timeframes every some weeks, and hopefully other processes affected by serotonin would have opportunity to correct/find new balance little by litte?

johnwester130

potato/celery soup with gelatin powder

masa harina for starch

fruit . oysters.

Estroban to prevent fat soluble deficiency.

Boring diet but it could work

OP
M

member 6316

guys is it possible to take a multivitamin/mineral and supplement important amino acids and your good dont need to eat?

Jerimy Brown

guys is it possible to take a multivitamin/mineral and supplement important amino acids and your good dont need to eat?

This is an interesting question, that I will be curious to see the answer to as well, because prior to the accidental serotonin syndrome I am currently trying to regulate, I was intermittent day fasting which helped me drop 40 pounds and get into the best shape I have ever been in, and now dealing with this serotonin syndrome, if I don't eat regularly, I feel terrible, but I am not used to eating this often, and frankly don't care for it, especially if it means going backwards in the gym for some period of time.

Further more, it would be awesome if stores were forced to put warning labels on products with 5-htp, in them, instead of just assuming it's completely safe for everyone... I didn't want or need a serotonin boost and the bad reaction I had to 5-htp has been a nightmare for the last week. I am getting better and it's happening faster since I found this site/forum and am able to make some educated dietary and supplement decisions, but probably been the worst week of my life... But maybe I am just venting too much now hahaha ;)

Last edited:

Paul85

Last week i have the Same prob with serotonine i was to hospital !!!! I don t know What to Eat right Now and my appetite is slow !!! Pls i need help !!!

L

lollipop

Last week i have the Same prob with serotonine i was to hospital !!!! I don t know What to Eat right Now and my appetite is slow !!! Pls i need help !!!
A few things I have had success eating that were pleasurable and provided nutrients and super easy to digest (for me): ice cream and milkshakes, rice, scrambled eggs, applesauce.

Hope this helps!

Paul85

Ok Thx ! I try today to Eat wite rice with chicken legs ( the down part Wher is the colagen ) and after 1 hour my body Temp rise from 35,6 ear Temp to 37! And my arm Temp 36 from 35.3 ! I don t know if it s the carbs or serotonine from the rice ....

Paul85

IMG_0378.JPG

It's not possible to eliminate it completely, but a low tryptophan diet will reduce serotonin. If tryptophan is made a limiting amino acid, more of it will be incorporated into structural proteins and less will be converted to serotonin. What is most important of brain serotonin synthesis is the Fernstrom ratio, which provides a near exact straight‐line correlation between brain serotonin and plasma amino acids:

Fernstrom Ratio = (Tryptophan) ÷ (Tyr + Phe + Val + Ile + Leu)

Just taking the amino acids in the divisor will lower brain serotonin synthesis almost in real time, but you still need to consume all 21 or so amino acids.

The foods with the highest tryptophan ratio that I can think of are eggs and beef. Milk has some but cheese has less, as more of the tryptophan is lost in whey fraction than you'd expect based on mass alone. And almost paradoxically, pure sugar will raise serotonin more than sugar + protein; this is because insulin pulls all amino acids into the cell except for tryptophan, which is bound to albumin. This functionally increases the Fernstrom Ratio and brain serotonin synthesis, despite the fact that sugar has no protein to speak of. So reducing brain serotonin involves avoiding insulin spikes as well as choosing foods with a low Fernstrom Ratio.

tryptophan/100g protein
milk: 1290mg
Gouda: 1297mg
Feta: 1282mg
pollack: 1002mg
ground beef: 1102mg

Cheese > Milk > Beef. If anything white fish is low in T.

D

Deleted member 5487

You eat peas and broccoli pressured cooked. Slap on some CO and salt for antiseptic effect.

Watch as your stomach and edema deflate, cortisol tank and fat starts falling off. You finally stopped signalling to your body GROW with loads of trytytophan/methanione/cycsteine. Like a baby cow or developing chick needs

You'll be surprised how much better you feel. Quite remarkable.

A big glass or milk or some eggs will make you wonder why you ever would eat animal protein agian. But some BBQ meat or gelatonues shank/oaxtail and seafood has enough glycine/taurine to eat regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dino D

You eat peas and broccoli pressured cooked. Slap on some CO and salt for antiseptic effect.

Watch as your stomach and edema deflate, cortisol tank and fat starts falling off. You finally stopped signalling to your body GROW with loads of trytytophan/methanione/cycsteine. Like a baby cow or developing chick needs

You'll be surprised how much better you feel. Quite remarkable.

A big glass or milk or some eggs will make you wonder why you ever would eat animal protein agian. But some BBQ meat or gelatonues shank/oaxtail and seafood has enough glycine/taurine to eat regularly.

Hey, you havent answerd on my question on your thread (starch and tryptophan)
Im interested how are you doing now, still losing?, and what does your diet plan look like, what do you eat in one day?