Low Temps, Warm Extremities

scarlettsmum

Why do I have low temperatures like 35.5 (95.9. F), but my extremities are warm?
What do you do when you have low temp and not feel hungry?

NathanK

Why do I have low temperatures like 35.5 (95.9. F), but my extremities are warm?
What do you do when you have low temp and not feel hungry?
Probably a combination of stress hormones (adrenaline can suppress hunger and cortisol can make you feel warmer) and a bad digital thermometer.

Get a reading from another thermometer. I find with some thermometers that cold ambient temps can skew readings so hold it in the palm of your hand for 10-15 seconds before turning on. Dont be talking or breathing out of your mouth prior either. I think a lot of suspected dire hypothyroidism cases can be fixed by just taking more true temps.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Probably a combination of stress hormones (adrenaline can suppress hunger and cortisol can make you feel warmer) and a bad digital thermometer.

Get a reading from another thermometer. I find with some thermometers that cold ambient temps can skew readings so hold it in the palm of your hand for 10-15 seconds before turning on. Dont be talking or breathing out of your mouth prior either. I think a lot of suspected dire hypothyroidism cases can be fixed by just taking more true temps.

Thanks NathanK, I think you are right about the adrenalin supressing hunger and cortisol making me warmer, that makes sense. I am trying about 3 different digital thermometers regularly of which one is really accurate for tracking woman's cycles and they all indicate really low temps, so I don't think all three thermometers could be wrong? I don't talk and I try not to breathe through my mouth when taking temperature, although sometimes it is difficult as I'm often bunged up, due to some mild allergy symptoms.

tara

I think a lot of suspected dire hypothyroidism cases can be fixed by just taking more true temps.

I can imagine this. I was measuring every morning before rising for nearly a week recently, and it took more than 5 mins to stabilise. If I'd taken at less than five mins, I would have thought temps were under 36 C. After 10 mins, they came up to 36.4 each time.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I don't take temps first thing in the morning. I take it before and 20 mins. after breakfast and throughout the day. Would this be different then? Also, I have finally been to see the doctor first thing this morning and am having an ultrasound of my thyroid and blood tests tomorrow as I have a swelling in the neck, very high cholesterol from last test (to be confirmed again with a new test tomorrow) and he suspects hypothyroidism...Not sure if relevant at all until actually confirmed.

NathanK

I don't take temps first thing in the morning. I take it before and 20 mins. after breakfast and throughout the day. Would this be different then? Also, I have finally been to see the doctor first thing this morning and am having an ultrasound of my thyroid and blood tests tomorrow as I have a swelling in the neck, very high cholesterol from last test (to be confirmed again with a new test tomorrow) and he suspects hypothyroidism...Not sure if relevant at all until actually confirmed.
You have all of the obvious signs for this board. Your swelling neck should is an obvious one for your doc if he doesn't pay attention to cholesterol or temps. ~95 degrees is pretty low. I mentioned the thermometer because I was getting basal temps around 95 when I first started tracking until I switched out my thermometer and paid closer attention to my methods. Especially in the winter.

I think why Tara mentioned basal temps is because that is what Broda Barnes used as a marker hypothyroidism. Anything outside 97.8-987.2 degrees was considered an indication. I suspect your labs will be telling.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals