Low Stomach Acid

I suspect I have Hypochlorhydria.
  • Things like coffee, RedBull, coke, help with getting bowel movements. They do not improve bloating.
  • I also supplemented Zinc, B6 (pyridoxine) for a while, no effect on digestion.
  • Baking soda: no effect on digestion.
  • ACV: minimal positive effects on degestion, does not reduce bloating. Feels good taking it
  • Taking thyroid (1 week on it)- does not reduce bloating, does not improve transit time.
  • carrot salad - minor improvements in transit time, no effect on bloating.
I have 1-2 bowel movements / day, so I'm good in this regard. My problem is permanent bloating. Every food gives me bloating.
I ordered charcoal, should arrive in a few days.
Any updates?

Motif

• Things like coffee, RedBull, coke, help with getting bowel movements. They do not improve bloating.
  • I also supplemented Zinc, B6 (pyridoxine) for a while, no effect on digestion.
  • ACV: minimal positive effects on degestion, does not reduce bloating. Feels good taking it
  • Taking thyroid (1 week on it)- does not reduce bloating, does not improve transit time.
I have 1-2 bowel movements / day, so I'm good in this regard. My problem is permanent bloating. Every food gives me bloating.

would be interested too if anything helped with your digestion!

Motif

How did this continue ? Anything helped ?

Palerider

Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin has been a game-changer for me in dealing with any and all forms of indigestion, bloating, nausea, heartburn etc.
Also found fresh raw ginger sliced and steeped in boiling water or in tea good for improving digestion and countering post-meal bloat and nausea.

Motif

Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin has been a game-changer for me in dealing with any and all forms of indigestion, bloating, nausea, heartburn etc.
Also found fresh raw ginger sliced and steeped in boiling water or in tea good for improving digestion and countering post-meal bloat and nausea.

how much do you take per meal and do you take it more to the beginning or end of a meal ?

Motif

Not really.
I do have regular bowel movements, but they’re incomplete.
Cascara is the best thing I have tried so far for digestion.
Isn’t cascara just speeding transit time up ? That’s all it does , right ?

Palerider

how much do you take per meal and do you take it more to the beginning or end of a meal ?
Usually around 4 tablets (I use Solgar) immediately prior to, but it works even if taken after the meal.

Motif

Usually around 4 tablets (I use Solgar) immediately prior to, but it works even if taken after the meal.
So one has 325 mg. Why did you decide to take four of them to each meal? I really struggle to find out how much I should take

Palerider

So one has 325 mg. Why did you decide to take four of them to each meal? I really struggle to find out how much I should take
I started with one and gradually increased until the symptoms (bloat etc) disappeared. On occasion I will take up to 4 additional tablets after the meal if I happen to have eaten something more difficult to digest, or if the symptoms reappear.

The risk of harming yourself appears to be pretty low if you don't excessively increase your dosage in one go.

Last edited:

Motif

I started with one and gradually increased until the symptoms (boat etc) disappeared. On occasion I will take up to 4 additional tablets after the meal if I happen to have eaten something more difficult to digest, or if the symptoms reappear.

The risk of harming yourself appears to be pretty low if you don't excessively increase your dosage in one go.

ok; that’s a good indicator. I “unfortunately“don’t have this

mostlylurking

I'm going to perhaps try the Betain test for low stomach acid, as I've been having some discomfort, gas and other things while doing Peat lately. But if it is low acid, how do you fix that, I mean you can't stay on these Betain pills for life. What are things suggested to improve low stomach acid so that it remains stable on it's own??? I Know I read that low stomach acid is just one more symptom of hypothyroid, so it wouldn't surprise me, but how do you get it kicked in the butt?
Thiamine is required for the production of stomach acid and all the other digestive functions.

High dose thiamine hcl corrected my multiple digestive tract issues including very low stomach acid.

wildworld1992

Thiamine is required for the production of stomach acid and all the other digestive functions.

High dose thiamine hcl corrected my multiple digestive tract issues including very low stomach acid.
What dosage and how long it took to solve your issues?

mostlylurking

What dosage and how long it took to solve your issues?
I started increasing my dose with about 250mg 2Xday of thiamine hcl. Over the next 4 months I increased the dosage each time it stopped working as well (about every 10-14 days) until I reached 1000mg (1gram) 2Xday. After 2 days on the 2grams/day, my digestive tract normalized and has stayed that way. My food sensitivities are pretty much gone although I can't eat a plateful of spaghetti as I'm gluten sensitive if I over do it. I'm also still sensitive to nightshade plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers). I've posted about this before.

wildworld1992

I started increasing my dose with about 250mg 2Xday of thiamine hcl. Over the next 4 months I increased the dosage each time it stopped working as well (about every 10-14 days) until I reached 1000mg (1gram) 2Xday. After 2 days on the 2grams/day, my digestive tract normalized and has stayed that way. My food sensitivities are pretty much gone although I can't eat a plateful of spaghetti as I'm gluten sensitive if I over do it. I'm also still sensitive to nightshade plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers). I've posted about this before.
Are you still taking 2grams/day to keep the benefits? Or you have stopped taking B1?

mostlylurking

Are you still taking 2grams/day to keep the benefits? Or you have stopped taking B1?
I'm still taking it (2grams/day for 16 months). It's not the only thing I take. I also take riboflavin, niacinamide, biotin, magnesium glycinate, pregnenolone, progesterone. I'm only high dosing the thiamine hcl; the rest are pretty average doses.

wildworld1992

I'm still taking it (2grams/day for 16 months). It's not the only thing I take. I also take riboflavin, niacinamide, biotin, magnesium glycinate, pregnenolone, progesterone. I'm only high dosing the thiamine hcl; the rest are pretty average doses.
If u need high dose b1 all the time I guess there might be other things go wrong in your body?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals