Low Stomach Acid/Bloating/Silent Reflux

paciencia

Hello all, this will be my first post on this forum so I apologise if I’m making any mistakes with formatting.

I’ve been having on/off issues with silent reflux for a number of years now. Just recently they got significantly worse so I went to a doctor and was hurried out the door with a PPI subscription. While these did fix some of the more severe acid pain I think they’re responsible for messing up my digestion completely. I’m constantly bloated, low energy, belching, and I feel as though even small meals sit in my gut for hours. Does anyone have any advice as to ways I can remedy this? I’m barely able to get any nutritious calories in and I don’t want this to continue and cause other issues.

Ron J

Suggestions on RP forum that helped me are the following:
-Enough salt
-Taurine
-TUDCA
-Betaine HCL
-Ox Bile
-Limit liquid intake along meals
Ov bile shouldn't be your first choice; if I remember correctly, it may alter your natural production of bile.
Other suggestions are bitters and caffeine.

Some people had success with acid form of Vitamin B3, nicotinic acid, AKA niacin( with flush). I have used a couple of times and it definitely increases stomach acid and reduces bloating. Also, if I don't take niacin and eat raw meat, I get diarrhea, but if I do take niacin, then raw meat doesn't give me diarrhea. I think that means that the niacin is increasing stomach acid to the point of even effectively sterilizing the food( in this case raw meat), which prevents bacterial issues.

OP
paciencia

paciencia

Suggestions on RP forum that helped me are the following:
-Enough salt
-Taurine
-TUDCA
-Betaine HCL
-Ox Bile
-Limit liquid intake along meals
Ov bile shouldn't be your first choice; if I remember correctly, it may alter your natural production of bile.
Other suggestions are bitters and caffeine.
What sort of foods were you eating during your healing process for easier digestion?

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Have you tested for SIBO? This sounds like a classic case of SIBO. You can take the 3 hour SIBO test at home or in GI doctor’s office. Research the prep diet for SIBO test and stay off antacids for a week prior.
if you have SIBO, you’ll need to take antibiotics and do the elemental diet for 2-3 weeks to knock it out. Best of luck!

Tarmander

PPIs will cause a lot of problems long term from malabsorption to changes in gut flora. I have used them in the past for a week or two without a problem but I think longer and you start to get issues.

There are literally millions of articles on GERD and other gut issues with lots of basic suggestions that you can try. Elevated pillows, avoiding acidic foods like coffee, chocolate, raw onion etc, gaviscon. Take your pick

boris

Hello all, this will be my first post on this forum so I apologise if I’m making any mistakes with formatting.

I’ve been having on/off issues with silent reflux for a number of years now. Just recently they got significantly worse so I went to a doctor and was hurried out the door with a PPI subscription. While these did fix some of the more severe acid pain I think they’re responsible for messing up my digestion completely. I’m constantly bloated, low energy, belching, and I feel as though even small meals sit in my gut for hours. Does anyone have any advice as to ways I can remedy this? I’m barely able to get any nutritious calories in and I don’t want this to continue and cause other issues.

Silent reflux is caused by reverse peristalsis. Reverse peristalsis ends in lowered stomach acid and gives bacteria the opportunity to grow. The stomach acid is still acidic enough to burn your esophagus. Bloating, belching etc. is a sign of bacterial overgrowth, low stomach acid and undigested food moving along the gut feeding bacteria. PPIs are just a bandaid solution possibly making things worse in the long rung like almost anything a doc will prescribe if you don‘t intervene.

I recently asked Dr. Peat about a similar issue, I think he wouldn‘t mind if I shared his answer:

Ray Peat: „I think reverse peristalsis is causative of both, moving bacteria up into the stomach and neutralizing the stomach’s acid, making a favorable environment for the neutrophilic H. pylori, while moving stomach acid up into the mouth during the night, damaging the teeth. Stress and hypothyroidism are known causes of reverse peristalsis.“

This is a good summary from Danny Roddy about thyroid:

Demystifying thyroid supplementation

If you test positive for H.Pylori, they can be eradicated with Clarithromycin and Amoxicillin. 10 days - 500mg Clarithromycin x2 (1 in the morning, 1 in the evening) + 1000mg Amoxicillin x2 (1 in the morning, 1 in the evening).

Ron J

What sort of foods were you eating during your healing process for easier digestion?
Foods with the lowest amount of liquid and no liquids with meals. In my case, even whole fruits had too much liquid, so I ate either dried fruits or starch with low water content.

Motif

You found something that helped ?

L

Lord Cola

Peat's answer is to fix your thyroid.

But how do you fix your thyroid without causing further stress, when your digestion isn't functioning? If you take thyroid, and you aren't able to digest food properly, you will experience stress from inadequate nutrition. If you eat too much when your digestion isn't good, you will feed bacteria, get gas, experience lots of pain, possibly worsen your situation. Insoluble fibers don't help much unless you manage to get it out of your system quick enough, which simply isn't going to happen when your digestion isn't working well.