Low Sodium And Severe Mental Illness

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
My daughter was diagnosed about 5 years ago, initially with schizophrenia - disorganized type, and subsequently bi-polar I with psychotic features, and most recently schizoaffective disorder, bi-polar type. At her last 2 hospitalizations, due inability to speak and not bathing nor eating (and of course taking meds only sporadically), it was found that her serum sodium was 127 and intravenous saline was administered. In both instances, she quickly responded and began talking clearly. Having seen such a dramatic change, we are now concerned that whatever is causing the hyponatremia is critically important to her mental state.

Of course, once transferred to Behavioral Health, no one is looking at her electrolytes, despite our repeated requests - they are just looking for the right AP. In the ER, it was assumed that she was "just dehydrated or had too much water or alcohol and no food. Fixed it right away with the saline IV, so no problem."

But this might be a very big problem for her, since it obviously exacerbates her mental state. I've read some sources that discuss effects of hyponatremia, but nothing useful on how to find the root cause and how to treat it. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

OP
JudiBlueHen

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Yes we will certainly ask her to do that, and she has no objection to salt, but by the time she starts fading, she cannot remember to eat, much less add a little salt!

lampofred

I sometimes go into a really bad state mentally if I try to be too rigid with the Ray Peat diet (sticking to only milk, OJ, and eggs for days) and what quickly helps is drinking baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) with water. It's a lot more palatable than trying to supplement table salt. Thyroid and CO2 also help to retain salt, so bag breathing might also help.

SOMO

Yes we will certainly ask her to do that, and she has no objection to salt, but by the time she starts fading, she cannot remember to eat, much less add a little salt!

I have personally been hospitalized for low sodium a few times. The good news is, I always knew something was immediately wrong when my sodium got too low and each time was correctly able to identify that I needed to call an ambulance.

I think some people are poor retainers of electrolytes.

I once read that most of the weight lost on low-carb diets is water-weight and since water retains minerals, it makes sense to eat more sugar to retain electrolyte-balanced water.

Have you had her thyroid checked btw?
TSH should be less than 1.0

OP
JudiBlueHen

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Her thyroid was "normal" by their overly wide standards. I don't have a recent reading.
But I am curious - have you found a way to keep your electrolytes up? Would having some gatorade help? She is quite overweight due to anti-psychotics and generally eats a high fat/high carb diet.

SOMO

Her thyroid was "normal" by their overly wide standards. I don't have a recent reading.
But I am curious - have you found a way to keep your electrolytes up? Would having some gatorade help? She is quite overweight due to anti-psychotics and generally eats a high fat/high carb diet.

I would not use Gatorade except in an emergency situation.

Coconut Water is superior in every way. Just make the ingredients say Coconut Water and avoid ones with Sodium Metabosulfite (common preservative added to coconut products and it's the only preservative I've ever had a negative reaction to. It felt very heart-toxic and I had to lay in my backyard for a bit.

If she is having weight issues, some of it is likely fat mass, but it could also be extreme bloating/water weight which estrogen is known to do as well.

Progesterone seems to have a calming effect on the brain in women, so I would get her some Progesterone cream. The benefit of the cream is that she does not have to ingest or consume anything. In addition, application is easy and absorbs quickly.

I wish you luck with your daughter's issue, it sounds like you will need a multi-faceted approach and tackle the electrolytes and hormones at the same time. The good news is that I have seen a complete reversal of mental decline (both emotional stability and cognitive-performance improved after fixing diet.) Stay strong :)

OP
JudiBlueHen

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Some antidepressants have been linked to hyponatremia.

http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(17)30920-8/fulltext

My husband swears by pedialyte for electrolyte replenishment.

I just looked up pedialyte. Sounds good from electrolyte perspective, but is sweetened with sucralose and acesulfame potassium. I am quite sensitive to sucralose (24-hours of feeling almost desperate) and aspartame (bad quick headache), so I would hesitate to offer it to my daughter. I wish they'd offer alternatives without artificial sweeteners. Same problem with almost all liquid OTC cold/cough meds.

Fortunately she doesn't take antidepressants now, but did take them years ago.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just looked up pedialyte. Sounds good from electrolyte perspective, but is sweetened with sucralose and acesulfame potassium. I am quite sensitive to sucralose (24-hours of feeling almost desperate) and aspartame (bad quick headache), so I would hesitate to offer it to my daughter. I wish they'd offer alternatives without artificial sweeteners. Same problem with almost all liquid OTC cold/cough meds
There's a recipe on here for a homemade version. I'll try to find it! I wouldn't drink the store bought stuff either.

OP
JudiBlueHen

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I would not use Gatorade except in an emergency situation.

Coconut Water is superior in every way. Just make the ingredients say Coconut Water and avoid ones with Sodium Metabosulfite (common preservative added to coconut products and it's the only preservative I've ever had a negative reaction to. It felt very heart-toxic and I had to lay in my backyard for a bit.

If she is having weight issues, some of it is likely fat mass, but it could also be extreme bloating/water weight which estrogen is known to do as well.

Progesterone seems to have a calming effect on the brain in women, so I would get her some Progesterone cream. The benefit of the cream is that she does not have to ingest or consume anything. In addition, application is easy and absorbs quickly.

I wish you luck with your daughter's issue, it sounds like you will need a multi-faceted approach and tackle the electrolytes and hormones at the same time. The good news is that I have seen a complete reversal of mental decline (both emotional stability and cognitive-performance improved after fixing diet.) Stay strong :)

I like the idea of trying coconut water. Can also get her some progesterone cream.
How did you fix your diet?

Diokine

Autoimmune encephalitis often presents with hyponatremia and is often misdiagnosed as a psychiatric illness or schizophrenia. My thinking is that genetic and environmental factors, especially with viral interference, influence the generation of antibodies towards various types of nervous tissues and "receptors." The interaction of estrogen with the activity of cholinergic-type nervous tissue is also a considerable factor.

Autoimmune encephalitis in psychiatric institutions: current perspectives

Hugh Johnson

My daughter was diagnosed about 5 years ago, initially with schizophrenia - disorganized type, and subsequently bi-polar I with psychotic features, and most recently schizoaffective disorder, bi-polar type. At her last 2 hospitalizations, due inability to speak and not bathing nor eating (and of course taking meds only sporadically), it was found that her serum sodium was 127 and intravenous saline was administered. In both instances, she quickly responded and began talking clearly. Having seen such a dramatic change, we are now concerned that whatever is causing the hyponatremia is critically important to her mental state.

Of course, once transferred to Behavioral Health, no one is looking at her electrolytes, despite our repeated requests - they are just looking for the right AP. In the ER, it was assumed that she was "just dehydrated or had too much water or alcohol and no food. Fixed it right away with the saline IV, so no problem."

But this might be a very big problem for her, since it obviously exacerbates her mental state. I've read some sources that discuss effects of hyponatremia, but nothing useful on how to find the root cause and how to treat it. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
I like to mix water, baking soda and some apple cider vinegar. Tastes bad but it's a good source of baking soda and sodium acetate. Also, thyroid effects sodium levels:

An Interview With Dr. Raymond Peat: A Renowned Nutritional Counselor Offers His Thoughts About Thyroid Disease / Thyroid Disease Information Source - Articles/FAQs

jitsmonkey

I have often needed more sodium but don't care to salt my food.
One way I have combated this and if she "forgets" to salt food this may help as well.
Everyday in the morning and in the evening (at minimum) at set times I take 5g of baking soda in
carbonated water. Its helped me not forget and its helped me get much more salt more consistently. (I realize there are other issues and hand but strictly on the "get more salt" topic, this has helped)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals