Low SHBG Issue

Milan555

I've been tested with a low SHBG of 10 (range 10-50), and I'm trying to figure out how to raise it. My total testosterone is also on the lower end 300-400.

What is the BEST way to get SHBG up to a higher level? Is it possible testosterone can go up along with higher SHBG?

opethfeldt

I've been tested with a low SHBG of 10 (range 10-50), and I'm trying to figure out how to raise it. My total testosterone is also on the lower end 300-400.

What is the BEST way to get SHBG up to a higher level? Is it possible testosterone can go up along with higher SHBG?
Thyroid and progesterone both come to mind.

redsun

Loss of body fat, treating fatty liver (if you are overweight you likely have fatty liver as well), reducing prolactin if it is high, reducing insulin resistance, treating low thyroid. Taking thyroid raises SHBG but this is a crutch if you have other reasons your SHBG could be high.

Basically loss of body fat will help all of these things besides prolactin and thyroid (indirectly help thyroid by reducing liver fat). You had a previous thread about possible low iron problems. Iron deficiency will keep prolactin high and T4 to T3 conversion low. So there's an avenue you can look at if you havent already fixed it.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter

What Redsun said.

Insulin is a very potent suppressor of SHBG, so hyperinsulinemia can cause low SHBG.
Adrenal overactivity (elevated adrenaline and cortisol) promotes insulin resistance and causes hyperinsulinemia, so I'd take a look at that.

OP
M

Milan555

Got it. So is it possible that if I could correct the insulin resistance + any other causes of low SHBG, I could raise my SHBG along with my total Testosterone? I'm just trying to get to an optimal endocrine state - better Test levels and reduction of low T symptoms.

My thyroid numbers always looked fine. TSH - 1.1 , Free T4 - in top half of range, Free T3 - in top half of range

Have to re-check Ferritin. It's been very low end for some time.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Got it. So is it possible that if I could correct the insulin resistance + any other causes of low SHBG, I could raise my SHBG along with my total Testosterone? I'm just trying to get to an optimal endocrine state - better Test levels and reduction of low T symptoms.

My thyroid numbers always looked fine. TSH - 1.1 , Free T4 - in top half of range, Free T3 - in top half of range

Have to re-check Ferritin. It's been very low end for some time.
Check rT3 as well. It could be high even if the other markers are fine.

Yes, lowering elevated insulin and calming the adrenals should help increase SHBG.

OP
M

Milan555

Check rT3 as well. It could be high even if the other markers are fine.

Yes, lowering elevated insulin and calming the adrenals should help increase SHBG.

Actually, I do have elevated RT3 (usually at the very top of range or higher than normal). What do you think could be causing high RT3?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Actually, I do have elevated RT3 (usually at the very top of range or higher than normal). What do you think could be causing high RT3?
Overactive adrenals mostly.

OP
M

Milan555

Overactive adrenals mostly.
So to put it all together, high RT3, elevated insulin, and overactive adrenals may be a contibutor to low SHBG. And if I could address these, its possible I can see my SHBG increase?

Hans

Forum Supporter
So to put it all together, high RT3, elevated insulin, and overactive adrenals may be a contibutor to low SHBG. And if I could address these, its possible I can see my SHBG increase?
Most definitely.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals