Home > Health, Studies, Supps & Pharmaceuticals > Scientific Studies > Low Serum Cholesterol Level Among Patients With COVID-19 Infection

Low Serum Cholesterol Level Among Patients With COVID-19 Infection

1. FD51CA63-76A8-44CE-B713-D3EC8157852D.png
    Abstract

Background: A recent cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China, was caused by a novel coronavirus COVID-19. Meanwhile, as the infection progressed, a large number of cases were also diagnosed in Wenzhou, China. The objective of the study is to describe the clinical laboratory features, especially lipid profile of the patients with COVID-19 infection in Wenzhou.

Methods: All cases were in a designated hospital in Wenzhou, and confirmed by positive virial nucleic acid detection through PCR assay. All clinical laboratory data were from the first test results after their admission. The unpaired t test was used for data analysis.

Findings: The absolute value of white blood cells, neutrophils and lymphocytes were lower than healthy controls ( P <0.05), more significantly, the patients had sharply decreased total cholesterol (TC), HDL-cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol levels ( P <0.001), 3.70±0.09mmol/L, 1.18±0.03 mmol/L and 1.82±0.08 mmol/L respectively, and increased monocyte/HDL-cholesterol ratio (0.37±0.02 vs 0.28±0.01 in healthy control). Among the patients, the primary infection cases showed the lower HDL-cholesterol levels (1.10±0.04 mmol/L) and higher monocyte/HDL-cholesterol ratio (0.43±0.03) than the secondary infection cases by person-to-person transmission ( P <0.05). Compared with the female patients, the male patients had higher levels of monocytes [(0.46±0.02) ×10 9 /L], M/HDL-C ratio (0.44±0.02), and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH, 257.6±12.32 U/l).

Interpretation: Low serum cholesterol level in the patients with COVID-19 in Wenzhou, China. Altered serum cholesterol provide important information, and is meaningful to understand the disease.
    Low Serum Cholesterol Level Among Patients with COVID-19 Infection in Wenzhou, China by Xingzhong Hu, Dong Chen, Lianpeng Wu, Guiqing He, Wei Ye :: SSRN

2. Thanks Mito. Another piece of the puzzle.

3. People with high cholesterol are better protected against viral infections in general, so this comes at no surprise.

4. Peat is right again....shocker! :)

I have a lot of family members on statins and are terrified to come off them.

5. Such as bummer. The cholesterol myth has long been debunked. Paul Saladino has some good content on cholesterol if you want to check his stuff out and recommend it to your family members.

6. Me too.
    Statins and SSRI's and paleo diet, almond milk, low salt, no sugar, heart smart salmon and lean chicken, canola oil and nuts and seeds and salad.
    Yay! :wtf

7. Cholesterol is used to make vitamin D. Could they make enough of it even with adequate sun exposure ?

8. Thank you!

Unless Paul is their M.D unfortunately, they won't budge. Unfortunately, they've always seen me as the healthy guy in the family so they don't see a difference in me over the past 3 years of consistently doing pro metabolic stuff that Peat promotes. I was very hypothyroid, etc.....but I was lean.....ha

9. Yes he's an MD as far as I know. :)
    Yeah that's frustrating when you know you have such good helpful information that can help other but healing takes time and people want to see results yesterday.

10. Is this Stephanie Seneff? As in the amazing scientist from MIT?

11. I just said "wow" when I saw that userid. I hope so!

12. Yes he’s a MD but practices functional medicine after first working as a cardiology PA and getting frustrated with the standard of care.

13. My question is whether some of this is age dependent. For instance a 20 year old with a TC of 3.7 vs a 80 year old with 3.7

14. Thanks, a very good study. Some other related studies posted in the past. When I sent these studies to Peat a few years ago he said he knew of people who recovered from Ebola by eating egg yolks and he thought most of cholesterol's benefit is through conversion into progesterone but eating more cholesterol was still a good idea if one had viral infection.
    Higher levels of cholesterol in cells block viral infection
    Progesterone Protects Against The Flu And Helps Recovery
    Progesterone Promotes Lung Healing After Flu

@Blossom @Regina @schultz @Beastmode

15. Thank you for tagging me. I’ve taken up eating 3 yolks per day recently. Let’s hope it works!

16. Hah. We used to be fed egg yolks when we were ill as kids. And orange juice.
    Does that mean supplementing progesterone might also be helpful directly, as well as eating cholesterol?

17. That's how I understood his email - that taking progesterone directly may be even more helpful as cholesterol's benefits mainly stemmed from conversion into progesterone. But he did mention eating egg yolks as beneficial for viral infections and given his recent newsletter on cholesterol I think there is no harm in doing both - eggs (or powdered cholesterol from @charlie) and progesterone.

18. Me too Blossom. It's just easier. Pretty desolate here in Chicago. I didn't hoard any toilet paper. But I walked to the grocery and grabbed 3 dozen eggs and soft-boiled them all for snacks. Everyone is being real nice. It's just less people everywhere. The child lots are empty. I walked through Millennium park and maybe saw only 2 other people. (oddballs like me).

19. Thank you for this as a good buddy of mine's wife has COVID. I sent him the studies and also mentioned Cypro as an adjunct solution as well.

20. how does one attain cypro.

21. Cyproheptadine

It's @haidut's company. Besides thyroid, it's a product I will have in my household forever.

22. @haidut how are things looking, in terms of inventory and supply of supps. Can I wait to order?

23. Peat suggested ACE inhibitors, especially Losartan, against covid. Cypro, aspirin, progesterone etc. Are nice alternatives

24. Thanks! I listened to that interview. The only new thing I heard in that is the Losartan. They have some at the mexican drugstore apparently, so that's good for everyone here if needed.

25. does anybody know what could be the reason if eggs, sugar and milk do not raise your cholesterol? i have been struggling with low cholesterol for sometime now

26. How old are you?

27. 22. i dont take any thyroid meds.

28. What level is it at? I’m not yet convinced you should try to forcibly increase cholesterol especially if you are young
    I’m 21 with cholesterol that has fluctuated from 108-170 and is now hovering at 140
    Have noticed a tremendous difference between these numbers

29. my last three blood tests have been between 90-130. i honestly believe low cholesterol is more of an issue rather high cholesterol

30. It definitely is on the low side
    Do you have any symptoms that correlate with low cholesterol?

31. i'm trying to raise my cholesterol too and i have heard of many many people in recent years struggling with low cholesterol as opposed to high cholesterol. i think vitamin D might help by reducing lactate formation and sparing sugar. the cholesterol-producing enzyme is sugar-dependent.

32. yes. i fatigue pretty easily for my age. i used to suffer from severe social anxiety that i would also attribute to having low cholesterol although that has been pretty much remedied with cypro. mood changes and hopelessness are some other things i suffer from too.

33. Ok mood issues definitely can be caused from low cholesterol
    When my cholesterol was highest I was doing a lower carb diet with lots of saturated fat in the morning and refeed of carbs in evening after working out
    However this also lowered my thyroid
    I would look at different pathways regarding the production of cholesterol and see if anything clicks
    I know my practitioner seems to think mine is related to the mold illness I have been dealing with but I don’t honestly understand the science behind why

34. I see that you think it's a good idea to advocate for Saladino but then more idiots will go on the Carnivore diet and get worse. I watched his rise in the Carnivore scene as his marketing ploy and I think it's odd that a Peat guy would give him any credence. Sorry but you give extraordinary insight in your articles so I don't get how he fits.

35. I actually approve of the carnivore diet. If someone eats muscle meat, organ meat, seafood, milk and honey they'll be eating a very nutrition diet low in toxins (given that they don't react negatively to the milk or seafood ofc.). I personally like a modified carnivore diet, where you include fruit as well.
    Paul does good and in-depth research about a lot of things and I do agree with him on things. His content is easy to understand and helpful. Should we discard his knowledge just because he's low carb?

36. Seems to me that when cholesterol is portrayed in here in a negative light - and it does happen, you mostly hear people here argue that dietary cholesterol does not the affect serum cholesterol, that it’s a big myth.

When cholesterol is praised, everybody’s going on about egg yolks.

You can’t really have it both ways, can you?

37. Btw, doesn’t this study merely say that the cholesterol levels in patients went sharply down over the course of infection?

Rather than the patients having had low cholesterol baseline levels to begin with...as in low cholesterol being indicative of a Covid19 predisposition, as the discussion here indicates.

It’s not exactly the same thing. But maybe i’m misunderstanding the results.

38. That’s how I understood it too.

39. As long as USPS/FedEx/UPS are open and there is no mandatory "house arrest" we will be shipping as usual. I'd say if the postal service stops working then we'd know for sure s**t has hit the fan and it is probably time to head for the woods.

40. Yes, but there are studies that have found direct protective effects of cholesterol against viruses. So, putting these findings together suggests the low cholesterol contributes to the infection and its course.
    Low Serum Cholesterol Level Among Patients With COVID-19 Infection

41. I’m basically ready to go off the grid now (yesterday would be even better)!

42. That’s awesome! Definitely a goal of mine is to one day be able to do such a thing

43. There are studies that link low cholesterol to air pollution. And according to the study in the original post the patients who have been to Wuhan (called primary infection cases in the study) had lower cholesterol levels than those who have never been there (called secondary infection cases). Wuhan is a very polluted area.

44. So living in a toxic polluted shythole and taking dietary advice from Dr. Grieger achieves strikingly similar blood test results....hmmm interesting

45. Maybe this event will be the final compelling reason for many Peatarians to adopt Peat's lifestyle - live in a wooded, mountainous area, where he spends his days farming, painting, and interacting with a small group of trusted individuals.

46. :pray

47. As an older woman with too much iron after Carnivore As well as the issues with methionine, trpt, etc I just don't see how it can work but for young men like you I expect it's fine. It's just such a priveledged food template that I refuse to endorse it just based on that.

48. Cholesterol Metabolism--Impact for SARS-CoV-2 Infection Prognosis, Entry, and Antiviral Therapies
    Congwen Wei, View ORCID ProfileLuming Wan, Yanhong Zhang, Chen Fan, Qiulin Yan, Xiaoli Yang, Jing Gong, Huan Yang, Huilong Li, Jun Zhang, Zhe Zhang, Rong Wang, Xiaolin Wang, Jin Sun, Yulong Zong, Feng Yin, Qi Gao, Yuan Cao, Hui Zhong
    doi: Cholesterol Metabolism--Impact for SARS-CoV-2 Infection Prognosis, Entry, and Antiviral Therapies
    This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical p
    Abstract
    Abstract The recently emerged pathogenic SARS-coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has spread rapidly, leading to a global pandemic. Identification of risk factors for morbidity and cellular coreceptors for SARS-CoV-2 entry is thus urgently needed. In this study, we performed a retrospective study involving 861 patients with COVID-19 from a single-center classified as mild, moderate, severe or critical and found that SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with clinically significant lower levels of cholesterol. The levels of both TC and HDL were inversely associated with the severity of SARS-CoV-2 infection. In addition, in patients with severe disease, a significant increase in the serum HDL level was correlated with good outcomes. We also showed that a clinically approved HDLR antagonist inhibited SARS-CoV-2 pseudovirus infection. Notably, SARS-2-S bound to cholesterol. Our results not only identify the HDL level as a prognostic marker for SARS-CoV-2 infection but also indicate a potential target for antiviral intervention.