Low serotonin=Always horny/Never happy

InChristAlone

Lowering serotonin enchances empathy and creativity. makes u brave and motivates you to try new things.
Dopamine and serotonin are different. Unfortunately lowering serotonin can also lower dopamine so you have to take more caffeine. High T increases monoamine oxidase which increases the oxidation of dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin. This is why high T men typically are the ones to do more risky behavior they are looking to increase their dopamine as they turn it over quick.

TeaChedda

Forum Supporter
Ever since I accidently blocked a psychadelic mushroom trip with one drop of cypro, I've developed a fairly nuanced view on serotonin. These were the best mushrooms I've ever had, and after the first time I used them, the trip was so strong and theraputic and rewarding, I was quite frankly almost scared to take them again, and left them in my sock drawer for 10 months. When I did take them again, I had a great experience again. A month later I decided to take them again but I had used just one drop, .5mg of cypro the night before, and nothing happened. When I used the last of them a month or so later, I had an amazing experience again.

My take away from this experience is that serotonin must have some positive attributes if its allowed me to experience these trips which I can best describe as a complete emotional purge, simultaneously difficult and euphoric, while you come face to face with who you are and what your life is.

Taking cypro doesn't make me depressed, in fact I'm often quite happy when I take it, but certain things, such as annoying people can trigger extreme irritation beyond what is normal.

Serotonin has it's role, and I think thats why Peat says that anti-serotonin drugs should be seen as a temporary solution. I do what I can to keep it as low as possible, and occasionally use idealabs products to lower it, a light touch is best, and I generally feel great.

InChristAlone

Ever since I accidently blocked a psychadelic mushroom trip with one drop of cypro, I've developed a fairly nuanced view on serotonin. These were the best mushrooms I've ever had, and after the first time I used them, the trip was so strong and theraputic and rewarding, I was quite frankly almost scared to take them again, and left them in my sock drawer for 10 months. When I did take them again, I had a great experience again. A month later I decided to take them again but I had used just one drop, .5mg of cypro the night before, and nothing happened. When I used the last of them a month or so later, I had an amazing experience again.

My take away from this experience is that serotonin must have some positive attributes if its allowed me to experience these trips which I can best describe as a complete emotional purge, simultaneously difficult and euphoric, while you come face to face with who you are and what your life is.

Taking cypro doesn't make me depressed, in fact I'm often quite happy when I take it, but certain things, such as annoying people can trigger extreme irritation beyond what is normal.

Serotonin has it's role, and I think thats why Peat says that anti-serotonin drugs should be seen as a temporary solution. I do what I can to keep it as low as possible, and occasionally use idealabs products to lower it, a light touch is best, and I generally feel great.
Thing is that's from a mushroom trip not necessarily serotonin. There is more to a trip than serotonin no? Serotonin syndrome doesn't produce euphoria. And antidepressants don't either in fact they make it so you can't feel much of anything. I know because I took Lexapro for over a yr in my youth. Made really bad decisions while I was on it.

TeaChedda

Forum Supporter
Thing is that's from a mushroom trip not necessarily serotonin. There is more to a trip than serotonin no? Serotonin syndrome doesn't produce euphoria. And antidepressants don't either in fact they make it so you can't feel much of anything. I know because I took Lexapro for over a yr in my youth. Made really bad decisions while I was on it.
Absolutely, a mushroom trip is definetly not just a surge of serotonin, but serotonin is critical component, and if you block it, literally nothing happens. I actually don't know the ins and outs of its function for the trip, I just know that cypro blocked it. I am by no means advocating for increasing ones serotonin, but rather to have nuanced view on it, recognizing that it has a place.

Nebula

Absolutely, a mushroom trip is definetly not just a surge of serotonin, but serotonin is critical component, and if you block it, literally nothing happens. I actually don't know the ins and outs of its function for the trip, I just know that cypro blocked it. I am by no means advocating for increasing ones serotonin, but rather to have nuanced view on it, recognizing that it has a place.
Do we really understand what happens to serotonin during a trip? Is it possible psilocybin blocks endogenous serotonin from binding to serotonin receptors so it effectively drops serotonin very low? Maybe cyproheptadine presence blocks that from happening.

Last edited:

cupofcoffee

Do we really understand what happens to serotonin during a trip? Is it possible psilocybin blocks endogenous serotonin from binding to serotonin receptors so it effectively drops serotonin very low? Maybe cyproheptadine presence blocks that from happening.
Psychedelics' hallucinogenic effects are very well known to be induced by 5HT2A agonism, and that 5HT2A antagonists (like cypro) block the hallucinations

Brandin

I've come to the realization that being "Happy" and being "Horny" work in an antagonistic relationship in humans and animals.
When I do things to lower my serotonin, I truly feel like I'm becoming less happy in a way, I can't be the only one who feels this.

On a ray peat type diet, for example, I barley smile or act happy, but I'm always horny and pretty motivated for the day.
On a starch based diet, I smile a lot and act happy, but my sexual interest vanishes and I lose my motivation.

So there must be some kind of truth to serotonin being the "Happy hormone", but it seems that in humans, being happy sucks the motivation and sexual interest out of us. So paradoxically, being more straight faced/unsatisfied promotes sexual interest and motivation because of the lack of satiety.

Then also, being happy seems to work in an antagonistic relationship with caring, the "happier" I get the less I care about life, and the more "anxious/curious" I get, the more I care about life.

You know the google images of ray peat, that facial expression is me on this diet (Most of the time)
View attachment 35610
Serotonin does not make you always horny. You will only be horny for people you deem as above you in society or unmanipulatable paired with (looks above yours most of the time unless the first point is very prevelant).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals