Low protein accelerates wound healing?

lvysaur

I have a corn on my foot

When I eat meat meals, the corn gets bigger and painful.
When I eat carb/lentil/milk based meals, the corn gets flatter and dries out, and looks as if it's healing.

I have a corn on my foot

When I eat carb/lentil/milk based meals, the corn gets flatter and dries out, and looks as if it's healing.

That sounds like an inflammatory response from conventional, non grass fed, meat and not protein in itself. Have you experienced the same thing eating eggs, milk or seafood?

P

Peatness

This seems counterintuitive but I think you might be onto something. I think in young people protein is better utilised, as we age the wrong sort of protein becomes ‘toxic’. I wonder if this could be a result of decreased enzymes and low stomach acid.

Kvothe

I have a corn on my foot

Everything works better and faster when protein intake is on the lower side.

This seems counterintuitive but I think you might be onto something. I think in young people protein is better utilised, as we age the wrong sort of protein becomes ‘toxic’. I wonder if this could be a result of decreased enzymes and low stomach acid.

"Since excess tryptophan is known to produce muscle pain, myositis, even muscular dystrophy, gelatin is an appropriate food for helping to correct those problems, simply because of its lack of tryptophan. (Again, the popular nutritional idea of amino acids as simply building blocks for tissues is exactly wrong--muscle protein can exacerbate muscle disease.) All of the conditions involving excess prolactin, serotonin, and cortisol (autism, postpartum and premenstrual problems, Cushing's disease, "diabetes," impotence, etc.) should benefit from reduced consumption of tryptophan. But the specifically antiinflammatory amino acids in gelatin also antagonize the excitatory effects of the tryptophan-serotonin-estrogen- prolactin system." -Ray Peat

ursidae

metabolic acidosis raising cortisol and impairing wound healing. i think milk was the only animal protein that has a neutral PRAL score

the great thread by amazoniac

redsun

I have a corn on my foot

Corn/Calluses are not even injuries, they develop in response to the body to protect itself from whatever forces are on it (like friction).

I don't really understand this. Even if there is more swelling/redness, that is quite literally part of the healing process. More blood flow and vasodilation in an actual injury (which calluses aren't) means more blood and nutrients to the area to heal whatever is wrong. Pain is not bad on its own its merely a signal to stop you from using or touching an injured body part.

If you want it to go away you need to figure out what is triggering its formation.

Corn/Calluses are not even injuries, they develop in response to the body to protect itself from whatever forces are on it (like friction).

I don't really understand this. Even if there is more swelling/redness, that is quite literally part of the healing process. More blood flow and vasodilation in an actual injury (which calluses aren't) means more blood and nutrients to the area to heal whatever is wrong. Pain is not bad on its own its merely a signal to stop you from using or touching an injured body part.

If you want it to go away you need to figure out what is triggering its formation.
+1

Kvothe

With how many calories and fat?

As many as you desire. I think the ratio between fat and carbohydrates is not that import, as long as it's not too much fat, and the fat is fairly saturated. Calorie intake will increase automatically when relatively little protein is eaten. Total protein intake should be sufficient with a high calorie intake, and increased metabolic rate.

P

Peatness

"Since excess tryptophan is known to produce muscle pain, myositis, even muscular dystrophy, gelatin is an appropriate food for helping to correct those problems, simply because of its lack of tryptophan. (Again, the popular nutritional idea of amino acids as simply building blocks for tissues is exactly wrong--muscle protein can exacerbate muscle disease.) All of the conditions involving excess prolactin, serotonin, and cortisol (autism, postpartum and premenstrual problems, Cushing's disease, "diabetes," impotence, etc.) should benefit from reduced consumption of tryptophan. But the specifically antiinflammatory amino acids in gelatin also antagonize the excitatory effects of the tryptophan-serotonin-estrogen- prolactin system." -Ray Peat
Thanks. There is a quote for everything

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

Have you experienced the same thing eating eggs, milk or seafood?
fish, yes. milk, no (I attribute this to the low protein content, and the type of protein, as A2 casein is not inflammatory). Haven't eaten eggs in months.

I wonder if this could be a result of decreased enzymes and low stomach acid.
I strongly doubt that it has anything to do with stomach acid, personally. I'm type O blood and have a very ravenous appetite for meat at times. Despite this, I actually try to LIMIT my meat intake, for the above reasons.
In other words, I crave meat, have a high stomach acid blood type, eat less meat despite this, but still have the issue.

My average meat intake in one of these meals would be 1/8 lb.

I also have no issues with heartburn (which is more often caused by LOW stomach acid, from what I understand)

Even if there is more swelling/redness, that is quite literally part of the healing process. More blood flow and vasodilation in an actual injury (which calluses aren't) means more blood and nutrients to the area to heal whatever is wrong.
Eh, I'm not sure. I think of it as akin to a scab. When a cut heals, the scab gets drier and flatter. The healing usually coincides with itching, not pain.
My corn gets drier and flatter on a milk diet with no meat. But perhaps it's about a lack of gelatin (which I haven't been eating lately)

Everything works better and faster when protein intake is on the lower side.
Yeah, I think so. However I virtually need a higher flesh meal in order to fall asleep. When I eat the no-meat diet, it's very hard to fall asleep, and my span of sleep is only 6 hours.

Last edited: