Low keto for several years and feeling great

Elie

Forum Supporter
Spoke to a T1 diabetic who has been on keto (less than 30 g carbs) for years, feels energetic and sleeps well. T1 not resolved but insulin use is relatively low.
How much merit does the overall sentiment of the forum against low carb if some people seem to thrive on it for years.
I'd love to hear about ex and current low carbers' experiences and how long these experiences (both sides) lasted.

Gânico

Spoke to a T1 diabetic who has been on keto (less than 30 g carbs) for years, feels energetic and sleeps well. T1 not resolved but insulin use is relatively low.
How much merit does the overall sentiment of the forum against low carb if some people seem to thrive on it for years.
I'd love to hear about ex and current low carbers' experiences and how long these experiences (both sides) lasted.
I don't think it's optimal, but some people can adapt well if food choices are good, think about inuits, for example

Jon2547

I'm basically low carb. I fluctuate from ultra low carb to having some, the frequency varies greatly. Intermittent fasting and cutting out bread and starches have helped me tremendously.
Sometimes I'll go several days to perhaps a week and a half consuming less than 20 g of carbs, then I'll come off of that and eat some ice cream or have a bunch of apples, etc. I have tried honey several times but it does not make me fell all that great.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
I'm basically low carb. I fluctuate from ultra low carb to having some, the frequency varies greatly. Intermittent fasting and cutting out bread and starches have helped me tremendously.
Sometimes I'll go several days to perhaps a week and a half consuming less than 20 g of carbs, then I'll come off of that and eat some ice cream or have a bunch of apples, etc. I have tried honey several times but it does not make me fell all that great.
What makes you come back from low carb?
Any ill effects of low carb (sleep, energy, libido, etc.)?
How long do you think you can sustain it with no ill effects?

Jon2547

Never had any sleep issues. In fact, my sleep is a little bit better while doing low carb.

I come back from low carb when I feel the need to change gears. By rocking back and forth, I've notched up my metabolism so that having some carbs, sometimes huge amounts, does not lead to weight that is hard to lose.

I've haven't noticed ill effects. I don't always have explosive energy while low carb, but I have energy. For me, while I am doing carbs for very long, day in and day out, I get sluggish.

Three or four months of low carb is long enough for me. I enjoy eating all types of fruit and ice cream and an occasional ginger ale. But I also enjoy the clarity and the autophagy from the low carb / IF way as well.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Never had any sleep issues. In fact, my sleep is a little bit better while doing low carb.

I come back from low carb when I feel the need to change gears. By rocking back and forth, I've notched up my metabolism so that having some carbs, sometimes huge amounts, does not lead to weight that is hard to lose.

I've haven't noticed ill effects. I don't always have explosive energy while low carb, but I have energy. For me, while I am doing carbs for very long, day in and day out, I get sluggish.

Three or four months of low carb is long enough for me. I enjoy eating all types of fruit and ice cream and an occasional ginger ale. But I also enjoy the clarity and the autophagy from the low carb / IF way as well.
Interesting. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
I wonder if age has anything to do with metabolic adaptability.
I am nearing 50, I am intrigued to find out about the mental clarity that keto followers speak about, but am scared of the discomfort involved with the transition to Keto.
I am also a practitioner and consult clients, but never ever dare to promote low carb as I fear the consequences I learnt from Ray and members of the forum.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Adrenaline and Cortisol makes me energetic often too
Please elaborate....
I can see a temporary adaptive response to low carb mediated by adrenaline and cortisol, but chronically high cortisol (which can kick in very quickly) induces fatigue and different ill effects, not energy, which is what some experience on low carb.

Jon2547

I am 51.

Its really about how one goes about doing a low carb diet. For example, If I were to eat lots of eggs and chicken breasts, I would be so stressed out that I would get ill. The protein ratios in eggs and chicken cause stress in the body.

I stick with mainly beef and cheese and butter. I also take the amino acid glycine which is anti-stress .

Michael Mohn

I don't think it's optimal, but some people can adapt well if food choices are good, think about inuits, for example
Innuits only live on the ice during winter. In summer they are normal Canadian/Scandinavian natives who ate berries, honey/sap, starchy roots and seeds. Innuits/Eskimos never did a low carb diet all year long. This is a Ketoland fairytale.