Low Iron Levels

Endew57

Hey peaters, The lurking i've been doing had to stop. For about 9 months i have been lurking and switching my diet around. Within those 9 months i've got bloodwork twice. From matching and comparing the only thing abnormal is my iron levels. Everything else is great. Although i read somewhere here that low iron is a sign of something else. Any Advice on improving iron levels?

Last edited:

sele

Hey peaters, The lurking i've been doing had to stop. For about 9 months i have been lurking and switching my diet around. Within those 9 months i've got bloodwork twice. From matching and comparing the only thing abnormal is my iron levels. Everything else is great. Although i read somewhere here that low iron is a sign of something else. Any Advice on improving iron levels?
What kind of tests did you run?

Regina

I'll throw my recent iron levels into the discussion. Additionally, I have very high norepinephrine levels.

I'm not sure what the pattern indicates. I am increasing my dietary iron intake and will retest in mid-July.
I have read that h. pylori can flourish in high NE and causes low ferritin. I don't feel like it is that: good stools, no GERD, no burping or reflux.
But I do suspect endotoxin is involved.

Is there anything else I might look into?
Thank you.

Attachments

• test_results_final.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 100

tankasnowgod

I'll throw my recent iron levels into the discussion. Additionally, I have very high norepinephrine levels.

I'm not sure what the pattern indicates. I am increasing my dietary iron intake and will retest in mid-July.
I have read that h. pylori can flourish in high NE and causes low ferritin. I don't feel like it is that: good stools, no GERD, no burping or reflux.
But I do suspect endotoxin is involved.

Is there anything else I might look into?
Thank you.

Ferritin and TSAT are really low. I don't know what Transferrin means, I thought that would have been the same as TIBC. Do you have any anemia symptoms? Like weakness or lethargy? It might be worthwhile to have hemoglobin checked.

If you eat a lot of dairy and eggs, they both are low iron and have iron blocking and chelating elements in them (both contain lactoferrin). If you're taking extra calcium or aspirin, those are both things that can lower iron, too. As can antibiotics.

Blood loss is one of the biggest ways we can lose iron, so any blood tests or donations could be factor. Intestinal parasites (like hookworm) feed on host blood, but those are really rare in developed countries at this point.

Some iron is also lost through sweat, so if you are fairly active, or are in a really hot climate, or have been doing some sauna sessions, that could lower iron, too.

I had below range ferritin with hemoglobin that was mid range of normal, and felt fine, better, actually, than when I was super iron loaded. I don't know how big a deal really low iron is if you have no anemia symptoms and hemoglobin is in range, although I would certainly use that excuse to eat more steak and lamb! Irondisorders.org might be worth checking out.

Regina

Ferritin and TSAT are really low. I don't know what Transferrin means, I thought that would have been the same as TIBC. Do you have any anemia symptoms? Like weakness or lethargy? It might be worthwhile to have hemoglobin checked.

If you eat a lot of dairy and eggs, they both are low iron and have iron blocking and chelating elements in them (both contain lactoferrin). If you're taking extra calcium or aspirin, those are both things that can lower iron, too. As can antibiotics.

Blood loss is one of the biggest ways we can lose iron, so any blood tests or donations could be factor. Intestinal parasites (like hookworm) feed on host blood, but those are really rare in developed countries at this point.

Some iron is also lost through sweat, so if you are fairly active, or are in a really hot climate, or have been doing some sauna sessions, that could lower iron, too.

I had below range ferritin with hemoglobin that was mid range of normal, and felt fine, better, actually, than when I was super iron loaded. I don't know how big a deal really low iron is if you have no anemia symptoms and hemoglobin is in range, although I would certainly use that excuse to eat more steak and lamb! Irondisorders.org might be worth checking out.
Thanks very much tankasnowgod.
I think I came to Peating with the wrong assumption that I was probably iron overloaded. I had not taken into account that I had not eaten grains in 5 years. So since the bloodwork, I'm enjoying steak and made lamb shanks the other night! I feel pretty good. I have not had a cold or flu or sniffles in probably 5 yrs. Walking around health feels fine but lazy.
It's just that recently, it all goes "***s up" on the aikido mat. Like the gas and break are pressed fully at the same time. By the 45 minute mark, I have bowel distress. (we wear pants AND a thick long skirt--but feel paranoid that I could (tmi) crap my pants. It hasn't happened but there is that paranoia that it could happen plus the crazy NE flowing).
So, it's odd. Or parodoxical. Skin, hair, muscle recovery, joints, clear eyes - all look and feel youthful. People (in aikido) throw me around like they would the young lions; I don't stay to the side with the gray beards. But as soon as the NE flows (which is too easily), partners are perplexed. Like, do I need an ambulance. I recover a minute later and then it just seems like I cry wolf.

When I retest, I'll ask for hemoglobin as well. And try to learn if there is any intestinal parasites. I hope it is. At least then, I might be able to fix it.
Cheers.

Matt1951

You can only increase iron levels gradually, as your body will only absorb slightly more than what it needs. There are many articles on the problems of low iron, do a web search, such as:
Why Hypothyroidism is Worse with Iron Deficiency
http://www.theprovince.com/Frequent+blood+donors+often+risk+study+shows/11081856/story.html
The Ferritin Test - Is Iron Your Problem?
An Often Overlooked Cause of Fatigue: Low Ferritin- Hormones Matter
https://healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...y-and-inflammation-affect-t4-to-t3-conversion
The serum ferritin test only costs $21-$29. Long distance runners supplement iron, but there are problems with iron supplements. Eating red meat is a good way to increase iron stores. Regina, your ferritin level at 3.5 is so low, you should work with a doctor to increase it. Endew57, we need to know the number. Most coaches want women athletes to have a ferritin level of at least 50. They know the women long distance runners in high school lose performance when the ferritin level is lower. Many people want a ferritin level of at least 80 or they don't feel well.
Peat is correct, high iron levels are implicated in degenerative diseases. Low levels can be very damaging though. Increasing low iron levels can take a long time.

Regina

You can only increase iron levels gradually, as your body will only absorb slightly more than what it needs. There are many articles on the problems of low iron, do a web search, such as:
http://www.theprovince.com/Frequent+blood+donors+often+risk+study+shows/11081856/story.html
HealthUnlocked | The social network for health
The serum ferritin test only costs $21-$29. Long distance runners supplement iron, but there are problems with iron supplements. Eating red meat is a good way to increase iron stores. Regina, your ferritin level at 3.5 is so low, you should work with a doctor to increase it. Endew57, we need to know the number. Most coaches want women athletes to have a ferritin level of at least 50. They know the women long distance runners in high school lose performance when the ferritin level is lower. Many people want a ferritin level of at least 80 or they don't feel well.
Peat is correct, high iron levels are implicated in degenerative diseases. Low levels can be very damaging though. Increasing low iron levels can take a long time.
Thanks so much for all the links Matt. I'll dig into them tonight! Thx!!

Regina

Frequent blood donors too often at risk, study shows
HealthUnlocked | The social network for health
One more question Matt1951 - do you have an opinion on taking something like "Spleen" pills:
http://www.drrons.com/p/221-Spleen-500mg-180-Capsules.aspx

He sells freeze-dried liver, thyroid and other organs from free range cows. He describes spleen as a blood builder and rich in iron.

tankasnowgod

Most coaches want women athletes to have a ferritin level of at least 50. They know the women long distance runners in high school lose performance when the ferritin level is lower. Many people want a ferritin level of at least 80 or they don't feel well.

Anthony Colpo mentioned that when being very active, he didn't feel right if his ferritin was under 40. Though he saw great improvements in his physical ability while lowering it.

While it's not been confirmed yet, it might be a ferritin level of about 80 or higher that starts to increase risk of degenerative diseases. Pre-menopausal women usually have ferritin near 25 or so, and post menopausal women see the number go up to about 89. It's after women hit menopause when their heart disease risk matches that of men. I think this is the basis of the recommended ferritin range of 25-75.

Regina

Anthony Colpo mentioned that when being very active, he didn't feel right if his ferritin was under 40. Though he saw great improvements in his physical ability while lowering it.

While it's not been confirmed yet, it might be a ferritin level of about 80 or higher that starts to increase risk of degenerative diseases. Pre-menopausal women usually have ferritin near 25 or so, and post menopausal women see the number go up to about 89. It's after women hit menopause when their heart disease risk matches that of men. I think this is the basis of the recommended ferritin range of 25-75.
I read through all the great links above. I have a far way to go to get up into decent levels. I bought the liquid supp recommended in the first link.
Thx for your insights.

Matt1951

Normal range for ferritin is considered to be 30-200, at least on my latest lab work. On Regina's it is shown as 11-307. 30 is too low, 200 too high. Dan Wich said 40-50 is a good lower bound:
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/too-much-iron-how-to-know.2485/
I was a very active blood donor for 25 years. Donated 5 times last year, 2 times earlier this year. Finally checked my ferritin, it was 17, now up to 28 two months later. I won't donate again until I hit 80.

Matt1951

I read through all the great links above. I have a far way to go to get up into decent levels. I bought the liquid supp recommended in the first link.
Thx for your insights.
Regina, good luck in raising your ferritin. As you read articles on line, you will see many women struggle to raise their iron stores, some are never successful. You have a good idea to have your hemoglobin checked. Even then, ferritin may be low, with symptoms of anemia, even if hemoglobin is normal. I have no idea if '"spleen" pills are good or not. Iron supplements often cause constipation. Others here at raypeatforum may have ideas on what the best supplements are.

tankasnowgod

Normal range for ferritin is considered to be 30-200, at least on my latest lab work. On Regina's it is shown as 11-307. 30 is too low, 200 too high. Dan Wich said 40-50 is a good lower bound:
too much iron? how to know?
I was a very active blood donor for 25 years. Donated 5 times last year, 2 times earlier this year. Finally checked my ferritin, it was 17, now up to 28 two months later. I won't donate again until I hit 80.

Oh, I know that the lab range can go up to 400. But those ranges aren't based on the best science, more a survey of what's "normal" in the population. There are some studies showing that heart attack risk and glucose tolerance start getting worse when ferritin goes above 80. From what I've seen, any ferritin number in the triple digits is too high, regardless of accepted range E.D. Weinberg and others that have experience with hemochromatosis recommend a target maintenance range of 25-75.

I don't disagree than some negatives might start showing up on the lower end of the range, and I have seen testimonials that the low end of the range may be too low for active individuals.

Regina

Regina, good luck in raising your ferritin. As you read articles on line, you will see many women struggle to raise their iron stores, some are never successful. You have a good idea to have your hemoglobin checked. Even then, ferritin may be low, with symptoms of anemia, even if hemoglobin is normal. I have no idea if '"spleen" pills are good or not. Iron supplements often cause constipation. Others here at raypeatforum may have ideas on what the best supplements are.
:thumbsup:Thx!

Regina

While eating a big bloody rare hamburger tonight, I was thinking (self, I says) would it be wise to take BCAA's during this cavegirl meat-eating effort to increase ferritin? Is it possible to inhibit absorption of tryptophan, methionine, cysteine whilst absorbing the iron?

Mito

Oh, I know that the lab range can go up to 400. But those ranges aren't based on the best science, more a survey of what's "normal" in the population. There are some studies showing that heart attack risk and glucose tolerance start getting worse when ferritin goes above 80. From what I've seen, any ferritin number in the triple digits is too high, regardless of accepted range E.D. Weinberg and others that have experience with hemochromatosis recommend a target maintenance range of 25-75.
Chris Masterjohn is at high risk for hemochromatosis (his story here https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/01/27/need-manage-iron-status/) and he recommends targeting ferritin between 60 and 140 nanograms per milliliter. He prefers to monitor transferrin saturation since its a more sensitive iron marker and ferritin can vary due to other factors like infections and inflammation.

tankasnowgod

Chris Masterjohn is at high risk for hemochromatosis (his story here https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/01/27/need-manage-iron-status/) and he recommends targeting ferritin between 60 and 140 nanograms per milliliter. He prefers to monitor transferrin saturation since its a more sensitive iron marker and ferritin can vary due to other factors like infections and inflammation.

While ferritin can vary due to those factors, I don't understand why he would suggest TSAT is superior. It's a calculation that depends on Serum Iron and TIBC. Serum Iron can be affected by eating, so I don't see how it can be considered more accurate.

Matt1951

While eating a big bloody rare hamburger tonight, I was thinking (self, I says) would it be wise to take BCAA's during this cavegirl meat-eating effort to increase ferritin? Is it possible to inhibit absorption of tryptophan, methionine, cysteine whilst absorbing the iron?
Ray Peat recommends eating gelatin with meat, to improve the amino acid balance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals