Low iron in nails but high in blood tests

davvid_1

So i got the mineralLabs nail assessment and it came in with low iron. However my blood results had middle of range serum iron and ferritin, with upper range transferrin saturation. I take this as iron is not reaching the cell/nail?

Is there something one can do to improve iron transport to the cell?

OP
D

davvid_1

From Peat: Vertical nail ridges can indicate a metabolic defect that affects iron absorption, but anyway hair and nail analysis shouldn’t be used instead of blood.

emarie

From Peat: Vertical nail ridges can indicate a metabolic defect that affects iron absorption, but anyway hair and nail analysis shouldn’t be used instead of blood.
Hi, Do you know where Peat talks about this? I have lots of symptoms indicating low iron absorption and would like to know any incites he may have.

InChristAlone

Inability to use or get rid of minerals is a sign of slow oxidization and burnout of essential vitamins and minerals

OP
D

davvid_1

Hi, Do you know where Peat talks about this? I have lots of symptoms indicating low iron absorption and would like to know any incites he may have.
i asked him the above question and that was his response, he didn't elaborate further unfortunately. curious what other symptoms you have of poor iron absorption?

youngsinatra

I think that HTMA and nail mineral analysis is a poor way to access the status of iron, zinc and copper.

Zinc, copper, iron should be measured through blood tests exclusively. Plasma zinc, serum copper, ceruloplasmin, serum iron, ferritin, iron-saturation, transferrin.

haidut

Forum Supporter
So i got the mineralLabs nail assessment and it came in with low iron. However my blood results had middle of range serum iron and ferritin, with upper range transferrin saturation. I take this as iron is not reaching the cell/nail?

Is there something one can do to improve iron transport to the cell?

When ferritin and serum are mid-range and transferin is close to upper limit, the post titles should probably not say that blood tests show iron is "high". High transferin is one of the more reliable markers of low cellular iron, so the low value in nails seems to corroborate that. Do you mind posting the values and ranges for your iron blood tests?
@youngsinatra

Last edited:

sunny

When ferritin and serum are mid-range and transferin is close to upper limit, the post titles should probably not say that blood tests show iron is "high". High transferin is one of the more reliable markers of low cellular iron, so the low value in nails seems to corroborate that. Do you mind posting the values and ranges for your iron blood tests?
@youngsinatra
Where is the optimal range for transferring, in your opinion.

emarie

i asked him the above question and that was his response, he didn't elaborate further unfortunately. curious what other symptoms you have of poor iron absorption?
Low energy, white nail beds, brittle dry hair, sore tongue, spooning toenails, dry skin, cold hands and feet, basal temp about 96.5 in mornings are my symptoms. I also have systemic pain in my tendons which wake me most nights but I do not know if that is related to iron dysfunction.

SamYo123

InChristAlone

So fast oxiders should be low carbers based on that.

Peat works because most people are slow oxidisers?

"A lower energy state. About 80 to 85% of adults are in a slow oxidation state of body chemistry"

so does that mean once achieved through sugar/carbs, that you can then go low carb as a fast oxidiser?
Fast oxidation won't be achieved through sugar. It is achieved through proper mineral balance and a development program that focuses on yang/warming foods, detoxification, and other minerals.

OP
D

davvid_1

When ferritin and serum are mid-range and transfferin is close to upper limit, the post titles should probably not say that blood tests show iron is "high". High transferin is one of the more reliable markers of low cellular iron, so the low value in nails seems to corroborate that. Do you mind posting the values and ranges for your iron blood tests?
@youngsinatra
fair enough good point. thanks, I didn't know low transferrin supported low cellular iron. do you know ways of improving transport to the cell?

Iron blood test:

S-LD: 155IU/L
S-iron: 28 umol. 12.5 - 32
S- transferrin: 2.1 g/L. 2.0 - 3.6
Transferrin saturation: 51%. 20−55 %
Ferritin 131.9 ug/L

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals