Low-fat Potato Based Dishes?

ReSTART

Most recipes online are very high in fat compared to the potato content, what are some ways you can cook potato without large amounts of fat?

denise

I make these but but use only 1-2 T fat total (a combo of butter and coconut oil) for the whole batch (I also skip the onions). I suspect I could get away with zero fat, actually. They take some time, but it makes a lot, and they're really good.

If you want ultra simple, just boil some potatoes. Or bake them. You can also make mashed potatoes with no butter--they're still quite good with just milk.

Boiling or steaming is the best way to cook them. You get better with it the more you do it. You will start to notice when potatoes at the store are "ripe" and fresh, and good ones vs. crappy ones. Always having a big bowl of boiled or steamed potatoes in the fridge makes it easier. Homemade, oil free condiments are the best. Usually a tomato base, tomato paste is good too. Maple syrup, mustard and ACV is a good baked potato wedge dip. Salsa. Non-estrogenic herbs. Garlic.

Last edited:

Dopamine

Well first I buy potatoes with few blemishes and thin edible skins so I don't have to spend lots of time peeling.

I boil them until soft all the way through then fry them in a non stick pan with green onion, minced garlic, sliced tomato. Throw some parsley and maybe ketchup or salsa on top and you are good to go. Nice brown fried potatoes taste better than boiled in my opinion so it is worth the extra bit of effort.

Just use enough coconut oil to prevent sticking which can mean none depending on the pan.

EIRE24

Boiling or steaming is the best way to cook them. You get better with it the more you do it. You will start to notice when potatoes at the store are "ripe" and fresh, and good ones vs. crappy ones. Always having a big bowl of boiled or steamed potatoes in the fridge makes it easier. Homemade, oil free condiments are the best. Usually a tomato base, tomato paste is good too. Maple syrup, mustard and ACV is a good baked potato wedge dip. Salsa. Non-estrogenic herbs. Garlic.
You don't worry about resistant starch and eating them fresh vs cold?

tara

If you are aiming for lowish fat rather than no fat:
Chopped boiled potatoes can be included in an omelette with whatever other additions you like (eg veges, mushrooms, cheese, a little bacon).
Use lowish fat milk and cheese to make potato gratin.
Bake a large pile of potato chips in a small amount of coconut oil -eg 1 kilo of chipped potatoes in ~30g coconut oil (turn them part way through cooking)
As above, mashed potatoes made with whatever milk you want to use.
Include diced potatoes in soups - eg with veges and stock.
Include diced potatoes in stews with lean meat.
Boiled potatoes with scrambled or poached eggs on top, with whatever else.
Seafood chowder made with whatever milk you like instead of cream.

Luann

pretty much what they are all saying, and don't forget the ketchup!

< Rain

I boil potatoes and then store in the fridge. You do not want to over-heat them as it forms acrylamide.
Usually add the already cooked potatoes to onions/ground meat / cooked veggies / mushrooms that have cooked.
As noted above, the soup is very healthy also.
Acrylamide was discovered in foods in April 2002 by Eritrean scientist Eden Tareke in Sweden when she found the chemical in starchy foods, such as potato chips (potato crisps), French fries (chips), and bread that had been heated higher than 120 °C (248 °F) (production of acrylamide in the heating process was shown to be temperature-dependent). It was not found in food that had been boiled or in foods that were not heated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide

Koveras

I boil potatoes and then store in the fridge. You do not want to over-heat them as it forms acrylamide.
Usually add the already cooked potatoes to onions/ground meat / cooked veggies / mushrooms that have cooked.
As noted above, the soup is very healthy also.
Acrylamide was discovered in foods in April 2002 by Eritrean scientist Eden Tareke in Sweden when she found the chemical in starchy foods, such as potato chips (potato crisps), French fries (chips), and bread that had been heated higher than 120 °C (248 °F) (production of acrylamide in the heating process was shown to be temperature-dependent). It was not found in food that had been boiled or in foods that were not heated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide

"Another well publicized problem supposedly involving the reaction between sugars and proteins has to do with the discovery of the carcinogen, acrylamide, in breads and french fries. The Whole Foods Market was sued in California for selling whole wheat bread without a warning that it contained a carcinogen.

But the changes in proteins that occur in diabetes are mainly produced by the breakdown products of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Acrylamide is produced largely by the reaction of PUFA with proteins."

Suitable Fats, Unsuitable Fats: Issues in Nutrition

nikolabeacon

Every classic preparation without fair amount of fat makes them dry and not so apetizing( and probably not so good for digestion). If you want to eat tasty and low fat here Is the recipe. Peel them first, wash and slice in 3-5 mm thickness and add fair amount of salt and mix.. arrange the slices tightly in horizontal manner in slightly greased deeper tray and put them in the preheated oven to 180 C and bake for about an half an hour to dry them first. After that pour in enough MILK to just covers them and bake until it evaporates and becomes golden brown. Plain white fresh Cheese goes with it. Just make sure to put enough salt to enjoy true taste. There Is A similar recipe But with ground meat( lamb or beef) where you put pre-cooked ground meat and onions between the layers of sliced potatoes, bake in same manner and pour mix of eggs and milk over it and bake until golden brown. Both are old traditional recipes.

beachbum

"Another well publicized problem supposedly involving the reaction between sugars and proteins has to do with the discovery of the carcinogen, acrylamide, in breads and french fries. The Whole Foods Market was sued in California for selling whole wheat bread without a warning that it contained a carcinogen.

But the changes in proteins that occur in diabetes are mainly produced by the breakdown products of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Acrylamide is produced largely by the reaction of PUFA with proteins."

Suitable Fats, Unsuitable Fats: Issues in Nutrition
I just read its in coffee, but the health benefits out weight Acrylamide, and dark roasted is best choice.

Last edited:
Yes potato soup with spicy shrimp is good recipe. You can also make garlic mashed potatoes with chives and Greek yogurt without all that fat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals