Low-fat diets and testosterone in men: Systematic review and meta-analysis of intervention studies

Nebula

In my opinion milk is shifted towards protein for growth, so unless you are destroying your tissues by working out a ton or have a very physical job I'd be wary of the excess protein.
My experience is the amount of protein your body can assimilate has more to do with its buffering capacity. Lower metabolism has a lowered capacity to retain and produce bicarbonates to buffer the acidity produced from animal protein consumption. I can somewhat negate the effects of higher protein consumption with fresh squeezed lemon juice combined with baking soda, but it’s much easier currently for me if overall protein is kept low. Hopefully as my thyroid function improves so will my buffering capacity.

B

BRBsavinWorld

In my opinion milk is shifted towards protein for growth, so unless you are destroying your tissues by working out a ton or have a very physical job I'd be wary of the excess protein.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Vins7

I just started a low protein diet and I feel like a million bucks. I have a theory that excess protein and protein imbalance is at the core of ageing and especially by ditching gluten and casein my health took a dramatic turn, especially my depression and cognition. I developed this new paradigm after going through Travis' corner. My depression was linked to my impaired cognition because I was aware that my abilities where nowhere near my peak, as if my well was being poisoned. My fat intake comes mostly from cream/butter and some olive oil sparingly. Sources of carbs are rice, oats, fresh fruit, sucrose, and honey. I'm at the early stages of testing a fruit fasting protocol where for two days in a row every week I will only eat fruit to increase autophagy without inducing stress.
How long did it take you to fix your depression symptoms when you remove gluten and casein of your diet?

So, do you feel you better without meat and proteins in general?

Sitaruîm

How long did it take you to fix your depression symptoms when you remove gluten and casein of your diet?

So, do you feel you better without meat and proteins in general?
The depression symptoms went away pretty quickly, after three days the change was stark. I still eat meat, but before this change I was eating dairy proteins and gluten daily, and meat almost daily. Now I concentrate my meat intake in 2 to 3 days and 4 to 5 days a week are very low or even no protein.

Vins7

The depression symptoms went away pretty quickly, after three days the change was stark. I still eat meat, but before this change I was eating dairy proteins and gluten daily, and meat almost daily. Now I concentrate my meat intake in 2 to 3 days and 4 to 5 days a week are very low or even no protein.
Interesting. So, your main sources of calories are rice, fruits, honey, refined sugar, butter and cream?

Jerkboy

I like low fat diets. I feel best on them. You do have to eat more frequently. But I dont mind that. I hate it more when I eat a shitload of fat and my metabolism slows down to low and I have no hunger, no energy, etc. Especially saturated fats do this to me. PUFA is used quite quickly.

Razvan

Two weeks now. It should be noted that on the weekends I have a a big meal of red meat 500-750g. Overall I consume less protein but I think that what's also making a difference is that 4 days per week my protein intake is almost 0. I'm hoping that autophagy will be upregulated this way. My protein intake is lower but I don't think it's low enough to cause problems, my sources are mostly meat and some eggs which are ideal.
Yes If you don't have liver problems which makes you require more protein,periods of low protein are very beneficial,Travis was kinda right. I also remember a quote from peat that said that eating high protein bronda barnes needed a double dose of thyroid.

OP
Kvothe

Kvothe

Yes If you don't have liver problems which makes you require more protein,periods of low protein are very beneficial,Travis was kinda right. I also remember a quote from peat that said that eating high protein bronda barnes needed a double dose of thyroid.

Why would you require more protein when you have liver problems? High protein diets are not solving liver problems, they are contributing to them.

Nomane Euger

Hi,ray peat mentionned muscle meat specifically when he quoted broda Barnes

Razvan

Why would you require more protein when you have liver problems? High protein diets are not solving liver problems, they are contributing to them.

Fair enough, i was just reporting Peat ideas.
What is your protein intake daily? And from what sources?

Nomane Euger

Oh,thanks.
How much protein do you eat daily?i have found my self that the best I feel by far is when I eat fruits/coconut water/honey through the day and iam active,and in the early evening some liver or kidneys when I feel cold despit being well fed with the other foods I mentionned,muscle meat even liver to some extend lower to some degree motivation/appreciation/joy/strength/chest expension...all the positive.only grass fed grass finished lamb kidneys is a net positive with out bad effects

Razvan

How much protein do you eat daily?i have found my self that the best I feel by far is when I eat fruits/coconut water/honey through the day and iam active,and in the early evening some liver or kidneys when I feel cold despit being well fed with the other foods I mentionned,muscle meat even liver to some extend lower to some degree motivation/appreciation/joy/strength/chest expension...all the positive.only grass fed grass finished lamb kidneys is a net positive with out bad effects
Same as you but meat not everyday just when i crave it ,also cream and milk

Nomane Euger

Same as you but meat not everyday just when i crave it ,also cream and milk
Do you add salt and/or iodine?have you ever estimated how much protein you average daily?

GreekDemiGod

Almost all low-protein advocates look thin and frail.
Under 70g of protein, you’re most certainly hindering muscle mass.
There is that Low Carb guy, Rosadale who said that low protein is good for longevity and as anti-cancer. Has some interesting points.

View: https://youtu.be/Yv-M-5-s9B0

When dieting, you have to remove calories from somewhere.

Cut them from protein, and you'll lose muscle mass and be hungry all the time.
Cut them from carbs, and you'll tank your T3 and raise cortisol.
Cut them from fat, your sex hormones will plummet...

I'm inclined to cut from fat because I'm pretty sure you can get away with 30-40 g of fat per day and still keep all your sex hormones intact. And the difference between say, 40 g of fat per day and 80 g is 360 kcal which is already a decent deficit. You can then skim the rest off from carbs slightly, e.g. going from 250 to 220 g of carbs shouldn't significantly impact T3. Et voila, 500 kcal deficit.

Of course it's even better to not have to eat that much less and just move a bit more.

Razvan

Do you add salt and/or iodine?have you ever estimated how much protein you average daily?

Yes i add salt. I don't usually track my calories,but somedays i get 70grams of protein and sometimes 100-120. It depends.
Usually when i start the day fruit and coconut water are usually consumed as it brings me out of the hibernation mode and gives me energy and minerals trought the day. In the evening protein and more fruits. Also i consume lots of chocolate trought the day.

tankasnowgod

If you are going to claim that high protein diets are contributing to liver problems, you should at least cite some studies that show this. The first is an observational study of people with who already had NAFLD, so there is no way it can make any sort of claim.

The second is a rat study where rats ate 45% of calories as protein. This isn't really applicable to any normal situation, as humans rarely go over 30% for any length of time. The control group in this study "only" ate 20% of calories as protein, which is more than the high end of 18% reported in your human observational study.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals