Low estrogen? Is this possible?

OP
U

username111

Yeah, that’s why I said I’m not sure if this translates to men. I am just a random lay person on the internet too, trying to solve some health issues, and finding myself reading nutrition books and papers as a result—all over my head btw. Perhaps there’s someone on the forum who understands the intracacies of the various sex hormones who can help us out.

In my case, I know too high and too low vitamin A is causing issues based on diet/supplemental history. Seems one needs a balance, not too much, but not too little either.

Is a low vitamin A or a deficiency even plausible for you? You said you eat eggs, so perhaps not?

Having caused myself major issues by overdoing it, I don’t recommend vitamin A supplementation. Not saying it can’t be helpful to some though.

Vitamin A seems relatively easy to get from foods. Animal (retinol) sources are the active fully formed vitamin A : Liver (high), eggs, dairy, fish and other seafood, chicken, pork

Plant (pro-vitamin A or carotenoid) sources with beta carotene being the most well-known. Carotenoids give fruits and veggies their bright colors (orange, green, yellow, red). This has to be converted to pro vitamin A in the body and some people might not convert well. Sweet potato (high), carrots (high), dark leafy greens (high), lettuces, oranges, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
Thanks for thorough reply, but low E is probably worse than low T as mentioned by Kram. Still hoping that more good responses will show up here.

martybyrde

Thanks for thorough reply, but low E is probably worse than low T as mentioned by Kram. Still hoping that more good responses will show up here.
I agree. Mentioning it here pisses some people off. Hormones are way more complex than people like to make it here, and it’s definitely not as simple as “Estrogen bad.”

Over the years I’ve come across soooo many people with this same issue. All reporting identical symptoms. Ask anyone in the bodybuilding world what low E2 is like.

OP
U

username111

I agree. Mentioning it here pisses some people off. Hormones are way more complex than people like to make it here, and it’s definitely not as simple as “Estrogen bad.”

Over the years I’ve come across soooo many people with this same issue. All reporting identical symptoms. Ask anyone in the bodybuilding world what low E2 is like.
Thats true. Estrogen le bad is a dogma and I can see most people here come from unhealthy background and may need to lower it.
I think HCG is viable treatment to try, I will save it as a last resort
Ill keep looking for natural ways before resorting to something like HCG.

sixers

Do you eat beef liver? I find beef liver increases energy, emotion, and libido. I believe the copper in it is estrogenic. I'd be interested in how you react to that.

OP
U

username111

Do you eat beef liver? I find beef liver increases energy, emotion, and libido. I believe the copper in it is estrogenic. I'd be interested in how you react to that.
Ill defenitely try some liver. Thanks for the tip

maillol

Right ok before I had this issue I also took some AIs for a while, years back.

How do you suppose one could regain sensitivity?

Going by that study I posted, giving blood to reduce any iron burden might be a good first step. I'm certainly more social having been 3 times.

martybyrde

Going by that study I posted, giving blood to reduce any iron burden might be a good first step. I'm certainly more social having been 3 times.
OK so my ferritin is usually in the 70s but I actually did wet cupping a couple times (there’s blood loss) and absolutely felt better afterwards.

I don’t wanna push it because my hemoglobin sticks to the bottom of the range (but within range)

pondering

How to reduce prolactin?
Couldn’t help myself and stumbled on this page about prolactin. Interesting read.

“Control of Prolactin Secretion​

prolactin.gif
In contrast to what is seen with all the other pituitary hormones, the hypothalamus tonically suppresses prolactin secretion from the pituitary. In other words, there is usually a hypothalamic "brake" set on the lactotroph, and prolactin is secreted only when the brake is released. If the pituitary stalk is cut, prolactin secretion increases, while secretion of all the other pituitary hormones fall dramatically due to loss of hypothalamic releasing hormones.

Dopamine serves as the major prolactin-inhibiting factor or brake on prolactin secretion. Dopamine is secreted into portal blood by hypothalamic neurons, binds to receptors on lactotrophs, and inhibits both the synthesis and secretion of prolactin. Agents and drugs that interfere with dopamine secretion or receptor binding lead to enhanced secretion of prolactin.”

@pondering Are dopaminergic agonists also negative in this context? useful in case of frequent sexual intercourse? 🤔

OP
U

username111

Couldn’t help myself and stumbled on this page about prolactin. Interesting read.

“Control of Prolactin Secretion​

prolactin.gif
In contrast to what is seen with all the other pituitary hormones, the hypothalamus tonically suppresses prolactin secretion from the pituitary. In other words, there is usually a hypothalamic "brake" set on the lactotroph, and prolactin is secreted only when the brake is released. If the pituitary stalk is cut, prolactin secretion increases, while secretion of all the other pituitary hormones fall dramatically due to loss of hypothalamic releasing hormones.

Dopamine serves as the major prolactin-inhibiting factor or brake on prolactin secretion. Dopamine is secreted into portal blood by hypothalamic neurons, binds to receptors on lactotrophs, and inhibits both the synthesis and secretion of prolactin. Agents and drugs that interfere with dopamine secretion or receptor binding lead to enhanced secretion of prolactin.”
So boost dopamine then?

pondering

@pondering Are dopaminergic agonists also negative in this context? useful in case of frequent sexual intercourse? 🤔
I don’t know to be honest. Learning as I go here :). I suppose it depends on the person and factors involved.

I’m not too familiar with dopamine agonist, and without doing a lot of research, I’m inclined to think yes (dopamine agonist could be negative in the long run even in this case). Why get a drug to do something your body could potentially do on its own.

However, I understand there are situations in which the body has gone so haywire that the options are (or seem) slim. So I can’t fault anyone for seeking relief. Life can be tough, especially with major health issues. But I do wonder about the risks, particularly if you don’t absolutely need them. I wouldn’t want the side effects or long term consequences to be worse than the initial problem. This NIH Dopamine Agonist page says they are used for very serious conditions such as Parkinsons, ALS, etc. Maybe they are used for less serious health issues too?

This thread (Dopamine And Dopamine Agonists Inhibit Serotonin Synthesis) says they do lower prolactin:
So, for people struggling with high serotonin or any of its associated conditions, it seems that dopaminergic drugs may lower serotonin directly in addition to lowering prolactin.
I recommend reading his entire comment. The above is just an excerpt.

I also saw some anecdotal comments on another thread (which I can’t find at the moment), saying they can both lower and increase prolactin.

Anyone else have a perspective on this (?), as I have no personal experience in this area. I ended up on this thread hoping to learn some stuff on estrogen :).

Last edited:

pondering

So boost dopamine then?
It would seem so, unless there’s something else going on too. It did also say on that Prolactin page:

“In addition to tonic inhibition by dopamine, prolactin secretion is positively regulated by several hormones, including thyroid-releasing hormone, gonadotropin-releasing hormone and vasoactive intestinal polypeptide….

Estrogens provide a well-studied positive control over prolactin synthesis and secretion….

Disease States​

Excessive secretion of prolactin - hyperprolactinemia - is a relatively common disorder in humans. This condition has numerous causes, including prolactin-secreting tumors and therapy with certain drugs.

Common manifestations of hyperprolactinemia in women include amenorrhea (lack of menstrural cycles) and galactorrhea (excessive or spontaneous secretion of milk). Men with hyperprolactinemia typically show hypogonadism, with decreased sex drive, decreased sperm production and impotence. Such men also often show breast enlargement (gynecomastia), but very rarely produce milk.”

Last edited:

Vanset

The only symptom I can unmistakably say is caused by low estrogen is flat affect, zero emotion, zero motivation.

OP
U

username111

Would taking Mucuna and increasing l dopa would help with lowering prolactin? I read some people have success with it. What dosage to aim for?

pondering

Maybe look into vitamin c based on this thread if you haven’t already:

Ascorbate Is Essential For Dopamine Action To Inhibit Prolactin Release

—-
Also wondering if just doing something one genuinely enjoys regularly can increase dopamine as well since according to the book Meet Your Hormones (by Catherine Whitlock & Nicola Temple) it is the pleasure hormone:

“Dopamine is released in the frontal cortex of the brain - the part associated with pleasure and
reward. Like many neurotransmitters it has multiple functions, from being involved in regulating movement to controlling attention and inhibiting
the hormone prolactin, which stops the release of breast milk. Dopamine also has its downside: it is associated with compulsion and the "pleasure"
sensations of addiction, whether this is alcohol, smoking, gambling or drugs.”

Last edited:
OP
U

username111

w
Maybe look into vitamin c based on this thread if you haven’t already:

Ascorbate Is Essential For Dopamine Action To Inhibit Prolactin Release

—-
Also wondering if just doing something one genuinely enjoys regularly can increase dopamine as well since according to the book Meet Your Hormones (by Catherine Whitlock & Nicola Temple) it is the pleasure hormone:

“Dopamine is released in the frontal cortex of the brain - the part associated with pleasure and
reward. Like many neurotransmitters it has multiple functions, from being involved in regulating movement to controlling attention and inhibiting
the hormone prolactin, which stops the release of breast milk. Dopamine also has its downside: it is associated with compulsion and the "pleasure"
sensations of addiction, whether this is alcohol, smoking, gambling or drugs.”
Ill try Mucuna again and Vitamin C. What does would you recommend? 1-2 grams?

pondering

Ill try Mucuna again and Vitamin C. What does would you recommend? 1-2 grams?

I can only speak generally about vitamin C, so not sure what total dosage you should use for this. Also the paper in that thread talks about “a small amount” of vitamin C:

“Perifusion of a high concentration of dopamine (1,000 nM) could not sustain inhibitory action on prolactin release but when a small amount of ascorbic acid (0.1 mM) is added in a low concentration of dopamine (3 nM) solution, prolactin release was inhibited for a long period.”

Vitamin C absorption decreases with increased intake, so if intake is more than 1 gram, absorption is less than 50 percent.

Which is why this suggestion makes sense to me:
200-250 mg at a time is usually enough. Then take every 4 hours. Even 1x/day can be sufficient.

If you take more vitamin C than your body can handle (whether from food or supplements, and whether at one time or successively), you’ll start to get looser stools. High dose vitamin C regularly can decrease cholesterol, which is needed the steriod hormones (estrogen). High doses can also increase the chance of kidney stones (if you have that predisposition).

Maybe consider Vitamin C foods: guava, bell peppers, citrus fruits, kiwi, strawberries, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc.—assuming you digest them well.

Last edited:
OP
U

username111

I can only speak generally about vitamin C, so not sure what total dosage you should use for this. Also the paper in that thread talks about “a small amount” of vitamin C:

“Perifusion of a high concentration of dopamine (1,000 nM) could not sustain inhibitory action on prolactin release but when a small amount of ascorbic acid (0.1 mM) is added in a low concentration of dopamine (3 nM) solution, prolactin release was inhibited for a long period.”

Vitamin C absorption decreases with increased intake, so if intake is more than 1 gram, absorption is less than 50 percent.

Which is why this suggestion makes sense to me:

If you take more vitamin C than your body can handle (whether from food or supplements, and whether at one time or successively), you’ll start to get looser stools. High dose vitamin C regularly can decrease cholesterol, which is needed the steriod hormones (estrogen). High doses can also increase the chance of kidney stones (if you have that predisposition).

Maybe consider Vitamin C foods: guava, bell peppers, citrus fruits, kiwi, strawberries, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc.—assuming you digest them well.
Thanks for the foods suggestions, will look into eating more of those.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals