Low-dose niacinamide has striking anti-obesity effects

If you take niacin in unphysiological doses, it will mess up your substrate balance. Initially, niacin will significantly depress free fatty acids and enhance glucose oxidation. If you take too much niacin with regards to your current metabolic situation, there will be a rebound of free fatty acids to supranormal levels. If you repeat this to an extreme you'll compromise your ability to oxidize glucose and end up with chronically elevated free fatty acids. You basically end up with the exact opposite of what you wanted to achieve by taking niacin in the first place.

View attachment 37540

Do you think there is anyway to mitigate this if you wanted to take a large amount therapeutically?

I am thinking that taking a lot of Niacinamide would essentially be like losing weight too fast which could flood your system with fats and possibly break something(like destroying your pancreas) or trigger a disease state? Am I understanding that right? What would an unphysiological dose be in your opinion?

Kvothe

I make sure to take a tablet of trimethylglycine too.
Please don't. Supplying any surplus methyl donors is probably never a good idea, or safe. Even if you take niacinamide, you will get all the methionione you need from ordinary protein sources.

o you think there is anyway to mitigate this if you wanted to take a large amount therapeutically?

I am thinking that taking a lot of Niacinamide would essentially be like losing weight too fast which could flood your system with fats and possibly break something(like destroying your pancreas) or trigger a disease state? Am I understanding that right? What would an unphysiological dose be in your opinion?
Niacinamide is not the same as niacin, and doesn't produce this effect unless taken in very large doses.

Please don't. Supplying any surplus methyl donors is probably never a good idea, or safe. Even if you take niacinamide, you will get all the methionione you need from ordinary protein sources.

Niacinamide is not the same as niacin, and doesn't produce this effect unless taken in very large doses.
Yes I do realize they are different. I wont try Niacin in large doses because I think I would hate the flushing feeling.

I am just trying to understand this before I embark on any experiments. I do trust Peat and he seems to think it is ok to take it. I think I heard an interview where he mentioned 25-50mg several times a day. But I just was curious about the diabetes thing since Masterjohn mentioned it.

Peater

Is it especially risky? What should i watch out for? I haven't noticed any ill effects. In fact it's a little early to say so i haven't mentioned it yet, but a sweating problem i have had for a long time seems to be noticeably improved although i have had "false hopes" before so i was going to see if it sticks.

Currently just taking the niacinamide, TMG, Allithiamine, and riboflavin 5'-phosphate but that is outside the scope of this thread so i will find and update my original thread if it helps. It really does seem like despite eating liver and brewer's yeast i was struggling to get enough B3.

Callmestar

There's quite a bit of talk of Niacin in this thread, with some assumptions it's the same as Niacinamide. I'm no expert but was always advised they were different. For clarification:

"Niacinamide is one of the two forms of vitamin B3 — the other being nicotinic acid. Vitamin B3 is also known as niacin. Niacinamide and nicotinic acid both provide vitamin B3 activity, but they differ in chemical structure and how they affect your health."

Peater

Is this dosage the sweet spot for niacinamide weight loss? I see elsewhere that it allegedly causes weight gain, but is used in much higher doses for alcohol addiction and schizophrenia.

Nebula

I’m pretty sure I’m getting positive results sipping on water all day with 200mg Niacinamide. I felt some mild euphoria after my dinner today. I usually associate that with higher NAD levels. So tiny amounts spaced out many times throughout the day seem to get me better results than a single or a few larger doses. I might try adding a single mg of methylene blue next. I had bad experiences previously with larger doses of either so I’m hoping sipping these micro doses finally gets me some consistent NAD raising results.

sunny

Which source for powdered niacinamide is trustworthy these days? I had some from Healthnatura but it is several years old. They don't seem to have it on website anymore. Bulk supplements? Pure bulk?

Dr. B

As you can see in one of the screenshots I posted, fatty acid oxidation is quite increased as well. I think that's normal, same happens with uncoupling and it's not just the fat oxidation that is increased ,carb oxidation as well. Nutrient oxidation in generel you could say.

Otherwise it would have been hard to loose that amount of fat in such a short time.
do you have to supplement b3 or is drinking lots of milk enough to replicate these benefits. like half gallon or full gallon

TheCodez

I've been dividing 750 mg of niacinamide into 7 daily doses (every 2 hours) for 3 weeks now. My actual weight on the scales has not changed significantly, but my abdominal muscle definition has definitely improved. Without a doubt I have seen a decrease in abdominal fat without significantly increasing caloric expenditure or decreasing caloric intake.

I have also observed a possibly related improvement in tumor pain over the course of the same timeframe.

I'd like to continue this experiment, but I'm wondering how certain we can be that the same hepatotoxicity that we see with sustained release Niacin isn't an issue with simulating sustained release niacinamide?

Dr. B

I've been dividing 750 mg of niacinamide into 7 daily doses (every 2 hours) for 3 weeks now. My actual weight on the scales has not changed significantly, but my abdominal muscle definition has definitely improved. Without a doubt I have seen a decrease in abdominal fat without significantly increasing caloric expenditure or decreasing caloric intake.

I have also observed a possibly related improvement in tumor pain over the course of the same timeframe.

I'd like to continue this experiment, but I'm wondering how certain we can be that the same hepatotoxicity that we see with sustained release Niacin isn't an issue with simulating sustained release niacinamide?

I want to test this out but am concerned about side effects and the large doses depleting/effecting other vitamins.

I have had the best results cutting all supplements out besides 500mg black seed oil.

years ago I did use niacin/niacinamide, it was 80mg niacinamide and 40mg niacin a day. I got the stress response, low blood sugar, muscles seemed to tire and catabolize easier. same effect I got from T3 and aspirin and some other things. but some people say it was the niacin causing that so idk.

Mazzle

I am still very fat. This has not worked in the slightest for me. I have been taking 250mg in water (with asprin as it happens) as a divided dose three times a day since this post was put up.
Has anyone else had any results with this?

EvanHinkle

Yeah, didn’t work for weight loss either. I took 60mg every two hours and 1 aspirin alongside it. I will say however, that I seem to be reaping the benefits of uncoupling to some degree. My temps have dramatically improved, (used to be low 98s, now commonly 98.8 and even 99). My energy has also improved, (maybe one late afternoon crash per week where it used to be daily).

I’m going to continue along for three months and reassess. It may need more time, (I’m coming from years of hypothyroidism).

Also I’m taking NDT and it’s working for the first time since I began tracking pulse and temps. I tried NDT at the outset of discovering Peat’s work about two years ago and couldn’t make it work, (in hindsight I was under eating and just totally uninformed). Now, half a grain about mid-day is working!

Nebula

I am still very fat. This has not worked in the slightest for me. I have been taking 250mg in water (with asprin as it happens) as a divided dose three times a day since this post was put up.
Has anyone else had any results with this?
Imo the best way to lose fat is low fat high carb + seafood and other low fat protein. It works especially with some walking, but will take 6-12 months maybe longer to lose your excess fat. I ate rice, fruit, potato, steamed vegetables and lean beef heart and shrimp for 6 months and lost about all fat possible while eating over 2000 calories per day walking a few miles every other day on average. I did my supplement anything else. I now supplement small amounts of niacinamide and methylene blue to increase NAD but in my case I don’t think it’s necessary for fat loss. I also eat more fat now without gaining fat.

TheCodez

Yeah, didn’t work for weight loss either. I took 60mg every two hours and 1 aspirin alongside it. I will say however, that I seem to be reaping the benefits of uncoupling to some degree. My temps have dramatically improved, (used to be low 98s, now commonly 98.8 and even 99). My energy has also improved, (maybe one late afternoon crash per week where it used to be daily).

I’m going to continue along for three months and reassess. It may need more time, (I’m coming from years of hypothyroidism).

Also I’m taking NDT and it’s working for the first time since I began tracking pulse and temps. I tried NDT at the outset of discovering Peat’s work about two years ago and couldn’t make it work, (in hindsight I was under eating and just totally uninformed). Now, half a grain about mid-day is working!T
The fat loss isn't like taking amphetamines or anything. I eat the exact same number of calories per day 90% of days. Prior to starting niacinamide my composition was notably unchanged from day to day. For as long as I've been taking it now, I can tell that it makes just enough difference to tip the (proverbial) scales and continue to improve my abdominal definition day by day. I can halt the progress as easily as drinking a pint of whole milk.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that the niacinamide definitely works, but the effect is very subtle.

Note that I have experienced zero weight loss during the course of this experiment. I can only assume that my normal weight lifting routine has resulted in increased muscle (if only ever so slight) as well. I'll also note that if I wasn't already pretty trim, I doubt I'd be able to tell anything was happening.

If this behaves the same for everyone else as it does for me, it's not a weight loss plan. It simply polishes your composition a little.

Last edited: