Low Dose Naltrexone Vs Bromocriptine [Anhedonia]

Hi Everyone,

I have been suffering from anhedonia (loss of pleasure, no excitement, detachment, etc) I was wondering if bromocriptine or LDN would be useful to experiment with? Any opinions, experiences?

Lucy

I guess it depends what your problem is. If it's elevated prolactin (which I think correlates with serotonin), then bromocriptine or other antiserotonin drugs would be helpful. LDN will lower endorphins, which are also often implicated in causing illness as per Peat.

OP

Hey Lucy,

My prolactin is at a good level (per last tests), not sure about my endorphins. Just looked up some info on LDN and it has been used for depersonalization disorders. Will need to do some more reading. I was assuming that since bromocriptine is a LSD derivative, it would give me that 'warmth and enjoyment' feeling I have lost since my health problems started. Maybe I'll experiment with one for a few months

kiran

Do you have elevated serotonin. Ondansetron might be something to try in that case.

OP

Serotonin came back at normal levels. Not sure what to do next, except to start experimenting.

kiran

How high is "normal"? It should be low normal, very often the lab range goes too high.

kettlebell

032487 said:
Hey Lucy,

My prolactin is at a good level (per last tests), not sure about my endorphins. Just looked up some info on LDN and it has been used for depersonalization disorders. Will need to do some more reading. I was assuming that since bromocriptine is a LSD derivative, it would give me that 'warmth and enjoyment' feeling I have lost since my health problems started. Maybe I'll experiment with one for a few months

Be very very careful with bromocriptine. Side effects are extremely unpleasant if over dosed. I have read of some people having as low as 1/6 of a 2.5mg tablet per day and still having terrible side effects. Google what they are.

cliff

Do you do the diet? I think anti-serotonin drugs should be a last resort type thing or if you have serious debilitating issue.

OP

Hi Cliff,

I do the ray peat diet. Milk is something I can only have on occassion as its still bothersome (bloating, constipation). I do eat a fair amount of ice cream though.

Not quite sure what to do next. I really want to take control of my anhedonia. Not sure many understand how horrible experiencing no pleasure, sadness, excitement can be. I am trying to be as optimistic as possible, but its been 2 years and so many other things have improved, but this is the big one I really need to get a handle on.

I currently take thyroid, progesterone, testosterone, and small amounts of DHEA. Also female, 26 y/o.

nwo2012

032487 said:
Hi Cliff,

I do the ray peat diet. Milk is something I can only have on occassion as its still bothersome (bloating, constipation). I do eat a fair amount of ice cream though.

Not quite sure what to do next. I really want to take control of my anhedonia. Not sure many understand how horrible experiencing no pleasure, sadness, excitement can be. I am trying to be as optimistic as possible, but its been 2 years and so many other things have improved, but this is the big one I really need to get a handle on.

I currently take thyroid, progesterone, testosterone, and small amounts of DHEA. Also female, 26 y/o.

One word, PREGNENOLONE!

Sorry for shouting.

OP

Hahah, shouting is sometimes necessary.

Forgot to mention, am on 60mg on preg. Take it with progesterone at night. Knocks me out cold. Love it.

nwo2012

032487 said:
Hahah, shouting is sometimes necessary.

Forgot to mention, am on 60mg on preg. Take it with progesterone at night. Knocks me out cold. Love it.

Have you tried higher doses of pregnenolone? You should experiment with mega dosages (get the raw powder from B.A.C). It could help, you may need high dosages. How is your salt intake? Was just thinking about the lithium-like effects of sodium. Also I do think either low dose naltrexone or bromocriptine would be worth a try as a last resort.

OP

Thanks for your interest NWO2012.

I have never used SSRIs before, and my doctor is pretty against them aswell. She is an integrative doc and for the most part, anything I have asked for she has given.

I have an appt on Friday and get my most recent bloodwork back, she did however get her nurse to call and tell me to cut back on my thyroid med from 60-30mg so I wonder what my results look like.

I may try the mega dose of preg. I had low progesterone levels (super low) and then started supping and then they were deemed high (not sure if that is a realiable range? Has peat ever said anything about that?) But I still use 200-300mg prometrium daily. Estrogen always came back low, but I have put some wweight on and got my first period in 2 years last month so the wheels are churning.

Salt is hit or miss. If I eat steak or ground beef i pour the salt on and put salt on my daily carrot salad. Could be higher. Maybe I will put a little more effort in getting 2tbsp in. Im probably around 1tbsp now and have gone up to 3 but didn't notice a whole lot.

Birdie

I was just at a bromocriptine sales site and began wondering if anybody here had started bromocriptine? If so, have you noticed anything?

I'm still using LDN. 3.5mg at night. Seems to bring me slightly elevated sense of well being. The body feels slightly stronger when I awaken. Still have a ways to go with the dose.

Birdie

kettlebell said:
032487 said:
Hey Lucy,

Be very very careful with bromocriptine. Side effects are extremely unpleasant if over dosed. I have read of some people having as low as 1/6 of a 2.5mg tablet per day and still having terrible side effects. Google what they are.

Oh, this was what I was looking for. I'll just stick with my present program for now. Thanks for the info.

OP

Birdie, can you tell me why you started taking LDN and what other benefits/side effects you have noticed?

Birdie

032487 said:
Birdie, can you tell me why you started taking LDN and what other benefits/side effects you have noticed?

I think LDN helps with endotoxin.

I'm taking it for various reasons and am interested in the possible long term benefits of reduced risk for some cancers.

I think, but am not sure that I first heard of it from RP. Last night I listened to a utube of Dr Bihari, who developed the low dose use of naltrexone. It's biggst use is in AIDs patients and second biggest use is in cancer tx. Along with other modalities I hear.

I have read a lot about LDN on various forums. It's helped people with autoimmune diseases.

I'm using it along with many RP suggestions for a holistic treatment that includes ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia. I've experienced a little increase in mood and some feeling of more strength in my body. This improvement is occasional not everyday. For the last couple of years, I'd been in a relapse with little energy.

I don't know if that's any help to you.... I do write in my Log on this forum, but it's very long.

Parsifal

032487 said:
post 11902 Hi Everyone,

I have been suffering from anhedonia (loss of pleasure, no excitement, detachment, etc) I was wondering if bromocriptine or LDN would be useful to experiment with? Any opinions, experiences?
Any updates from your anhedonia? I have this problem since puberty (since almost 15 years now) and the only thing that helped was marijuana when I was a teenager. Can't take it now because it makes my symptoms worse and seems to shut my thyroid.

Last edited by a moderator: