Low-dose Glycine May Treat Alcoholic Delirium / Hallucinosis In Humans

haidut

Forum Supporter
The symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and its associated delirium are due mostly to serotonin overload and functional GABA deficiency. As such, anti-serotonin drugs can be very beneficial but they often have side effects and cannot be freely obtained. This human study showed that a single, relatively low dose glycine (700mg) greatly reduced the severity of the delirium in most patients and completely prevented it in some. Glycine is a known GABA agonist and the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain stem and spinal cord. In addition, glycine has shown benefit in human trials with schizophrenia, which is a serotonin-driven condition like all psychoses. Thus, glycine is likely anti-serotoninergic as well.

Application of glycine in acute alcohol hallucinosis. - PubMed - NCBI

"...RESULTS: The 20 patients randomised to the active drug (700 mg glycine sublingually) demonstrated a significant decrease in severity of hallucinosis compared to the 20 patients receiving placebo. CONCLUSION: The positive effects of glycine may be related to an altered balance between excitatory and inhibitory amino acid neurotransmitters."

Last edited:

Dante

The symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and its associated delirium are due mostly to serotonin overload and functional GABA deficiency. As such, anti-serotonin drugs can be very beneficial but they often have side effects and cannot be freely obtained. This human study showed that a single, relatively low dose glycine (700mg) greatly reduced the severity of the delirium in most patients and completely prevented it in some. Glycine is a known GABA agonist and the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain stem and spinal cord. In addition, glycine has shown benefit in human trials with schizophrenia, which is a serotonin-driven condition like all psychoses. Thus, glycine is likely anti-serotoninergic as well.

"...RESULTS: The 20 patients randomised to the active drug (700 mg glycine sublingually) demonstrated a significant decrease in severity of hallucinosis compared to the 20 patients receiving placebo. CONCLUSION: The positive effects of glycine may be related to an altered balance between excitatory and inhibitory amino acid neurotransmitters."
I took 1g glycine with a meal and got depression like symptoms (lack of emotions, just not well), it didn't help with my sleep (still random ,vivid dreams which wake one up) and next morning i woke with a heavy head (mild hangover)
Edit: I read your glycine diabetes post and found out it reduces blood sugar. My Hb1Ac% levels are around 4.7 % . Could the symptoms be due to glycine causing low blood sugar ?

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I took 1g glycine with a meal and got depression like symptoms (lack of emotions, just not well), it didn't help with my sleep (still random ,vivid dreams which wake one up) and next morning i woke with a heavy head (mild hangover)
Edit: I read your glycine diabetes post and found out it reduces blood sugar. My Hb1Ac% levels are around 4.7 % . Could the symptoms be due to glycine causing low blood sugar ?

Glycine can lower blood sugar pretty reliably but usually does that in higher doses (5g single dose would do it). The 1g dose you took could have lowered blood glucose but the symptoms could also be allergic reaction to some impurity in the capsule. I would try another product if possible before deciding that it is the glycine proper doing this.

ddjd

does alcohol intake lower GABA levels in the long term?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
does alcohol intake lower GABA levels in the long term?

Yes, and this is one of the reasons abruptly stopping chronic alcohol consumption can lead to seizures and other issues. Singer Amy Winehouse died from abrupt alcohol withdrawal, possibly due to seizures.

EIRE24

Yes, and this is one of the reasons abruptly stopping chronic alcohol consumption can lead to seizures and other issues. Singer Amy Winehouse died from abrupt alcohol withdrawal, possibly due to seizures.
So it is best to wean off alcohol?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So it is best to wean off alcohol?

If there is chronic use then slowly tapering off would be better than stopping cold turkey. Using GABA agonists like taurine, progesterone, glycine, etc (or oral GABA itself) may also help easy the withdrawal. Anti-serotonin chemicals also block the withdrawal symptoms.

EIRE24

If there is chronic use then slowly tapering off would be better than stopping cold turkey. Using GABA agonists like taurine, progesterone, glycine, etc (or oral GABA itself) may also help easy the withdrawal. Anti-serotonin chemicals also block the withdrawal symptoms.
Thanks.