Low-dose Glycine As A Treatment For Menopause, Osteoporosis, Obesity

milk_lover

Gelatin from reputable brands like Great Lakes (green and red can), store bought gelatin, and even glycine supplements have always swelled me up. My tissues may be still having excess estrogen and my liver cannot clear them out as fast as estrogen releasing from the tissues even though I take B1 and B2. I get the same effect from vitamin D supplements. I don't know if there is any similar mechanism between vitamin D and glycine. When I take low dose of glycine (<500mg, <1/8 tsp), I don't seem to get the edema problem. The last two days, I haven't taken any glycine and my face is so slim I actually look like myself finally! Glycine needs to be approached with caution I think depending on how much estrogen your tissues have and how fast your system can clear it up.

whodathunkit

I'm wondering if forcing unneeded estrogen from cells into the circulation where it can stimulate things like fibroid growth might also influence the growth of cells in the breast. My question would be if that short term release of cellular hormone could be harmful? I suppose the carrot salad might help in the elimination of some estrogen. I have been using gelatin for the past 2 weeks and have also noticed edema.
Albina, aside from a stint with a Danny Roddy HLAF diet a few years back, and some reading here and there over the years, I don't have a lot of experience with Peat. That's the main reason I'm here...to learn more now that I seem to be "ready" for more Peat. :)

But I do have some experience with changing my health for the better with methods considered far outside the mainstream, and based on what I've experienced in the past, it may be possible to "push through" the estrogen release, to get to a place where you have a lessened estrogen load and thus feel better and are healthier. It may be analogous to (but not precisely the same as) the process of chelating heavy metals...there is often a critical reaction in the beginning, but things get better over time as your toxin load becomes available for excretion and leaves the body. Even though the toxins are liberated for a while so that they may cause problems, the benefits of liberating them (i.e., permanent excretion) far outweigh the drawbacks of short-term side effects or leaving them where they are in perpetuity. If we don't do something to get these substances out of our bodies, that's what happens...they just stay there and ultimately cause more and bigger problems.

I've been reluctant to use progesterone because every single time I've tried in in the past it's caused my fibroids to swell to a very unpleasant degree. Gelatin has done the same thing to me. But those times I never understood about estrogen storage and the role progesterone or gelatin/glycine could play in its elimination.

After sleeping on it, I decided I'm going to start making oxtail and bone broth again, use some gelatin, and add some progesterone, and hope I don't explode like an overfilled edema balloon before getting through it all to the other side. :lol:

Gelatin from reputable brands like Great Lakes (green and red can), store bought gelatin, and even glycine supplements have always swelled me up. My tissues may be still having excess estrogen and my liver cannot clear them out as fast as estrogen releasing from the tissues even though I take B1 and B2. I get the same effect from vitamin D supplements. I don't know if there is any similar mechanism between vitamin D and glycine. When I take low dose of glycine (<500mg, <1/8 tsp), I don't seem to get the edema problem. The last two days, I haven't taken any glycine and my face is so slim I actually look like myself finally! Glycine needs to be approached with caution I think depending on how much estrogen your tissues have and how fast your system can clear it up.
Good points. And good for you about your face! ;) If our liver is not up to snuff it may be best to go slowly. Probably limiting fat would be helpful during the process.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

So I tried some progesterone today for the first time in years, and this is the first time I've ever noticed a positive effect from it. It was Progest-E from years ago, still in the fridge, and it still worked. I noticed my heart rate go up, it raised my body temp almost immediately (had to take off a flannel overshirt I'd worn all the rest of the day), got rid of my cramping, lessened my bleeding, and attenuated my mood a little bit. Still bloated but I think it helped that a smidge, too. Sorry for TMI. This experience has made me determined to flush the excess estrogen from my tissues, finally. Hope it doesn't take forever.

Thanks for the clue to this piece of the puzzle, @haidut!

Z

Zsazsa

Would Calcium-D-Glucarate have a place in this discussion? Any experiences?

Luann

I started taking glycine two months ago. I'm 63, obese, diabetic, post menopausal. I quickly gained about 4 pounds of edema, practically overnight. Since then, I have gained about five more pounds. Since I am obese, this is not a good thing. I had been losing weight slowly but now not only can I not lose, but I am just trying not to gain anymore.

I have found the glycine improves my sleep. I have terrible issues with sleep where I can usually sleep only two or three hours at a time. The glycine enables me to sleep at least four or five hours at a stretch so I am reluctant to give it up but I do not enjoy the issues with edema and weight gain.

Anyone else have issues with weight gain and edema from glycine?

This has been my experience also. I gained 4 pounds of fluid overnight after taking the first dose of glycine. I do take it with aspirin, among other things .

And @whodathunkit , I also get bloated from glycine. Have any of you found a way to take it that works out?

Will try the lower dose, milk. Gracias! I wouldn't even take the glycine except after doing mostly a milk and fruit thing for months I'm not really making collagen and my face looks pruny. Not so great.

Ell

I don't know. But, in view of all the N-phosphonomethyl glycine (glyphosate) that's in the commercially-sold food most eat, my wild guess is that supplementing with a little glycine before every meal might block some of that glyphosate from becoming incorporated into the DNA

Mathgirl

"Therefore, we suggest that glycine may be useful for the treatment of menopause."
Last week I searched the forum for heavy prolonged menstrual bleeding, a new addition to my menopausal fun. I found the advice of 58g gelatin divided into 3 doses a day. This stopped the problem overnight and has worked for the past 3 days when I'm on a stressful trip, no access to suitable bathrooms or laundry. Or decent regular meals. So it has doubled as most of my daily protein, in hot water with much sugar. I would have been in a lot of trouble without it. I plan to keep this up if nausea doesn't get me. None so far. Thanks for the info, I'm grateful.

Wish I would have learned of this sooner before I did an ablation...

Mathgirl

"Therefore, we suggest that glycine may be useful for the treatment of menopause."
Last week I searched the forum for heavy prolonged menstrual bleeding, a new addition to my menopausal fun. I found the advice of 58g gelatin divided into 3 doses a day. This stopped the problem overnight and has worked for the past 3 days when I'm on a stressful trip, no access to suitable bathrooms or laundry. Or decent regular meals. So it has doubled as most of my daily protein, in hot water with much sugar. I would have been in a lot of trouble without it. I plan to keep this up if nausea doesn't get me. None so far. Thanks for the info, I'm grateful.
Any update???-wondering if this continued to work.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals