Low-dose Emodin Can Change Gut Microbiome And Alleviate Kidney DiseaseHere We Utilized A Rat CKD Mod

haidut

Forum Supporter
As most people here know Ray is not in favor of "probiotics" supplements, with the possible exception of BioSporin. This study found that an enema with low-dose emodin changed the microbiome in a way that eliminated uremic toxins in a model of kidney disease and also alleviated the pathology of the kidney disease. The human equivalent dose was 0.7mg/kg, which can probably be achieved with 2 capsules of cascara bark dissolved in saline and administered as an enema.

Emodin via colonic irrigation modulates gut microbiota and reduces uremic toxins in rats with chronic kidney disease. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Here we utilized a rat CKD model of 5/6 nephrectomy to evaluate the effect of emodin, a main ingredient of rhubarb, on gut microbiota and uremic toxins in CKD. Emodin was administered via colonic irrigation at 5ml (1mg/day) for four weeks. We found that emodin via colonic irrigation (ECI) altered levels of two important uremic toxins, urea and indoxyl sulfate (IS), and changed gut microbiota in rats with CKD. ECI remarkably reduced urea and IS and improved renal function. Pyrosequencing and Real-Time qPCR analyses revealed that ECI resumed the microbial balance from an abnormal status in CKD. We also demonstrated that ten genera were positively correlated with Urea while four genera exhibited the negative correlation. Moreover, three genera were positively correlated with IS. Therefore, emodin altered the gut microbiota structure. It reduced the number of harmful bacteria, such as Clostridium spp. that is positively correlated with both urea and IS, but augmented the number of beneficial bacteria, including Lactobacillus spp. that is negatively correlated with urea. Thus, changes in gut microbiota induced by emodin via colonic irrigation are closely associated with reduction in uremic toxins and mitigation of renal injury."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Would Lapodin work...orally?

It should work even topically. The emodin in the study was done as enema since emodin has very low bioavailability when taken orally. However, even oral cascara should work as enough would reach the colon to have this pro-biotic effect.

jyb

It should work even topically. The emodin in the study was done as enema since emodin has very low bioavailability when taken orally. However, even oral cascara should work as enough would reach the colon to have this pro-biotic effect.

Low bioavailability? Emodin is what causes the loose stools when you take more than a small amount of cascara.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Low bioavailability? Emodin is what causes the loose stools when you take more than a small amount of cascara.

Yes, low bioavailability. High bioavailability means high absorption and high levels in the blood. It is the low bioavailability of emodin (i.e lack of absorption) that allows it to reach the colon and do its good there. Bioavailability of emodin is between 1% and 3% when taken orally and it is considered very low. For record, beta-lapachone's is <15% orally. So, it is low for both. That is why Lapodin is such a good supplement because with DMSO and topical application you can get blood concentrations equivalent to ingesting tens of grams of bark. And the effects with topical application are a lot more systemic then local.

jyb

Yes, low bioavailability. High bioavailability means high absorption and high levels in the blood. It is the low bioavailability of emodin (i.e lack of absorption) that allows it to reach the colon and do its good there. Bioavailability of emodin is between 1% and 3% when taken orally and it is considered very low. For record, beta-lapachone's is <15% orally. So, it is low for both. That is why Lapodin is such a good supplement because with DMSO and topical application you can get blood concentrations equivalent to ingesting tens of grams of bark. And the effects with topical application are a lot more systemic then local.

Fair enough. I have some good cascara but haven't really experimented with it topically. I'm not keen on DMSO and am never too sure what's the absorption rate with water or ethanol...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Fair enough. I have some good cascara but haven't really experimented with it topically. I'm not keen on DMSO and am never too sure what's the absorption rate with water or ethanol...

If you keep the DMSO dose low, say 1ml/1g, and have dissolved a decent amount of cascara in it then the systemic effects of <1ml DMSO would be close to nil. There is probably more bacteria floating around your blood and the body simply does not consider it a big enough problem to be worth addressing.

Parsifal

Why did Koch used quinones in micro-doses?

So if Uremic toxins are bad, could taking Urea or practicing Urine Therapy be bad for the kidneys?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why did Koch used quinones in micro-doses?

So if Uremic toxins are bad, could taking Urea or practicing Urine Therapy be bad for the kidneys?

The quinones Koch used were a lot more powerful than the anthraquinones and naphthoquinones. I am working on a product (not for human use) that contains some of those Koch quinones and indeed they are only usable in microgram doses.
Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.
"...Emodin and the anthraquinones (and naphthoquinones, such as lapachone) weren’t the reagents that Koch considered the most powerful, but emodin can produce to some degree all of the effects that he believed could be achieved by correcting the cellular respiratory apparatus: Antiinflammatory, antifibrotic (Wang, et al., 2007) antiviral, antidepressant, heart protective, antioxidant, memory enhancing, anticancer, anxiolytic and possibly antipsychotic."

mirc12354

So if one is taking Lapodin mainly fol lowering cortisol it makes no sense to take it orally?
Does DMSO have no effect on bioavaliability whan a product such as lapodin is taken orally?

Just wondering since I just received the product...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So if one is taking Lapodin mainly fol lowering cortisol it makes no sense to take it orally?
Does DMSO have no effect on bioavaliability whan a product such as lapodin is taken orally?

Just wondering since I just received the product...

Correct, if Lapodin is taken for lowering cortisol or other systemic issues then it is best taken topically. I don't know much about oral absorption of products dissolved in DMSO. Some of it will obviously absorb in the mouth and esophagus, but some of it will reach the stomach where it will get broken down by stomach acid into its constituents and the DMSO won't be much help. That is why how you take Lapodin depends on your reasons. But even for colon health topical may be better if you apply on the abdomen or in the pelvic area.