Low Dose DHEA Powerfully Shifts The Redox Status Towards Oxidation

haidut

Forum Supporter
A great study, which shows that low-dose DHEA in the range discussed here on the forum (about 15mg daily) not only completely reversed the reductive stress seen in very old mammals but put the aging animals in an even more oxidized state than their very young counterparts. This study matches perfectly well the other study I just posted showing that DHEA may be the master "kill switch" for cancer due to its enhancing effects on ROS and inhibition of G6PD(H).
DHEA As A Cure For Cancer

Unfortunately, I can't get access to the full study text to see what other benefits DHEA had that are not described in the abstract. It would be also interesting to see the method of administration for DHEA. Rodent studies most often use either subcutaneous or intraperitoneal, which would approximate topical and oral route in humans.

DHEA treatment effects on redox environment in skeletal muscle of young and aged healthy rats. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is an important precursor of active steroid hormone, produced abundantly by the adrenal cortex with an age-dependent pattern. We investigated whether chronic DHEA administration impacts on redox status and on Akt protein activation in skeletal muscle during the aging process (3 and 24 month-old rats). Rats received one weekly dose/5 weeks of DHEA (10 mg/kg) or vehicle. Gastrocnemius muscle was removed to evaluate glutathione system, hydrogen peroxide, antioxidant enzymes, and expression of Akt kinase protein. In the 3-month-old rats DHEA induced an increase in hydrogen peroxide when compared both to its control (276%) and the 24-month-old DHEA group (485%). Moreover, in the 24-month-old rats DHEA caused an increase in GSSG (41 and 28%), a decrease in reduced-GSH (55 and 51%), and a more oxidized redox status (reduction in GSH/GSSG ratio, 47 and 65 %) when compared to 3-month-old DHEA and to 24-month-old control groups, respectively. Both older groups had increased G6PDH (2.7 fold) and GST (1.7 fold) activities when compared to younger groups, independently of any DHEA treatment. However, there was no modulation of Akt protein (phosphorylated/total isoform)."

ddjd

10mg DHEA seems to completely stop my stress reaction to coffee. I can't believe I went so many years without trying it

Regina

A great study, which shows that low-dose DHEA in the range discussed here on the forum (about 15mg daily) not only completely reversed the reductive stress seen in very old mammals but put the aging animals in an even more oxidized state than their very young counterparts. This study matches perfectly well the other study I just posted showing that DHEA may be the master "kill switch" for cancer due to its enhancing effects on ROS and inhibition of G6PD(H).
DHEA As A Cure For Cancer

Unfortunately, I can't get access to the full study text to see what other benefits DHEA had that are not described in the abstract. It would be also interesting to see the method of administration for DHEA. Rodent studies most often use either subcutaneous or intraperitoneal, which would approximate topical and oral route in humans.

DHEA treatment effects on redox environment in skeletal muscle of young and aged healthy rats. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is an important precursor of active steroid hormone, produced abundantly by the adrenal cortex with an age-dependent pattern. We investigated whether chronic DHEA administration impacts on redox status and on Akt protein activation in skeletal muscle during the aging process (3 and 24 month-old rats). Rats received one weekly dose/5 weeks of DHEA (10 mg/kg) or vehicle. Gastrocnemius muscle was removed to evaluate glutathione system, hydrogen peroxide, antioxidant enzymes, and expression of Akt kinase protein. In the 3-month-old rats DHEA induced an increase in hydrogen peroxide when compared both to its control (276%) and the 24-month-old DHEA group (485%). Moreover, in the 24-month-old rats DHEA caused an increase in GSSG (41 and 28%), a decrease in reduced-GSH (55 and 51%), and a more oxidized redox status (reduction in GSH/GSSG ratio, 47 and 65 %) when compared to 3-month-old DHEA and to 24-month-old control groups, respectively. Both older groups had increased G6PDH (2.7 fold) and GST (1.7 fold) activities when compared to younger groups, independently of any DHEA treatment. However, there was no modulation of Akt protein (phosphorylated/total isoform)."
:thumbsup: Very cool haidut! Thanks for posting.

haidut, do you think that topical DHEA, when applied, affects all tissues equally, or does it affect the local site of application more strongly than the rest of the body? i.e. applying pansterone to a specific muscle area would make that area grow more strongly than everywhere else?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut, do you think that topical DHEA, when applied, affects all tissues equally, or does it affect the local site of application more strongly than the rest of the body? i.e. applying pansterone to a specific muscle area would make that area grow more strongly than everywhere else?

It does have somewhat stronger effect on the local area of absorption but whatever makes it to the blood has systemic effect. I think topical route is actually more systemic than oral, at least as far as DHEA is concerned.

Cirion

10mg DHEA seems to completely stop my stress reaction to coffee. I can't believe I went so many years without trying it

10 mg total or 10 mg / kg of bodyweight like this study suggested?

Cirion

Ah, I assumed that human dosages were always higher than rat dosages, so I guess that's not always the case?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
10 mg total or 10 mg / kg of bodyweight like this study suggested?

It was 10mg/kg once weekly. That means about 1.5 mg/kg daily, which translates to about 10mg-15mg for most people, depending on weight. For some very heavy ones it could be up to 20mg.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I don't know, I thought so too.

I already responded to his comment. It was once weekly doe of 10mg/kg, which translates to much lower daily dose.

Cirion

Thanks haidut. I missed the part where it said that much weekly, and not daily. Also sorry for the ignorance, but I must be missing something, if it's 1.5 mg/kg daily, and someone weighs say 80kg, wouldn't that be 80x1.5 = 120 mg daily?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks haidut. I missed the part where it said that much weekly, and not daily. Also sorry for the ignorance, but I must be missing something, if it's 1.5 mg/kg daily, and someone weighs say 80kg, wouldn't that be 80x1.5 = 120 mg daily?

There is a scaling factor for converting animal to human doses. For rats the scaling factor is somewhere in the 6-8 range. So, you take the rat's daily dose and divide by 6-8 to get the human dose.

superGrover

Might taking dhea as a 29 y/o male stop the natural production of dhea? Or might it be disadvantageous in any other way? Thank you!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Might taking dhea as a 29 y/o male stop the natural production of dhea? Or might it be disadvantageous in any other way? Thank you!

DHEA is not suppressive of edogenous production unless you take too high doses which raises estrogen. Estrogen can suppress endogenous synthesis of pregnenolone/progesterone/DHEA/testosterone. So, I would measure DHEA levels first and if supplementation is warranted then try 5mg daily as a start and see how it affects you.

superGrover

DHEA is not suppressive of edogenous production unless you take too high doses which raises estrogen. Estrogen can suppress endogenous synthesis of pregnenolone/progesterone/DHEA/testosterone. So, I would measure DHEA levels first and if supplementation is warranted then try 5mg daily as a start and see how it affects you.
Thanks for the reply! Hmm, I'll have to find out how to get blood work done then. I don't know how you get that done over here (netherlands).
Or I can order some DHEA and try how I feel. If I take a dose like you say, I should notice an effect whether I need it or don't, right?