Low-dose Allopregnanolone Induces Relief From Depression In Just 24 Hours

Ashoka

Is it clear when an allopregnanolone supplement might become available anywhere?

TeslaFan

Well, that is exactly in line with my experience but dosage was the only issue. When I was taking up to 900mg of androsterone (logged) a day I felt pretty awesome, but when I take lower doses of androsterone in the 10-20mg, I feel worse like almost identical to taking DHEA only.

Maybe because at higher doses the androsterone dumps more into allopreg and DHT while the lower doses of mainly going only DHT route.

Just for sanity check: you were not using IdeaLabs Androsterone for 900 mg per day dose, right? That would be 4 bottles per serving.

satsumass

Forum Supporter
@haidut I think you did math wrong? Oral dosing should be 20-50mg correct?
Which I would assume correlates to similar amount of 5a-DHP?

what is the half life of allo. As well as 5a-DHP?

Sucrates

All successful antidepressants of the SSRI class are capable of stimulating allopregnanolon synthesis in the brain. SSRI drugs devoid of this capability are ineffective as antidepressants and a few of them have already been withdrawn.

@haidut have you any recommended reading on this. I'm already familiar with effects of fluoxetine specifically. I did wonder if it's effects were due to lowering synaptic serotonin or increasing allopregnenolone. The antidepressant effect, where there is some , seems to track quite well chronologically with lowering serotonin...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut have you any recommended reading on this. I'm already familiar with effects of fluoxetine specifically. I did wonder if it's effects were due to lowering synaptic serotonin or increasing allopregnenolone. The antidepressant effect, where there is some , seems to track quite well chronologically with lowering serotonin...

Well, if you just Google "SSRI allopregnanolone" you will get plenty of studies. It is a well-known link and there have been proposals to change the designation of SSRI drugs into something like "selective steroid synthesis enhancers" to reflect their focus on neurosteroids. Also, many of the SSRI are actually selective antagonists on 5-HT2C so that explains some of their effects as well. It is unfortunate that there drugs are systemically serotonergic, they have some good side effects which are the main reason behind their therapeutic effects.
Blockage of 5HT2C serotonin receptors by fluoxetine (Prozac)

Sucrates

Well, if you just Google "SSRI allopregnanolone" you will get plenty of studies. It is a well-known link and there have been proposals to change the designation of SSRI drugs into something like "selective steroid synthesis enhancers" to reflect their focus on neurosteroids. Also, many of the SSRI are actually selective antagonists on 5-HT2C so that explains some of their effects as well. It is unfortunate that there drugs are systemically serotonergic, they have some good side effects which are the main reason behind their therapeutic effects.
Blockage of 5HT2C serotonin receptors by fluoxetine (Prozac)

Thanks.

Nokoni

Diokine

I just heard a major researcher talk on NPR about Alllopregnenolone used to treat Alzheimer's. Threw in some points about defunct glucose metabolism and lipid metabolism in relation to brain energy deficits contributing to Alzheimer's. I was fairly surprised to hear it.

L

lollipop

I just heard a major researcher talk on NPR about Alllopregnenolone used to treat Alzheimer's. Threw in some points about defunct glucose metabolism and lipid metabolism in relation to brain energy deficits contributing to Alzheimer's. I was fairly surprised to hear it.
Very cool. Do you remember the episode @Diokine?

Pulstar

Folks, what can boost Allopregnanolone, besides SSRI? Does regular pregnanolone converts at least partially into Allo? Any other options?

Ashoka

Folks, what can boost Allopregnanolone, besides SSRI? Does regular pregnanolone converts at least partially into Allo? Any other options?

I believe the answer would generally be pregnenolone, progesterone, and 5a-DHP. Some medications other than SSRI do it, like mirtazapine.

Velve921

5a-dhp is the best supplement I’ve ever tried for abolishing uncomfortable thoughts. Especially during these times. Now the number 1 supplement I use at 1mg per day.

golder

5a-dhp is the best supplement I’ve ever tried for abolishing uncomfortable thoughts. Especially during these times. Now the number 1 supplement I use at 1mg per day.
Interesting that 1 oral(?) drop of 5aDHP has such a profound antidepressant effect. I think i remember trying 5mg and not feeling much at all. Frustrating.

Velve921

Interesting that 1 oral(?) drop of 5aDHP has such a profound antidepressant effect. I think i remember trying 5mg and not feeling much at all. Frustrating.
Keep in mind that it has that effect based on the context of my diet and life circumstances, and, how I perceive the changes.

I often find that I try something and initially, I don’t perceive that it’s doing anything. But down the road I try it again and it clicks.

not sure if that helps but let’s just say I’ve been doing this for 7 years I am finding new things everyday still

golder

Keep in mind that it has that effect based on the context of my diet and life circumstances, and, how I perceive the changes.

I often find that I try something and initially, I don’t perceive that it’s doing anything. But down the road I try it again and it clicks.

not sure if that helps but let’s just say I’ve been doing this for 7 years I am finding new things everyday still
Very fair and insightful point. I’ve had a similar experience with other things. I will definitely revisit the 5aDHP further down the line when other parts of the jigsaw have fallen into place.

opethfeldt

I wonder if sublingual pregnenolone would be the best for raising allopreg considering it gets the pregnenolone directly to the brain. I've tried it and it is better for mood than oral preg. Oral preg makes me have random crying spells and actually worsens my mood, even at low doses.

AntiPUFA

High dose oral progesterone which metabolizes into Allopregnanolone makes me feel super euphoric, talkative, dizzy as hell but great for like 1 hour ~

I can say I'm addicted to Progesterone. And every time I need higher doses.