Low Dose Alcohol May Not Be Protective

jaa

This paper suggests poor use of statistics and incorrect causal assumptions lead to the small amount of alcohol is heart healthy belief.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12828/epdf

This squares my personal experience that even one drink in the evening disrupts my sleep and messes with my gut bacteria which can't be good for my heart.

A

Anonymous

The study is meaningless. Alcohol in moderation is only bad if the tissues are highly saturated with PUFA which is probably the case with most of the participants of the study.

OP
J

jaa

So alcohol only affects gut flora and sleep if your tissues have stored PUFAs? How does that work?

pboy

how do you possibly know its effecting your gut flora?

I think ive figured it out, the idea of gut flora itself is actually the parasite, not actually anything having to do with real or non existant gut flora

I don't think people realize how indoctrinated they are when they talk about gut flora. If you cant sense it, if its not in your experience, then you're basically just buying someones theory. And keep in mind, most people sweet ***t under their bed, and into the closet, and will refuse to admit that anything is there or could be part of their problems. They don't want sun shining on their situation so they come up with random ***t to act like theyre a victim rather than a perpetrator or unskillful culprit to their own problems

OP
J

jaa

You're right. I don't know that it affects my gut bacteria just as I don't know anything really. My best guess is that it messes with my gut bacteria even in small doses. I base this on studies that suggest that alcohol affects gut flora and can cause gut dysbiosis and I base it on personal experience. I become gassier and my stools seem much less healthy after I drink small amounts. This effect is more pronounced and longer lasting the more I drink in a single sitting.

pboy

hmm is that beer or liquor?

I definitely would notice beer doing that when I used to drink. Not so much liquor...straight liqur would give that burning a hole in you feeling but beer was more the frothy shits and gas and all that, its probably cause the carbonation, and bitters in the hops promote bile flow which is soapy. I dunno though, I mean it probably does kill some bacteria in the upper GI, but I don't know if that's a significant thing

with alcohol...I think for some people its beneficial but that doesn't mean its good always. Its like...I dunno a good example, a bike is better than walking...but ultimately you need a car, lol...something like that. For peeps that feel really bad all the time for whatever reason it can be anti inflamitory and dilate the heart a little bit, alcohol, but if you're already having good circulation and living a life you like pretty well and not in pain all the time, then drinking is actually a downer. So I think ultimately its not good, correct, but it can help....people in a lot of pain get through to the next day, for whatever that is worth

alcohol is a complex topic because theres quite a huge difference in methods of drinking, and all their constituents and how diluted they are and all that

tara

JRMoney15 said:
Alcohol in moderation is only bad if the tissues are highly saturated with PUFA ....

I expect we'd mostly recover from most small stresses more quickly if we had lower PUFA. But do you have anything more to support this claim other than wishful thinking? My understanding was that other than possibly a small minority of people who might benefit from a tsp of alcohol, it's basically harmful, but a little causes less harm than a lot.

A

Anonymous

tara said:
JRMoney15 said:
Alcohol in moderation is only bad if the tissues are highly saturated with PUFA ....

I expect we'd mostly recover from most small stresses more quickly if we had lower PUFA. But do you have anything more to support this claim other than wishful thinking? My understanding was that other than possibly a small minority of people who might benefit from a tsp of alcohol, it's basically harmful, but a little causes less harm than a lot.

I actually think ray said it. I'm on my phone right now and I don't know where the quote is. Maybe on the Peatarian email exchange page.

pboy

there was a time when id drink sake (2-3 years ago) but not like to get drunk, it was when I was actually under stress and had lost too much weight, like my appetite was always on so I needed something quick that I could get in in any little span I had. Id dilute it with water to 10% alcohol or so, and as long as I ate enough calories throughout the day from sugar and nutrients, it was basically like nothing, just a nice bonus and way to conserve some energy for growth. Like I actually never had problems with it, it was clear sake and I made it isotonic with spring water which I think is a huge thing (lotta calcium with no Pho also), even one cup of wine or beer I wouldn't touch. But also, I could see how it could be bad...I was very meticulous about accounting for its lack of nturients with other food and would make super rich brews to make up the nutrients to calorie ratio...in that sense, and also its sugar depleting sense, it can be bad. If I missed on sugar and just drank too much in a row without switching to fruit juice or coffee with sugar between, id eventually get fiendishly hungry for sweet, I actually could tell by that alone that it was really being protected by sugar, and without that, it then became a big deal (in a bad way). I honestly have to say, alcohol, not beer or wine, but alcohol alone isn't the worst thing. Now a couple years later I never drink, don't need to, have no desire to..i feel more alive now than even when I drank a lot. But it had its role for sure, and there was a ton of things worse than it. In fact...at that time, my gut was extremely sensitive, and most food irritated it, but the clear isotonic sake was one of the few things I could get in and rely on that I knew (so long as I got enough sugar and nutrients) would never hurt me. At times id even drink it over acidic fruit...im thinking back and id basically make strong brews, but gentle...rich rather, lotta various dairy, sugar, coffee, and some fruit..that was mostly my diet for a while, oh and a lot of milk chocolate and some palm oil and occasional other things. I actually recovered my health on that, and I was drinking probably...500-800 calories at least worth of it a day. But then I dropped the chocolate and sake and coffee and basically diet went to a whole nother level after that, but without the first step of recovery, I don't think id have had the fortitude to leap into another level of experimenting. It was nice also because I could drink it basically morning or night...when I normally didn't eat to keep my GI 24 rythmn correct, when it was dark, and it would basically go in and id pee it out or whtever in like an hour, so it..conserved or allowed me to sleep and even build, save energy, and therefore help recover quicker. I don't know if id recommend it to others cause like I said...I was being very careful...with all the variables, aka...making sure it was isotonic...so not harsh or adding excess fluid, and id account for nutrients, and always make sure to glycogen load to an extent before id drink...or go in a back and forth manner. I was working a weird schedule back then too, some days very early, some days late...so it was a very nice versatile variable. If I had to help someone say in a bad health situation or that needed to recover weight or something, id just have them do what I do now and it would be a lot better...so ultimately alcohol, even the best, isn't the best way...but I cant hate on it, it has its role...in many instances that can be beneficial, its just very volatile and can quickly go form good to bad to really bad if you aren't careful...so in that sense I wouldn't trust giving it as a suggestion to anyone but me...cause then id feel bad if they hurt themselves or something

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals