Low-Carb Flu. What The Heck Is That?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think it's the bodies reaction to being starved for carbs. After a bit of time the metabolism shifts to using primarily fat for fuel and breaking down protein via gluconeogenesis to provide necessary sugar. This is just a (simple) former low carb dieters explanation -not a scientific one.

OP
J

j.

I wonder if the liver has very little energy due to carbs deprivation, and is unable to detoxify the endotoxin, that I think maybe we all have some amount all the time. If so, it should be called the liver glucose deprivation flu.

A volunteer could get a prolactin test the day of the flu, and compare it to the prolactin a few days before and after the flu. If it's higher, which reflects higher estrogen, maybe it would indicate lower liver function.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
j. said:
I wonder if the liver has very little energy due to carbs deprivation, and is unable to detoxify the endotoxin, that I think maybe we all have some amount all the time. If so, it should be called the liver glucose deprivation flu.

A volunteer could get a prolactin test the day of the flu, and compare it to the prolactin a few days before and after the flu. If it's higher, which reflects higher estrogen, maybe it would indicate lower liver function.
I bet the the liver is both starved and burdened. I would suspect one would have excess tryptophan in the circulation from the breakdown of protein (dietary or the bodies own tissue) which would increase serotonin. Other toxins would be created as well. :roll:

tara

Hi, I've never done any low carb dieting. But I've read a few comments about it. I thought it was 'carb flu' the low carb crew talked about - ie a reaction to eating carbs after restricting them severely?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
tara said:
Hi, I've never done any low carb dieting. But I've read a few comments about it. I thought it was 'carb flu' the low carb crew talked about - ie a reaction to eating carbs after restricting them severely?
There's probably one of those too! Gee Tara I think I've had both of those now that you mention it. Oh Lucky me! This one I think is when the body is being starved for adequate carbs and the poor soul eating 'low carb' ends up with toxins circulating in the bloodstream. I'm sure it includes things like ammonia and just general byproducts of burning fat for fuel and breaking down protein for gluconeogenesis. I'm certain it's way more involved than my simple explanation and probably would require a scientist to do a thorough job explaining! Anyone?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals