Low carb diets shrink the brain and causes brain inflammation

Hans

Forum Supporter
"In the eating disorder anorexia nervosa (AN), patients suffer from undernutrition and develop volume reductions of the cerebral cortex, associated with reduced astrocyte proliferation and cell count."

"Long-term glucose starvation increased the expression of a subset of pro-inflammatory genes and shifted the primary astrocyte population to the pro-inflammatory A1-like phenotype. Moreover, genes encoding for proteins involved in the unfolded protein response were elevated. Our findings demonstrate that astrocytes under chronic glucose starvation respond with an inflammatory reaction."

And low brain glucose and neuroinflammation are linked to almost all kinds of mental conditions.
This Friday's article will be about exactly that topic.

Tansia

"In the eating disorder anorexia nervosa (AN), patients suffer from undernutrition and develop volume reductions of the cerebral cortex, associated with reduced astrocyte proliferation and cell count."

"Long-term glucose starvation increased the expression of a subset of pro-inflammatory genes and shifted the primary astrocyte population to the pro-inflammatory A1-like phenotype. Moreover, genes encoding for proteins involved in the unfolded protein response were elevated. Our findings demonstrate that astrocytes under chronic glucose starvation respond with an inflammatory reaction."

And low brain glucose and neuroinflammation are linked to almost all kinds of mental conditions.
This Friday's article will be about exactly that topic.
Can't wait for the post, thank you @Hans

Jon2547

The study you referenced says nothing about low carb diet.

A brain being starved from glucose could possibly result from insulin resistance from cell phone use? Even though the patient is consuming carbs, little glucose is making its way into the brain cells because of IR? In that case, would not supplementation with MCT oil rescue the brain cells?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
The study you referenced says nothing about low carb diet.

A brain being starved from glucose could possibly result from insulin resistance from cell phone use? Even though the patient is consuming carbs, little glucose is making its way into the brain cells because of IR? In that case, would not supplementation with MCT oil rescue the brain cells?
Undereating usually goes hand in hand with low carb intake. Low brain glucose can be a result of various things yes, and giving MCT oil or ketones, etc., can rescue the energy demand, but it cannot fully compensate for the reduced glucose. The brain does require a certain amount. The body can make its own glucose on a low-carb diet, but cortisol (the driver of gluconeogenesis) has potent anti-metabolic effects in the brain.

Jon2547

What is the best way to make sure that the brain cells get optimal glucose?

Jon2547

For what it's worth:
1. I am moderately electro-sensitive
2. Using chromium picolinate helps tremendously in my brain's ability to uptake glucose. Without it there is noticeable foggy thinking.

Jon2547

I've become less sensitive but will probably never go away completely.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What is the best way to make sure that the brain cells get optimal glucose?
Thyroid plays a big role in this. But I'll dive into that in the article.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Can the condition be reversed?
Probably by restoring thyroid, micronutrient deficiencies and optimizing glucose intake ofc. Other neurological agents, such as methylene blue, can also be very helpful in the healing process.

Jon2547

I've never tried MB but I am very curious and will probably getting some soon. Do you have recommended place to order and any suggestions on how to take it?

baccheion

Would meeting the carb RDA be enough to prevent this issue for someone fairly sedentary? I'd imagine there'd be a problem mainly in the presence of inflammation, as such is associated with reduced glycogen synthase.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've never tried MB but I am very curious and will probably getting some soon. Do you have recommended place to order and any suggestions on how to take it?
MB is potent anti-inflammatory and will help against neuroinflammation. It's also very effective at enhancing the electron transport chain, ATP and CO2 production.
I'm currently using 15-20mg in the mornings orally. You can start smaller ofc, at around 400mcg or 1mg.
IdealabsDC and Healthnatura sell good quality MB.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Would meeting the carb RDA be enough to prevent this issue for someone fairly sedentary? I'd imagine there'd be a problem mainly in the presence of inflammation, as such is associated with reduced glycogen synthase.
What's the RDA for carbs?
I'd say 200g is a good minimum to shoot for. The brain uses about 120-150g of glucose per day and if someone has inflammation or some kind of metabolic hiccup, their glucose will be wasted faster.
So the main goal is to stop or fix anything that is messing with proper glucose oxidation (cortisol, endotoxin, EMF, excess iron and heavy metals, nutrient deficiencies, etc.) while providing adequate glucose.

baccheion

What's the RDA for carbs?
I'd say 200g is a good minimum to shoot for. The brain uses about 120-150g of glucose per day and if someone has inflammation or some kind of metabolic hiccup, their glucose will be wasted faster.
So the main goal is to stop or fix anything that is messing with proper glucose oxidation (cortisol, endotoxin, EMF, excess iron and heavy metals, nutrient deficiencies, etc.) while providing adequate glucose.
130 grams at 70 kg. In Europe, it's 250 grams.

TomS

@Hans
I have just read Broda Barnes' book. In part 15 I found low carbohydrate menu.
I think I have candida overproduction and cannot decide between high carb or low carb.
For acetylaldehyde problem I found, Vit B2, B6, manganese, molibdene offered.
I eat bio Kokosöl daily.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans
I have just read Broda Barnes' book. In part 15 I found low carbohydrate menu.
I think I have candida overproduction and cannot decide between high carb or low carb.
For acetylaldehyde problem I found, Vit B2, B6, manganese, molibdene offered.
I eat bio Kokosöl daily.
Below 120g and thyroid hormones conversion drops off. Cortisol is higher even when eating 140g carbs vs 350g. It's like Dr Lonsdale recommending a low carb diet because refined carbs lower B1. But that's not the right approach imo.

Try lots of raw honey for candida as it's very effective against that.

TomS

Below 120g and thyroid hormones conversion drops off. Cortisol is higher even when eating 140g carbs vs 350g. It's like Dr Lonsdale recommending a low carb diet because refined carbs lower B1. But that's not the right approach imo.

Try lots of raw honey for candida as it's very effective against that.
So do you offer high carb? I eat about 2200 kcal according to Cronometer.
I drink milk 1,5%, and orange juice (ready made, as orange is a nightmare from supermarkets)
In Germany I do not know where can I buy raw honey. There is forest wild honey, or honey from Turkey or Southern America, I usually buy wild honey. I take Vitamin B komplex + Minerals (together in capsules), Aspirin **** (acetlysalycilsäure), coffein pulver, Vit K2 MK7 (MK4/7 arrives in 1-2 days, I could buy 100 pcs capsules at 11 Euro) , liquid D3, calcium, .I put into 1,5 lit CO2 mineral water 2 tablespoon borax powder + magnesumhydroxid pulver, then I drink it all day. Borax is very fine, it cleans from inside to outside. I have 50 mg Swanson pregnenolone, I used it 2*20-25 mg/day. I can not get any kind of thyroid supplement, Haidut's thyroid products are too expensive (together with delivery cost).

J

James IV

Hogwash. It’s well documented that both Homo Saipan and Homo Neanderthalensis had larger brains than modern humans eating essentially hyper-carnivorous diets.

Equating anorexia to a low carbohydrate diet is an irresponsible statement. Gluconeogenesis does not have “anti-metabolic” effects in the brain, but rather a restructuring of metabolic pathways.