Low carb dieters look so much older

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
Everyone does some things for money, so what's your point? You pay someone money if he provides value, that's the way the world works.
Danny Roddy, Haidut, Shawn Baker all do some things for money. Whether through consulting or supplements.
BCAAs are also supported on this forum, by the way.
That guy is supremely unlikeable, and the people you mentioned I believe have higher integrity than Layne. Did any of those folks release an overpriced / overhyped supplement that is now marked down? His profit seeking has been criticized by many (see Lyle McDonald). Also, he cheated on his wife. If that doesn't tell you this guy isn't a good person idk what will. But follow who you like.

Also, he is not natural no matter what you think. 1000 ng/dl naturally? LOL right...

OccamzRazer

If you think about it, the whole low carb/keto/carnivore vs vegan paradigm is so misleading.

As Dr. Peat has said, both animal products and fruits should be the basis of the diet, since they contain the most nutrients and fewest antinutrients.

nomoreketones

If you think about it, the whole low carb/keto/carnivore vs vegan paradigm is so misleading.

As Dr. Peat has said, both animal products and fruits should be the basis of the diet, since they contain the most nutrients and fewest antinutrients.

Food for thought:
What if some people are genetically meant to eat a vegan diet and are completely adapted to handle antinutrients but can't handle saturated fat at all?

What if some people are genetically meant to eat a meat/berries diet but cannot handle vegetables or grains?

Ronald1919

Check this out. Layne Norton. 39 years old. Phd in Nutritional Sciences. Award-winning in bodybuilding / powerlifting contests. He is a big promoter and CICO, and flexible dieting. Condemns both vegans and carnivores. Claims that red meat, in moderation in healthy. Believes in the LDL - heart disease hypothesis.
Promotes high carb & high protein diets generally.
The lighting does him good in the video, but I'd say he looks good for a 39-year old man. Muscular physique, androgenic facial features (he naturally has high T levels), some recession on the hairline, but other than that, he is in quite good shape.
Also he likely never took steroids.

I remember he did a podcast debate with Shawn Baker on Mark Bell podcast. Everyone in the comments mentioning how he was drinking a Monster energy drink and how they can't take him seriously because of that.

View attachment 23278

The guy is such a scum not to mention a notorious fake Natty

baccheion

Food for thought:
What if some people are genetically meant to eat a vegan diet and are completely adapted to handle antinutrients but can't handle saturated fat at all?

What if some people are genetically meant to eat a meat/berries diet but cannot handle vegetables or grains?
Genetic testing and interpreter sites exist. Speculation isn't really required.

Austin Resch

Food for thought:

When you mention "people are genetically meant to eat vegan/meat", what exact genetic variables are you referring to?

Looking back evolutionarily, there have been no groups of humans that have ever lived on exclusively plant foods, what genetic changes do you believe have occured from our common ancestors that would enable modern humans to survive, or thrive, on vegan diet?

GreekDemiGod

I did not think of that until now. Though he seems like an honest guy. He always sounds very science-inclined.

But looking over pictures of him at his peak, I don't know what to say.
wVskdR5.jpg

nomoreketones

When you mention "people are genetically meant to eat vegan/meat", what exact genetic variables are you referring to?
Some people have the ability the convert beta carotene into Vitamin A very efficiently and some people don't. People who can make this conversion efficiently don't need Vitamin A from animal products. People who can't make this conversion absolutely need to eat animal products. I'm generalizing this idea and I'm speculating that there may be some humans that can deal with all the deficiencies in a vegan diet for a wide variety of nutrients through good genetics. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt the actual science on this topic has been completely settled yet.

There is even speculation that some humans may have small intestine bacteria high enough up where B12 produced by the bacteria can actually be absorbed in the human body.

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
Agreed, hate that prick. That debate with Shawn Baker turned off so many people even though his message was correct, because he's an arrogant jerk.

OP
BestSinceDAYONE
I did not think of that until now. Though he seems like an honest guy. He always sounds very science-inclined.

But looking over pictures of him at his peak, I don't know what to say.
wVskdR5.jpg
uhh....yeah I dont think I need to make a case here.

baccheion

Looking back evolutionarily, there have been no groups of humans that have ever lived on exclusively plant foods, what genetic changes do you believe have occured from our common ancestors that would enable modern humans to survive, or thrive, on vegan diet?
Humans have already moved from folivore + frugivore, the pattern among gorillas. Chimps are between and are carnivore + frugivore. Humans moved to carnivore + starchivore, with some more carnivore and others more like chimps.

Higher copies of amylase bias toward starches. Lower copies (similar to chimps and gorillas) bias toward fruits and/or fats.

BCMO1 more active = better beta-carotene to active vitamin A.

Some have the genes that more efficiently convert PUFAs downstream to DHA, AA, etc.

ApoE 2 may be more biased to high fat and apoE 4 toward carbs. Some say the reverse is true.

Etc..

Austin Resch

Humans have already moved from folivore + frugivore, the pattern among gorillas. Chimps are between and are carnivore + frugivore. Humans moved to carnivore + starchivore, with some more carnivore and others more like chimps.

Higher copies of amylase bias toward starches. Lower copies (similar to chimps and gorillas) bias toward fruits and/or fats.

BCMO1 more active = better beta-carotene to active vitamin A.

Some have the genes that more efficiently convert PUFAs downstream to DHA, AA, etc.

ApoE 2 may be more biased to high fat and apoE 4 toward carbs. Some say the reverse is true.

Etc..
Assuming this "better"conversion of beta carotene to A is 1:1 (I wonder what it realistically is in most people with this "better"conversion), wouldn't it still be a concern that plant centric foods high in beta carotene (and other plant foods in general) are still void of appreciable amounts of other bioavailable vitamins/nutrients (vit K2, non-oxidized cholesterol, creatine, choline, carnosine, D3, DHA, taurine, glycine, etc.)?

Sefton10

This and then dairy are probably the main consideration most people need to make to get the biggest bang for their buck.

baccheion

Assuming this "better"conversion of beta carotene to A is 1:1 (I wonder what it realistically is in most people with this "better"conversion), wouldn't it still be a concern that plant centric foods high in beta carotene (and other plant foods in general) are still void of appreciable amounts of other bioavailable vitamins/nutrients (vit K2, non-oxidized cholesterol, creatine, choline, carnosine, D3, DHA, taurine, glycine, etc.)?
Also based on genes. The body can convert K1 to K2, with MK-7 coming from large intestine fermentation and MK-4 from UBIAD or something.

The body can make all you've listed, though perhaps efficiency fades with age. Cholesterol would need fructose, saturated fats, carbs, etc.

DHA would be based on efficiency of conversion from ALA. There's also shellfish or fish roe.

Choline can be made by the body. It may also be present in plant sources. IIRC, potatoes have some? Many things in all likelihood.

I am not advocating for any vegan diet. Heh. On the other hand, I am saying genes give a better guide than some random dogma..

mgrabs

Ben Greenfield is low carb. He does around 100-150 grams of carbs. Mostly after a workout or before bed.
Low carb during the day.
Once every week he does a high card refeed on the weeekend.
Followed by a fast the next day til dinner.

I personally think Ben looks great

Attachments

• 3FC953E6-AC17-4AE4-8230-DEADBE5E4E51.jpeg
    3FC953E6-AC17-4AE4-8230-DEADBE5E4E51.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 20
  • AB93A7BC-3946-4D89-9873-47B1ADC971D4.jpeg
    AB93A7BC-3946-4D89-9873-47B1ADC971D4.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 20
Is it me or do the low carb gurus look significantly older?

Peter Attia, Joe Rogan, Mark Sisson, Gary Taubes, Shawn Baker

They all have one thing in common, their faces (and hairlines) look so much worse but they have shredded physiques.
All that tryptophan from meat is a big reason their skin looks aged, and the low carbers, I know, are continually struggling with their weight.

mgrabs

All that tryptophan from meat is a big reason their skin looks aged, and the low carbers, I know, are continually struggling with their weight.
I think it can be managed by a certain amount of carb intake. Myself, when i was lower carb (still ate carbs) i looked way younger

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom