Low body temperature + death in the Bible (1 Kings 1:1)

1 Kings 1:1
[1] Now king David was old and stricken in years; and they covered him with clothes, but he gat no heat.

Peatful

I saw this one a few years ago:

“I have given you seed baring plants and all the fruit trees for your food. And I have given all the grasses and other green plants to the animals and birds for their food.”
Genesis 1

And I never drank wheatgrass again.

Perry Staltic

I saw this one a few years ago:

“I have given you seed baring plants and all the fruit trees for your food. And I have given all the grasses and other green plants to the animals and birds for their food.”
Genesis 1

And I never drank wheatgrass again.

That was for man in perfect, not corrupted, condition. Different instructions were given later after the rebellion.

Peatful

That was for man in perfect, not corrupted, condition. Different instructions were given later after the rebellion.
So He fed “us” manna (a potato or banana like thingee) to help us out.
But where does he want us to eat salads and grasses and such?
Plus - I want to return to “the Garden state”. I love NJ but my eyes are on something bigger.

Perry Staltic

So He fed “us” manna (a potato or banana like thingee) to help us out.
Plus - I want to return to “the Garden state”. I love NJ but my eyes are on something bigger.

They were eating meat and vegetables after being kicked out of the garden because Abel raised livestock and Cain was a farmer. The next divine instructions that I can remember were given to Noah after the flood. Looks like they could eat pretty much anything they wanted..

Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

If you want to return to the state of perfection, it's not about food.

For God's kingdom does not consist of food and drink, but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the holy spirit. Romans 14:17

But once that comes it looks like it will be back to fruit again. A friend of mine used to think the leaves are pot.:):

Then the angel showed me a river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. Revelation 22:!

Peatful

They were eating meat and vegetables after being kicked out of the garden because Abel raised livestock and Cain was a farmer. The next divine instructions that I can remember were given to Noah after the flood. Looks like they could eat pretty much anything they wanted..

If you want to return to the state of perfection, it's not about food.

But once that comes it looks like it will be back to fruit again. A friend of mine used to think the leaves are pot.:):
while here on earth I will try to follow His instructions for a perfect Adam. Like literally only two chapters out of just one book in the entire instruction manual.
and by His Grace ill meet you in Heaven for a truly perfect feast- maybe cannabis included.

Perry Staltic

while here on earth I will try to follow His instructions for a perfect Adam. Like literally only two chapters out of just one book in the entire instruction manual.
and by His Grace ill meet you in Heaven for a truly perfect feast- maybe cannabis included.

Yeah we could go around together handing out free pot to the nations. That would be cool.

OP
Twohandsondeck
Romans 14:1-3
[1] Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
[2] For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
[3] Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

1 Timothy 4:1-5
[1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
[2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
[3] Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
[4] For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
[5] For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Screenshot_20201125-175328.png

Eat only honey and milk and tell me you aren't feeling the greatest you have ever felt.
It's true

I wonder if anyone has ever tried John the Baptist's diet of honey & locusts

Matthew 3:4
[4] And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.

Peatful

[2] For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
[3] Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

[1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
[3] Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
[4] For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

View attachment 21664

It's true

[4] And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
Thx especially for the 1 Timothy.

Jon2547

View attachment 21664

It's true

I've been thinking about just that lately. I know that John the Baptist ate honey and locusts, so honey can't be all that bad. (I've been low carb for 3 years and tip toeing back into carbs).

tankasnowgod

View attachment 21664

It's true

Not the real Klaus Schwab twitter account. But I do like how he looks like a discount Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon in that picture.

CreakyJoints

Jon2547

CreakyJoints

Are you a bible hater?

Not at all, I am fascinated by it. I prefer the KJV, not sure I buy into the theories about Shakespeare's involvement, but I think there is a nice shout out to him in that version of Psalms. I'm especially interested in the apocryphal gospels, I've read a lot around the Dead Sea Scrolls too.

OP
Twohandsondeck
I've been thinking about just that lately. I know that John the Baptist ate honey and locusts, so honey can't be all that bad. (I've been low carb for 3 years and tip toeing back into
As far as I can tell, I've been having success recently by adding/tasting raw honey to white rice, black beans, or milk. I use less than a tablespoon each time and it's just an attempt at priming the pancreas to secrete more amylase on account of the honey...

Anyhow, I think it helps the carb digestion, but it might just as well be placebo lol

Not the real Klaus Schwab twitter account. But I do like how he looks like a discount Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon in that picture.
Oh. I guess that's kind of good news if true. I'll take your word for it.
Keen to hear what everyone in this thread thinks of all the bits in Leviticus where if you become sick, (in these passages with skin conditions) you must always see a priest, then be isolated for weeks at a time? Also, if the priest thinks you're unclean, you have to wear rags and shout "Unclean!" for the rest of your days so people know to stay away from you.
Throughout Leviticus 13, there's a constant repetition of meeting with the priest to see about whether a person suffering leprosy or inflammation of the skin is healing (pronounced "clean") or not (still considered "unclean").

There isn't a verse that indicates that this is a life sentence... Only that a person who suffers from the sickness is to remain separated from the camp "all the days wherein the plague shall be in him" because so long as he is unclean, he is defiled. A little bit of leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Leviticus 13:45-46
[45] And the leper in whom the plague is, his clothes shall be rent, and his head bare, and he shall put a covering upon his upper lip, and shall cry, Unclean, unclean.
[46] All the days wherein the plague shall be in him he shall be defiled; he is unclean: he shall dwell alone; without the camp shall his habitation be.

I see the mention of proclaiming that they are unclean as a type of humility towards God. In their cries, that person is recognizing their affliction and subjecting themselves to God that they may be healed. Holding silence or murmuring about the matter would - as far as I could guess - be an act of pride and therefore not be favorable in the eyes of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 5:5-6
[5] To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
[6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Also something to consider is the story of Legion found in Mark 5 and Luke 8... It is an unclean man who lives away from society and suffers much inflammation:

Mark 5:5-9
[5] And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.
[6] But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,
[7] And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
[8] For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
[9] And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

I'm having quite a time trying to ascertain the relation of the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ to the sayings of these verses:

Leviticus 5:6-10
[6] And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD for his sin which he hath sinned, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his sin.
[7] And if he be not able to bring a lamb, then he shall bring for his trespass, which he hath committed, two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, unto the LORD; one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering.
[8] And he shall bring them unto the priest, who shall offer that which is for the sin offering first, and wring off his head from his neck, but shall not divide it asunder:
[9] And he shall sprinkle of the blood of the sin offering upon the side of the altar; and the rest of the blood shall be wrung out at the bottom of the altar: it is a sin offering.
[10] And he shall offer the second for a burnt offering, according to the manner: and the priest shall make an atonement for him for his sin which he hath sinned, and it shall be forgiven him.

*He was given to be the head of the church.
*His blood is an atonement for all sin; past, present, and future.
*He is also our High Priest, giving Him the right to make the atonement for the sins of all those who ask of Him.

@CreakyJoints thanks for the unique inquisition! Cool stuff :):

CreakyJoints

I only brought it up in the first place because it's almost the kind of thing Ray Peat talks about, and many people on here have an issue with. They sound a bit familiar when you think about it: forcibly seeing a priest to determine your health and social status? Offerings of tribute must go through a priest and half of each tribute must be kept by them? The priest is the only one able to make a diagnosis? The priest is the only one who can supply a cure? Those deemed unclean are isolated until the priest says so? Funny, all that. Almost seems like the sort of thing one* should have a problem with - maybe the sort of thing it would be helpful to rail against in a different testament...? Now that would be an astute move if you were trying to start a religion. Should Jesus be curing leprosy, or should he rather be forking over his goats to the priest so they can deem the person clean again? Is this a way of saying those old rules are dumb? Perhaps these stories themselves a metaphor for Jesus being some kind of super-priest? Perhaps it's both! Delightful ambiguity, it probably won't drastically affect how people live their lives a few hundred years down the line...

You're quite right, after the priest pronounces them clean, they may have a hair-cut and stop yelling; but I think "unclean spirit" is distinct from "unclean" in the passage about skin diseases - too much of a reinterpretation for my taste, and I think 'inflammation' is also a stretch - probably consulting a Vulgate Bible and tracking translations would make it more obvious, but I'm not particularly interested in going into too much of the minutiae. If you're able to reconcile these for yourself, who am I to judge?

I think the biggest challenge of organised religion is meaningful and critical interpretation of the scripture and doctrine in a way which is helpful to people and doesn't end up in just authoritarian dogma. I interviewed a number of very prominent theologians for part of my thesis, which was concerned with ritualistic music - one in particular said something very striking to me, it was something along the lines that a good practitioner of any religion is able to discern which parts are intended to be historical document, which are meant to provide context, which are instructional, which are folkloric/fable. He was a really intelligent individual and very certain of his faith, but surprisingly would happily admit that the decisions made by the Nicene Council were arbitrary and sometimes political; for better or worse, the very basis of The Bible is, in a sense, propaganda. For the record, I think Christianity has some very convenient excuses to completely ditch Leviticus if it wants to, or use it exclusively as context (I think lots of forward thinking theologians do this) but some denominations and people are very wedded to the idea of the Bible being the literal word of God. I think it's very important that people be aware of these things and I'm encouraged to see someone on this forum apparently making the effort.

*edited from "you", for clarity and not to sound accusatory

Last edited:

LucyL

Keen to hear what everyone in this thread thinks of all the bits in Leviticus where if you become sick, (in these passages with skin conditions) you must always see a priest, then be isolated for weeks at a time? Also, if the priest thinks you're unclean, you have to wear rags and shout "Unclean!" for the rest of your days so people know to stay away from you.

Also, did you know the correct exchange rate between goats and doves?
In many cultures, the religious and the medical were one and the same. Is Jesus not our Great Physician? I think a lot of our suffering at the hands of Big Pharma is because Christians threw that ideal out. Separation of church and science totally warped our view of the coherent wholeness of God's creation.

Leprosy was a terrible ailment, there was no cure outside of Divine Intervention, and it is and was known to be, contagious. Quarantining the sick is how society has dealt with disease for millenia, I think one could argue that continuing to live near the community, even while having to shout "unclean", might be a better prospect than being banished to a colony on an island far away from everyone and everything.