Low Blood Sugar Feeling

Jing

What would cause feeling low blood sugar but feeling full and not having an appetite? Surely with this feeling I should feel hungry?

Maljam

Getting a cheap glucometer can help you monitor your blood sugar and help work out what's going on. What is your diet like?

If you eat low fat, sometimes the blood sugar can rise high and then drop quickly, but still being within normal levels. The sudden drop can cause symptoms similar to being low blood sugar, but it isn't actually low. In this scenario eating more fat allows the blood sugar to rise and fall more slowly and comfortably.

It could also be a stress reaction to something you have eaten your body disagrees with.

Recoen

Getting a cheap glucometer can help you monitor your blood sugar and help work out what's going on. What is your diet like?

If you eat low fat, sometimes the blood sugar can rise high and then drop quickly, but still being within normal levels. The sudden drop can cause symptoms similar to being low blood sugar, but it isn't actually low. In this scenario eating more fat allows the blood sugar to rise and fall more slowly and comfortably.

It could also be a stress reaction to something you have eaten your body disagrees with.
From reading some posts on here, I think many are more having swings vs truly low blood sugar. A true low, like in the 30s feels like your brain is starved for oxygen and glucose. You start sweating and shaking and you literally must eat sugar right away. That’s the only thought your brain can hold on to. Low blood sugar on the way to that point is more like slower cognitive speeds, word finding issues, etc. Feeling tired/ going to sleep a while after eating is more consistent with swinging.

Maljam

From reading some posts on here, I think many are more having swings vs truly low blood sugar. A true low, like in the 30s feels like your brain is starved for oxygen and glucose. You start sweating and shaking and you literally must eat sugar right away. That’s the only thought your brain can hold on to. Low blood sugar on the way to that point is more like slower cognitive speeds, word finding issues, etc. Feeling tired/ going to sleep a while after eating is more consistent with swinging.

Yes definitely. I had "low blood sugar" for several very uncomfortable weeks, feeling similar to the ones you described above, that more sugar and food didn't help. When I purchased a glucometer and every reading was within acceptable range I had to rethink what was going on. Adding more fat to lower the drop is what fixed this for me.

Recoen

Yes definitely. I had "low blood sugar" for several very uncomfortable weeks, feeling similar to the ones you described above, that more sugar and food didn't help. When I purchased a glucometer and every reading was within acceptable range I had to rethink what was going on. Adding more fat to lower the drop is what fixed this for me.
I’m finding added fat to be protective against having a true low too.

Maljam

I'll try more fat

I think that will help, but glucometers are helpful too though, I got mine for about £15 off Amazon. If you are having true low blood sugar it would be useful to know.