Low Androgen Symptoms - Tests Ok - Time To Rethink

Spartan300

Due to experiencing low androgen symptoms for around 5 years (poor libido, sleep, mood, exercise performance & recovery & declining body composition) I have pursued things to raise them & lower estrogen for 4 years. ()

This has included diet following Peat principals and pretty much all of the supplements discussed here on the forums including vitamins, minerals, hormones & thyroid in low doses.

Nothing has made a discernible difference. Plus two previous sets of blood tests have shown that T, DHT, DHEA are all upper level of the ranges.

Am Cortisol has tested above range but not tested any other time of the day. E2 not tested.

The only things that have tested close to or out of range are:

• Plasma glucose level 6.4 mmol/L [3.0 - 6.0] (Above high reference limit)
  • Serum cortisol level 449 nmol/L
    The cortisol assay has changed to improve traceability
    to the gold standard and the results are 20-25% lower
    than the previous reported. The cut off for a short
    synacthen test is 420 nmol/L and for 9am cortisol,
    level of > 350 nmol/L makes adrenal insufficiency
    unlikely.
  • Serum creatinine level 102 umol/L [59.0 - 104.0]
As part of enhancing androgens I have tried to lower cortisol but I'm wondering whether the other two (fasting glucose & creatinine) are what I should have been focussing on?
If so how & could these manifest as the issues I'm seeing? Thanks

GutFeeling

Lowering cortisol tends to reduce fasting glucose.

Seems that you need some dopamine, Wich helps alot with glucose and all the symptoms you described suffering. Are you usually anxious?

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Yes, somewhat my whole life & the last few years have been increasingly stressful but slowly improving again now.

For someone with high androgens I do not display the associated traits such as thick beard/frame/muscle....

You might be onto something as Mucuna Pruriens is one thing that has seemed to help a little.

Broken earpod

All the problems you described are better for me after getting lots of omega 3. Digestive issues and sleep almost instantly were fixed. Not peaty but for me quality of life is so much better.

Broken earpod

Fish. Salmon, herring, tuna. Between 100-400g Didn’t take more than few days for digestion and sleep to be fixed.

scoobydoo

Possibly hyperinsulinemia. I'm starting to realize that every time I add carbs back in more i feel really good for a couple weeks, then it seems to all go downhill. After tracking insulin, thats the one marker that seems to change drastically for me. (3 to 12)

Vins7

The same thing happens to me, the androgen levels are good but low androgen symptoms like you...

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

@Broken earpod
Fish. Salmon, herring, tuna. Between 100-400g Didn’t take more than few days for digestion and sleep to be fixed.
I had some short lived success late 2016 when I was eating more fish, mainly cod. Did you come to any conclusion how you became deficient?

@scoobydoo
Possibly hyperinsulinemia. I'm starting to realize that every time I add carbs back in more i feel really good for a couple weeks, then it seems to all go downhill. After tracking insulin, thats the one marker that seems to change drastically for me. (3 to 12)
This isn't something I've considered. A quick search around here and elsewhere is as usual conflicting in the reasons why it occurs. One discussion noted that the often promoted constant grazing to maintain blood sugar means that there's always insulin in the blood which can lead to insensitivity. I've sometimes noted that I feel better when I don't eat between meals & allow myself to get properly hungry. I think I'll do more of that and see how it goes.

Broken earpod

Eating low PUFA for long time, don’t think I would be deficient though. Ate fish slept good, ate more fish and digestion is good again, still sleep well.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Interesting to hear from someone else for whom fish has made a difference. Sleep is the key thing for me - if I can sleep properly then everything else seems to fall into place.

I'm going to increase fish consumption again but continue to avoid the seed oils etc.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Hi @Broken earpod , thanks for checking in. I ate quite a lot of fish including mackerel last week but didn't notice any real difference unfortunately. Prior to the original post I had stopped using the little bit of thyroid I had been using for a couple of weeks and only made the association the day before yesterday.

I restarted and immediately sleep and libido to some extent but most of all my mood improved. I think I need to get to my GP to discuss....

gaze

What forms of carbs do you eat. Have you checked vitamin D and calcium levels?

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Mostly white rice & potatoes. Some cereal, honey flapjack kind of thing.

Last test, serum Ca mid-range, vitamin D3 - 85.3 nmol/L

Frankdee20

I eat fish all the time, I think omega 3 supplements aren’t good, they give me insomnia and anxiety but not fish

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

@not_James_Bond Spooky - I haven't but ordered some Sunday. haidut recommended MB (oxidal) for sleep a while back. Better sleep & less anxiety would be a big help.

@Frankdee20 I agree, I was definitely doing better when I ate more fish but supplements don't seem to be as effective.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals