Low Ambient Humidity Impairs Barrier Function And Innate Resistance Against Influenza Infection

David PS

Low ambient humidity impairs barrier function and innate resistance against influenza infection

Atmospheric moisture as an important weather-related factor in flu transmission. Indoor humidity may be especially relevant this winter. The mainstream media (MSM) does not seem to be interested in reporting on things that are not endorsed by the CDC. Everyone must be waiting for a double blinded placebo controlled study.

The key seems to be humidity levels indoors, where people gather (and cough) during cold weather. Because it takes less moisture to saturate cold air than warm air, there can easily be high relative humidity (RH) outdoors on a bitterly cold day. However, once that air is heated to room temperature, the RH plummets.

Laboratory and epidemiological studies strongly suggest that the flu is transmitted more readily when the RH is low. At higher RH, the virus appears to be less stable, and the small virus-bearing droplets sent into the air by a cough seem more likely to attract water vapor and fall out of the air before infecting someone else. There’s also evidence that the flu grows more readily in a dry upper respiratory tract.

It seems the sweet-spot is between 40% and 60% RH. Above 60% your more likely to provide an environment that grows mold.

I live in an area where it gets very cold outside and very dry inside during the winter months. My approach this winter is to monitor my indoor RH and try to keep it in the sweet-spot. To do this I purchased a Digital Hygrometer. Here is a link to the one I selected from Amazon. I check my gadget everyday and my indoor RH is still within the 40-60% range. When the freezing cold winter weather finally arrives and my indoor RH drops, I will use a humidifier. I choose Homech Cool Mist Humidifier. Yet another gadget. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085CD13TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

B

Braveheart

Low ambient humidity impairs barrier function and innate resistance against influenza infection

Atmospheric moisture as an important weather-related factor in flu transmission. Indoor humidity may be especially relevant this winter. The mainstream media (MSM) does not seem to be interested in reporting on things that are not endorsed by the CDC. Everyone must be waiting for a double blinded placebo controlled study.

The key seems to be humidity levels indoors, where people gather (and cough) during cold weather. Because it takes less moisture to saturate cold air than warm air, there can easily be high relative humidity (RH) outdoors on a bitterly cold day. However, once that air is heated to room temperature, the RH plummets.

Laboratory and epidemiological studies strongly suggest that the flu is transmitted more readily when the RH is low. At higher RH, the virus appears to be less stable, and the small virus-bearing droplets sent into the air by a cough seem more likely to attract water vapor and fall out of the air before infecting someone else. There’s also evidence that the flu grows more readily in a dry upper respiratory tract.

It seems the sweet-spot is between 40% and 60% RH. Above 60% your more likely to provide an environment that grows mold.

I live in an area where it gets very cold outside and very dry inside during the winter months. My approach this winter is to monitor my indoor RH and try to keep it in the sweet-spot. To do this I purchased a Digital Hygrometer. Here is a link to the one I selected from Amazon. I check my gadget everyday and my indoor RH is still within the 40-60% range. When the freezing cold winter weather finally arrives and my indoor RH drops, I will use a humidifier. I choose Homech Cool Mist Humidifier. Yet another gadget. Amazon product ASIN B085CD13TLView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085CD13TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
:darts:

Birdie

I live in an area where it gets very cold outside and very dry inside during the winter months. My approach this winter is to monitor my indoor RH and try to keep it in the sweet-spot. To do this I purchased a Digital Hygrometer. Here is a link to the one I selected from Amazon. I check my gadget everyday and my indoor RH is still within the 40-60% range. When the freezing cold winter weather finally arrives and my indoor RH drops, I will use a humidifier. I choose Homech Cool Mist Humidifier. Yet another gadget. Amazon product ASIN B085CD13TLView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085CD13TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have that hydgrometer. Two of them. My humidifier is too small for a whole house. And it's a job to keep it clean, mold free. So, for several years the thing has sat in a closet. I became concerned about low humidity last summer with the a/c going. I made use of it, at bedtime, when we lived in a cold winter climate though. But in my case I'll just be aware.

Dry air is more concerning when somebody comes into the house to repair something. And my concern hit a high level when a vaxxed housecleaner came in a few times. Glad to be reminded of this. A dirty house is better than a sick one I guess.

yerrag

Definitely prevents various types of molds, I know first hand in various homes I've been, too much moisture mold everywhere.
What is too much moisture?

Do you consider 40-60% relative humidity to be too much humidity?

For the sultanate of Portugal, is zero percent humidity what he considers dry air?

Last edited:

yerrag

It gets worse when one lives in an apartment with centralized heating. Then you get to share the air with other tenants, and when the air is dry, and not between 40-60% RH, it's easy for tenants to transmit pathogens among themselves. I live in one apartment complex before, and every February I could not escape the flu. A humidifier definitely helped, and not being in a low blood sugar condition also, as it really lowers immunity.

Gustav3Y

What is too much moisture?

Do you consider 40-60% relative humidity to be too much humidity?

For the sultanate of Morocco, is zero percent humidity what he considers dry air?

Again I speak from my experience, I am not trying to preach or tell people what to do.
I replied to the matter of too much moisture brings molds because of my experience,
not to the 40%-60% humidity rating as not being a good suggestion, I don't claim that is a bad humidity range.

When you see the various mold types with your own eyes, it is quite obvious where it is,
it is not about imagining there might be mold and decide to claim there is mold, no to mention moldy smells together with visually seeing it.

yerrag

Again I speak from my experience, I am not trying to preach or tell people what to do.
I replied to the matter of too much moisture brings molds because of my experience,
not to the 40%-60% humidity rating as not being a good suggestion, I don't claim that is a bad humidity range.

When you see the various mold types with your own eyes, it is quite obvious where it is,
it is not about imagining there might be mold and decide to claim there is mold, no to mention moldy smells together with visually seeing it.
Then I would add that it's a bad idea to use a humidifier when the RH is already above 60%, just to add to stating what is obvious.

Gustav3Y

You have to understand my experience.
The cellars are a disgrace, mold everywhere, walls, various mold colors, all vegetables and fruits are fungal infected visible, no need for lab checks.
Not to mention the all common Monilinia fructigena on fruits, galore.
Leave a cardboard box there in the summer or winter and it is warped/twisted in a matter of days and if you touch it is wet feeling.
There are many people growing up in such situations, not a single one is healthy by no means, and do not think it is a coincidence.

I have many mold stories about many places I have lived or been, unfortunately it would have been better to don't have any story at all.

yerrag

You have to understand my experience.
The cellars are a disgrace, mold everywhere, walls, various mold colors, all vegetables and fruits are fungal infected visible, no need for lab checks.
Not to mention the all common Monilinia fructigena on fruits, galore.
Leave a cardboard box there in the summer or winter and it is warped/twisted in a matter of days and if you touch it is wet feeling.
There are many people growing up in such situations, not a single one is healthy by no means, and do not think it is a coincidence.

I have many mold stories about many places I have lived or been, unfortunately it would have been better to don't have any story at all.
I can understand your plight, but being in an area that is too dry will keep you away from molds for sure, but it is not healthy either.

Gustav3Y

I would not aim for 0% humidity that is for sure.
One thing I have noticed even let's say you have 55% humidity where your hygrometer is placed, you may just have some walls, to the north mainly, where due to high temperature difference (inside to outside) during cold months the walls can get wet and promote mold by condensation.
Of course these days some people use fungicide substances and generally mold is reduced in those areas of condensation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom