Low Adrenaline/ Serotonin Exacerbates Insulin Resistance

ddjd

Ive been peating for roughly five years. In that time I've gone from a size 32 waistline to a size 36. From 75 kilos to 105 kilos.

Initially I was very happy because through peating I was able to bring my adrenaline signficantly down, my chronically cold hands and feet started being always warm, and the lower adrenaline also coincided with lower serotonin and lower histamine problems.

But. I very quickly noticed the considerable weight gain, particularly the belly fat around the waist, which I have since never been able to lose. And belly fat is known to be related to insulin resistance, high cortisol/ estrogen issues etc.

It could very well be the case that through reducing adrenaline so considerably my body started upregulating cortisol, which sparked the cascade of insulin resistance, weight gain, estrogen, belly fat etc.

I want to know if anyone else has noticed that reducing adrenaline has increased cortisol and insulin resistance issues?

any thoughts on this topic much appreciated

Last edited:

lampofred

The weight gain and increase in blood sugar happened to me at first, and here's my theory on what's going on...

Having high adrenaline means you are burning fat because the purpose of adrenaline is to liberate fats from storage. If you are burning fat, you will remain relatively lean because your fats are not being stored and will have low blood glucose just enough to sustain your brain and red blood cells because the rest of your tissues are running on fat.

Once you start eating Peat-recommended foods, all of which are aimed at reducing lipolysis, you gain weight because you are no longer burning fat (which is why you have to either have large muscles or eat low-fat when eating a Peaty diet to prevent weight gain) and your blood glucose rises to meet the increased glucose needs because all of your tissues are now running on glucose instead of just your brain and red blood cells. There is also a shift from adrenaline to cortisol because adrenaline liberates fat, whereas cortisol breaks down protein to form sugars. This blood glucose might need to shoot up really high to meet the needs of all of your tissues because of the insulin resistance already present from years of burning PUFA.

Aspirin, niacinamide, and keeping systemic lipolysis low should help increase insulin sensitivity and reduce your blood sugar while maintaining glucose oxidation instead of shifting to fat oxidation.

This is all just a personal theory, absolutely nothing I said has been suggested by Peat. But as an anecdote to support what I'm saying: my fasting glucose before Peating was 84, a few months after was 147, a few months later 121, again a few months later 98, and I need to go check again now to see where it's at. I used to eat a very high fat, high PUFA diet, so I suppose I was very insulin resistant after being accustomed to burning pure PUFA. But my doctor a few months ago said that I was so insulin sensitive that my numbers were beyond the scale (in a good way), so I don't think a Peat diet makes any insulin issues worse. I forgot exactly what the metric was though.

Last edited:

paymanz

Have you ever measured your typical food intake per day?if yes was it surplus compared to what your body needs?

And how is your macros percentage?

Regina

The weight gain and increase in blood sugar happened to me at first, and here's my theory on what's going on...

Having high adrenaline means you are burning fat because the purpose of adrenaline is to liberate fats from storage. If you are burning fat, you will remain relatively lean because your fats are not being stored and will have low blood glucose just enough to sustain your brain and red blood cells because the rest of your tissues are running on fat.

Once you start eating Peat-recommended foods, all of which are aimed at reducing lipolysis, you gain weight because you are no longer burning fat (which is why you have to either have large muscles or eat low-fat when eating a Peaty diet to prevent weight gain) and your blood glucose rises to meet the increased glucose needs because all of your tissues are now running on glucose instead of just your brain and red blood cells. There is also a shift from adrenaline to cortisol because adrenaline liberates fat, whereas cortisol breaks down protein to form sugars. This blood glucose might need to shoot up really high to meet the needs of all of your tissues because of the insulin resistance already present from years of burning PUFA.

Aspirin, niacinamide, and keeping systemic lipolysis low should help increase insulin sensitivity and reduce your blood sugar while maintaining glucose oxidation instead of shifting to fat oxidation.

This is all just a personal theory, absolutely nothing I said has been suggested by Peat. But as an anecdote to support what I'm saying: my fasting glucose before Peating was 84, a few months after was 147, a few months later 121, again a few months later 98, and I need to go check again now to see where it's at. I used to eat a very high fat, high PUFA diet, so I suppose I was very insulin resistant after being accustomed to burning pure PUFA. But my doctor a few months ago said that I was so insulin sensitive that my numbers were beyond the scale (in a good way), so I don't think a Peat diet makes any insulin issues worse. I forgot exactly what the metric was though.
Makes sense lampofred.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Thanks for this. I think you're spot on. Maybe it's not to do with insulin sensitivity. But Aspirin, Niacinamide, T3 all just make me so much more bloated and fat.
I think as you say the secret is to go as low fat as possible

fradon

Ive been peating for roughly five years. In that time I've gone from a size 32 waistline to a size 36. From 75 kilos to 105 kilos.

Initially I was very happy because through peating I was able to bring my adrenaline signficantly down, my chronically cold hands and feet started being always warm, and the lower adrenaline also coincided with lower serotonin and lower histamine problems.

But. I very quickly noticed the considerable weight gain, particularly the belly fat around the waist, which I have since never been able to lose. And belly fat is known to be related to insulin resistance, high cortisol/ estrogen issues etc.

It could very well be the case that through reducing adrenaline so considerably my body started upregulating cortisol, which sparked the cascade of insulin resistance, weight gain, estrogen, belly fat etc.

I want to know if anyone else has noticed that reducing adrenaline has increased cortisol and insulin resistance issues?

any thoughts on this topic much appreciated

you need ADRENALINE to burn BELLY FAT.

https://www.metaboliceffect.com/exercise-to-burn-belly-fat/
ARTICLE STATES: On every fat cell there are receptors. These receptors are like little keyholes and when they are opened they turn on all the cellular machinery needed to release fat from its storage compartments. The keys that open these receptors are hormones. When it comes to belly fat there is a certain class of hormones that is most important. These hormones are called catecholamines and include adrenaline. When adrenaline docks to its receptor on a fat cell, it sets into motion a host of physiological processes that burn fat and decrease muscle loss.

You can burn as many calories as you want, but if you don’t stimulate the release of adrenaline, you are going to be less efficient at burning fat.

ALSO IF you have high estrogen then a low glycemic diet and resistance training will raise SHBG which will bind up those hormones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals