Lots of random questions

astellarbean

Hello all...

I am trying to implement some of the Peat ways for Sebastian 3.5 and I.

His issues are behavior for the past 2 months
biting kicking hitting diggining his nails in me
short fuse
a ton of mood swings by the hour - he can be alternatively REALLY chill and mellow then spazzing out and jabbing/kicking me and acting out
major separation anxiety with me
he was very restless so I decided to skip his nap but its very trying to get through the day because it makes him cranky

his real tendency is to be a great observer and chill and wants to know everything about everything but lately much much less with the behavior

he also has tooth decalcification (white spots) history of tooth decay on 2 front teeth but were filled by a biological dentist, low muscle tone, inability to gain weight and the history (past tense) of autistic behaviors but that's another topic...raw carrots have helped immensely with the constipation for him

I have been doing the coffee with raw milk and lots of sugar. We're doing OJ. Ice cream (homemade for him, sometimes me storebought grass fed), trying to avoid wheat except white sourdough bread, he likes hashbrowns in beef tallow, raw milk but he prefers the ice cream obviously, rice pudding (he hates the texture), tortilla chips fried in coco oil or tallow, he isn't into eating cheese whole or dipping tortillas into cheese sauce, and the rest I have to wing to feed him because he isn't into a lot of the recommendations. watermelon etc is scare right now in Virginia in November...he is sick of grapes...he will eat the applesauce. I am drinking Virgil's real cola, Blue sky ginger ale, etc on occasion...I am upping my white sugar intake from previously NEVER consuming white sugar. I am slowly giving Sebastian some...I know Peat says sugar and hyperactivity don't relate but I am scared to make him more nutty....its like walking on eggshells with him anymore. I truly can't figure out what he is eating to set him off. Maybe its all of the WIFI connections where we moved to in NoVa (our house is next to a condo complex too). We sleep on earthing sheets. I don't bathe him in the fluoride water- I use filtered water and bathe him once a week till we get a whole house fluoride filter. Im really at a loss!

First question: what the heck do I feed him? I can't seem to get enough dairy in him unless he eats ice cream every meal. I really need him to gain weight and muscle tone

Second question: I started supplementing with thorne D and K...what is my dose? Its too hard to calculate the dose rubbing it on my skin...I do orally...either the coffee or the D/K supplementation is making me feel like crap...im more exhausted brain foggish and run down even though I was before and am also waking up at 3-4am every night (I have always done the waking up though but now its becoming a thing)

Third question: Where can I get and what type of thyroid supplementation? I know I need it. I am looking into getting lots of bloodwork done to check my hormones and thyroid panels

Fourth question: Is it the soda, OJ, or sugar making my teeth ache and sensitive?

Fifth Question: I have been rubbing the D/k on sebastians skin but im a little skeptical just how much he is getting. His oral dose is 2 drops of thorne vit d (1000 iu) and 1 drop of thorne vit K....so is it safe to increase that by 4x? peat said he will only absorb 1/4th

I'm really lost with all of this. I feel like I might be doing more harm without knowing all of the specifics. There are so many factors to this this and that. I feel like my head is spinning.

J

j.

Beef tongue, if you can get it, is one of the best sources of vitamin K2, while you figure out the supplementation. So is pancreas but I don't know if people eat that. Liver, tripe, and kidney also have it. And sometimes butter and whole milk.

I think there is not extensive research on the ideal dose, just a matter of trial and error, but if you can tolerate it, high doses are safe according to the studies, even up to 135 mg per day. I found that if I take too much I'm too hungry for sugar and calcium. Also, if you take it orally and there is no problem, I would just take orally. I had more problems when I tried to take it externally.

There is another brand of vitamin K2 called AOR, which I used with good results. That's a high dose and expensive, but it's just something you could consider in the future.

NooMoahk

I'm no expert on Peat or children but what kind of protein is he getting? Perhaps try some mild tasting stuff like cod or eggs? Maybe he just needs more vitamins in lieu of starch as well, understandably good fruit can be tough though. If he likes ice cream more than other dairy, sugaring milk might make it more palatable. I felt downright addicted to haagen dazs the last month and broke it by sugaring my milk. If he is a fan of hashbrowns, perhaps you could try more potato dishes. I remember only liking rice pudding as a child because it had sugar and cinnamon, the rice was something to "get through". I hated corn at a young age too, it had to be swimming in cheese, butter, and/or salt. I even hated potato. I was a huge fan of eggs when I was younger though, they just had to be cooked the way I liked them. I LOVED apple juice/kool aid/lemonade but those probably aren't optimal. I loved sweet potato and I'd imagine I would have liked acorn or butternut squash(probably a better choice than sweet potato) though my family didn't eat much sweet squash. I also wanted berries all the time, though it's tough for me to recommend them.

I am just basing this off my remembered instinctual desires. Again,I don't know what children need.

Almost forgot, is chewing something to consider at his age? I really liked carrots but hated cooked carrot. Carrots probably won't provide much calories though.

OP
A

astellarbean

He likes crunchy stuff like baby carrots and tortilla chips. He is really finicky about certain textures like the rice pudding. It must be the fact that theres two completely different things in one. He likes seeing his ingredients up front. If i go making crazy mixes that are soupy or look
Casserole like he wont try it based on that he doesnt know what it is. Eggs he will randomly eat but sometimes turn away. i feel all potato'd out. Barf lol

I have contemplated sugaring milk but im still tryin to get my head around him eating sugar - maybe honey

I know peat said sweet potatoes are hard to digest... My son hates them. He used to like berries but arent they not recommended?

paper_clips43

How about lots of raw grass fed butter? I noticed the more raw butter I eat the calmer I feel. I too have a history of temper tantrums and mood swings. Raw butter is probably the most beneficial food I have ever come across. When I started Paleo last year I would eat a pound a week. After three months I totally and completely cured my epilepsy.

jaguar43

astellarbean said:
Hello all...

I am trying to implement some of the Peat ways for Sebastian 3.5 and I.

His issues are behavior for the past 2 months
biting kicking hitting diggining his nails in me
short fuse
a ton of mood swings by the hour - he can be alternatively REALLY chill and mellow then spazzing out and jabbing/kicking me and acting out
major separation anxiety with me
he was very restless so I decided to skip his nap but its very trying to get through the day because it makes him cranky

his real tendency is to be a great observer and chill and wants to know everything about everything but lately much much less with the behavior

he also has tooth decalcification (white spots) history of tooth decay on 2 front teeth but were filled by a biological dentist, low muscle tone, inability to gain weight and the history (past tense) of autistic behaviors but that's another topic...raw carrots have helped immensely with the constipation for him

I have been doing the coffee with raw milk and lots of sugar. We're doing OJ. Ice cream (homemade for him, sometimes me storebought grass fed), trying to avoid wheat except white sourdough bread, he likes hashbrowns in beef tallow, raw milk but he prefers the ice cream obviously, rice pudding (he hates the texture), tortilla chips fried in coco oil or tallow, he isn't into eating cheese whole or dipping tortillas into cheese sauce, and the rest I have to wing to feed him because he isn't into a lot of the recommendations. watermelon etc is scare right now in Virginia in November...he is sick of grapes...he will eat the applesauce. I am drinking Virgil's real cola, Blue sky ginger ale, etc on occasion...I am upping my white sugar intake from previously NEVER consuming white sugar. I am slowly giving Sebastian some...I know Peat says sugar and hyperactivity don't relate but I am scared to make him more nutty....its like walking on eggshells with him anymore. I truly can't figure out what he is eating to set him off. Maybe its all of the WIFI connections where we moved to in NoVa (our house is next to a condo complex too). We sleep on earthing sheets. I don't bathe him in the fluoride water- I use filtered water and bathe him once a week till we get a whole house fluoride filter. Im really at a loss!

First question: what the heck do I feed him? I can't seem to get enough dairy in him unless he eats ice cream every meal. I really need him to gain weight and muscle tone

Second question: I started supplementing with thorne D and K...what is my dose? Its too hard to calculate the dose rubbing it on my skin...I do orally...either the coffee or the D/K supplementation is making me feel like crap...im more exhausted brain foggish and run down even though I was before and am also waking up at 3-4am every night (I have always done the waking up though but now its becoming a thing)

Third question: Where can I get and what type of thyroid supplementation? I know I need it. I am looking into getting lots of bloodwork done to check my hormones and thyroid panels

Fourth question: Is it the soda, OJ, or sugar making my teeth ache and sensitive?

Fifth Question: I have been rubbing the D/k on sebastians skin but im a little skeptical just how much he is getting. His oral dose is 2 drops of thorne vit d (1000 iu) and 1 drop of thorne vit K....so is it safe to increase that by 4x? peat said he will only absorb 1/4th

I'm really lost with all of this. I feel like I might be doing more harm without knowing all of the specifics. There are so many factors to this this and that. I feel like my head is spinning.

Northern Virginia is great! My sister works in fairfax and loves it!

Try Eggs, rice, fries, meat ( kids need a lot of tryptophan). Liver, heart. You don't have to be strictly peat. Pasta isn't that bad once in a while. Cooking pears, apples, peaches. Guavas are out during the winter.

Do you think he has autism, aspergers, I think you should start with that. Because Ray Peat recommends thyroid supplementation.

lindsay

I have had great improvements in my teeth just by adding dairy back into my diet, alone with a Vit. K2 supplement. Sugar has been beneficial on all levels, however, I think cravings are a good way to gauge how much you need. If I listen to my body, I notice how sharp my cravings for things are.

As far as your son, if you can get him to eat things like beef tongue or liver from a young age, I think it will be beneficial - I hate liver and was never fed it as a child. I think cultivating these tastes early is important - people I know who ate liver as a child love it as an adult. Regarding milk, I hate the taste of milk by itself, but mix a little maple syrup into it and I will drink it right down :)

lindsay

j. said:
Beef tongue, if you can get it, is one of the best sources of vitamin K2, while you figure out the supplementation.

Is there somewhere that gives the amounts of K2 per oz or 3 oz, etc. serving of beef tongue? I've been wanting to try it because I hate liver, but I've heard tongue is delish.

Mittir

I remember j posted a rat study several months ago
that measured K2 level in different organs.
Ray Peat personally measured vitamin K content of beef liver.
Well cooked Kale is a very good source for K1.