lots of Peat inspired Recipes

4peatssake

pboy said:
awesome , thanks. BBQ'ing sounds like an excellent idea too...I have plenty of oak logs hanging around
I forgot to mention, I usually slather butter (you could use coconut oil if you prefer) on the outside too when I wrap them in foil. Makes them crispy, although I no longer eat the skin!

I'm not sure if you have or use a microwave. But if I have a time constraint and want to make potatoes, I'll "bake" them in the microwave, let cool a few minutes and then peel them. It's tricky but I've developed a good method of dealing with hot potatoes. ;)

Then I'll mash them with milk, butter and salt and reheat if necessary. It's quick in a pinch and I can make them really rich and creamy or chunky.

pboy

4peatssake said:
pboy said:
awesome , thanks. BBQ'ing sounds like an excellent idea too...I have plenty of oak logs hanging around
I forgot to mention, I usually slather butter (you could use coconut oil if you prefer) on the outside too when I wrap them in foil. Makes them crispy, although I no longer eat the skin!

I'm not sure if you have or use a microwave. But if I have a time constraint and want to make potatoes, I'll "bake" them in the microwave, let cool a few minutes and then peel them. It's tricky but I've developed a good method of dealing with hot potatoes. ;)

Then I'll mash them with milk, butter and salt and reheat if necessary. It's quick in a pinch and I can make them really rich and creamy or chunky.

Awesome, thanks again...I don't stress about the microwave, I'll use it if I have to! My favorite is butter and cheese (sometimes sour cream). The idea of softening, mashing, then reheating sounds really good

4peatssake

Dutchie said:
Keep in mind itll be coconutflavoured pizza. At the. site of empoweredsustenance i saw a pizza made with butternutsquash crust.
I guess if you do starch,maybe rice or potatoflour might also work?
Thanks Dutchie.

Fortunately, I like the flavor of coconut and will probably use twice pressed coconut milk (lighter in flavor) and coconut flour doesn't have strong coconut flavor and is high in protein. I wonder too about using half n half or whole milk in place of the coconut milk. Experimenting will be fun! ;)

I'm not partial to butternut squash but it's probably a good option for other folks.

OP
D

Dutchie

Let us know,how it was:)

4peatssake said:
Dutchie said:
Keep in mind itll be coconutflavoured pizza. At the. site of empoweredsustenance i saw a pizza made with butternutsquash crust.
I guess if you do starch,maybe rice or potatoflour might also work?
Thanks Dutchie.

Fortunately, I like the flavor of coconut and will probably use twice pressed coconut milk (lighter in flavor) and coconut flour doesn't have strong coconut flavor and is high in protein. I wonder too about using half n half or whole milk in place of the coconut milk. Experimenting will be fun! ;)

I'm not partial to butternut squash but it's probably a good option for other folks.

Jenn

I would not recommend using a microwave to cook potatoes (well any food, but that's a different issue.) Potatoes are an excellent food, if they are cooked properly. They really do need a longer cooking time to make them more digestible, specifically the starch.

jyb

Jenn, how do you make your coconut oil French fries? I'm curious as to how much time the whole process takes too.

Jenn

Well, my son is the expert french fryer around here....but I'll do my best. ;)
First off, we have a dedicated pan for oil. It's a blue enameled camping stock pot with a lid. The lid keeps the moths from committing suicide in the oil. Coconut can be used over and over and over again. We keep it filled with half or slightly less of oil. Too much can boil up and out of the pot, total mess. Been there, done that.

Start heating the oil and cut the fries while the oil is heating. When the oil is hot, pop them in a small handful at a time. This is dependent on YOUR pot and fry volume. Remove them from the oil when they both float and are a good color. Repeat until your pile is ready and salt heavily, to taste.

Onions rings like a lower temp. http://losingcreekfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... rings.html

mimi

hey!

I'm sorry, I had to close my old Pinterest account because I got harassed by my ex. :( haha, sad but true. (http://pinterest.com/pin/343329171563158395/)
got a new page with peat-ish recipes, but it's a secret board right now, will post a link here when it's public :)

happy to have found the forum! ;)
cheers,
mimi

OP
D

Dutchie

mimi said:
hey!

I'm sorry, I had to close my old Pinterest account because I got harassed by my ex. :( haha, sad but true. (http://pinterest.com/pin/343329171563158395/)
got a new page with peat-ish recipes, but it's a secret board right now, will post a link here when it's public :)

cheers,
mimi

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!.....I wanted to browse your Pinterest recipes to make a week mealplan,so that I'd hopefully finally quit f'ing around.:'(

I'm sorry you were harrassed though.

Jenn

Oh, BTW, in rereading this thread, I guess I missed a question....

My temps go UP when I eat potatoes, sometimes its the only way I can get warm in winter. I CHEW and don't over eat them. A small salad plate's worth might be a meal, or even half a potato's worth. My son usually eats the leftovers. ;)

Millet is a known goiterogenic food, like the brassicas.

mimi

Dutchie said:
mimi said:
hey!

cheers,
mimi

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!.....I wanted to browse your Pinterest recipes to make a week mealplan,so that I'd hopefully finally quit f'ing around.:'(

I'm sorry you were harrassed though.

Sorry for the disappointment, Dutchie... :(

I have a new board online now: http://www.pinterest.com/milkmaplesirup ... ired-eats/

Hope you find it helpful; it's meant to give (me) some inspiration for the kitchen/meal prep. Many of the recipes need some adjustments here and there... pretty much the same recipes as I had on the last board! Cheers! :)