Lot Of Arsenic In Apple Juice (low In White And Brown Rice)

berk

Apple Juice test:

White and brown rice:

SOMO

This is contrary to what a lot of other people claim - that rice is high in arsenic.

It's an interesting test, and makes me rethink apple juice, even though I love apple juice.

Apple juice has other issues as well, the cider/unpasteurized stuff is full of yeast and mold and is likely estrogenic.

The clarified (clear apple juice) in the store is probably better in that regard, but I believe apples might be high in polyols and have a laxative effect and can be hard to digest for some.

Last edited:

Hgreen56

This is contrary to what a lot of other people claim - that rice is high in arsenic.

It's an interesting test, and makes me rethink apple juice, even though I love apple juice.

Apple juice has other issues as well, the cider/unpasteurized stuff is full of yeast and mold and is likely estrogenic.

The clarified (clear apple juice) in the store is probably better in that regard, but I believe apples might be high in polyols and have a laxative effect and can be hard to digest for some.
so besides the arsenic, the cheap 100% concentrate appeljuice is best choice?
I wonder how arsenic is got into the apple juice.

Michael Mohn

The arsenic content of plant foods depends on the arsenic content of the soil. Some plants might take up more than others but soil concentrations are more decisive. Some regions in India have high arsenic concentrations of heavy metals and people eat lots of rice. This is why there's big focus on rice.

Perry Staltic

Arsenic was used as an insecticide in apple orchards years ago. My parents were warned by a realtor to avoid a certain section of an area they were interested in because the ground water was contaminated with arsenic from all of the apple orchards there.

Dave Clark

Unlike rice, which pulls arsenic out of the previously pesticide sprayed fields that they are grown in, allowing even organic to be high in arsenic in some areas, apples have to be sprayed directly to have any appreciable amount of arsenic. Organic certified apples and apple juice should not test high in arsenic, or they are frauds.

Perry Staltic

Unlike rice, which pulls arsenic out of the previously pesticide sprayed fields that they are grown in, allowing even organic to be high in arsenic in some areas, apples have to be sprayed directly to have any appreciable amount of arsenic. Organic certified apples and apple juice should not test high in arsenic, or they are frauds.

If apple orchards are irrigated with arsenic contaminated well water, then the fruit will be contaminated, organic or not. Probably lead also because the pesticide used was lead arsenate.

Dave Clark

If apple orchards are irrigated with arsenic contaminated well water, then the fruit will be contaminated, organic or not. Probably lead also because the pesticide used was lead arsenate.
That may be true to some extent, however, rice absorbs from the soil and water to a great level, whatever is in it, since the rice stalk is only a few feet high. In an apple tree, much of the micro nutrients, metals, contaminants, etc. are dispersed into trunks, branches, leaves, etc. I would need to see tests that prove organic orchards that are irrigated with arsenic in the water transfers it to any appreciable degree to the fruit. Arsenic is generally not a big contaminate in well water, unless the water was poisoned by commercial pesticides, something most organic growers voluntarily test for, and are required to test for in their 'agricultural water'. Also, since trees have roots that go many feet deep, irrigation is not needed in most areas and rarely done, compared to a shallow rooted plant like rice that needs much water to grow, just like most vegetables. We are comparing apples and oranges {rice} here. Just my opinion, but I have seen positive tests for arsenic in rice and other shallow root crops, but have yet to see any for tree crops that are organically grown.