Lost Smell post-Covid

rothko

Hello all,

Tested positive for covid and had the mildest flu of my life 2.5 days of congestion and night fever/chills. However, I never fully regained my smell. I know that this is a symptom of coronaviruses generally. But does anyone know any specific tips to jump start my sense of smell back to normal? Or is it just time? Thanks

J

jb116

Hello all,

Tested positive for covid and had the mildest flu of my life 2.5 days of congestion and night fever/chills. However, I never fully regained my smell. I know that this is a symptom of coronaviruses generally. But does anyone know any specific tips to jump start my sense of smell back to normal? Or is it just time? Thanks
You some theanine. You'll feel better and your sense of smell will come back

Perry Staltic

Loss a sense of smell is a symptom of zinc deficiency. I'd do 40 mg or so per day + selenium.

J

jb116

Thanks, I have good green tea ill start drinking that.
It's really nothing more than a bad cold /flu. Just like with those situations, loss of taste and smell is a primary thing. More serotonin implicated in this case. I'm noticing something like theanine is very anti free plasma serotonin. So using the tea or maybe some bigger doses for a few days with supplement should be really helpful.

David PS

This video holds some suggestions.

M

metabolizm

It'll come back. My girlfriend lost her sense of smell and taste for two-three weeks.

Inaut

I've read that re-sensitizing your olfactories can be done with the use of essential oils. I'd try inhaling some oils to speed it along.

LeeLemonoil

The odorant and Taste receptors are part of the immune system. It’s now established (and published) that the covid cases with loss of those functions are to a very large extent the mild to moderate cases because lots of them virus was combated at those receptor sites. But they get destroyed or badly damaged in the inflammatory process. Thus the loss of function.

They are nerve cells and complicated proteins. It will take up to 6, sometimes 8 weeks for them to regrow. But they will.

Vinnie06

As Inaut said above re Olfactories, there is a video on youtube of a Chiropracter who flicks the back of your head while you put a finger on the point between your eyes. Seems to work immediately in regaining taste.

bogbody

my husband lost his smell for a couple of weeks also post covid and gradually got it back . the thing thay heled him the most besides time and rest was smelling different essential oils regularly and also using lots of different flavors and aromatic spices when cooking. he said Indian food especially helped.

AndrewGesell

my husband lost his smell for a couple of weeks also post covid and gradually got it back . the thing thay heled him the most besides time and rest was smelling different essential oils regularly and also using lots of different flavors and aromatic spices when cooking. he said Indian food especially helped.
Was in a long hauler group and heard much the same

nomoreketones

My parents (in their 80s) had COVID in March. My Dad lost his sense of smell completely. For a brief moment the other day his sense of smell came back but then went away again. My dad has been googling about this and decided to try alpha lipoic acid to help regain his sense of smell.

Has anyone here regained smell using alpha lipoic acid?

Cooper

I
My parents (in their 80s) had COVID in March. My Dad lost his sense of smell completely. For a brief moment the other day his sense of smell came back but then went away again. My dad has been googling about this and decided to try alpha lipoic acid to help regain his sense of smell.

Has anyone here regained smell using alpha lipoic acid?
I take 600mg ALA daily and no it didn't help my smell and taste. Im 2.5 months post covid and it still didn't came back fully. See my thread about it here.

Im gonna take 10mg zinc daily and see what it does.

AndrewGesell

I

I take 600mg ALA daily and no it didn't help my smell and taste. Im 2.5 months post covid and it still didn't came back fully. See my thread about it here.

Im gonna take 10mg zinc daily and see what it does.
My initial infection was June last year. Its mostly back. Saw a lot of commentary from long haulers on retraining your sense of smell with citrus, floral and other smells.

Cooper

My initial infection was June last year. Its mostly back. Saw a lot of commentary from long haulers on retraining your sense of smell with citrus, floral and other smells.
Can you please state after how long you got your sense 100% back to normal? Jesus, i can't even feel libido because i can't smell my partner. Feels weird without smells. Did you have anything like this too?

AndrewGesell

Can you please state after how long you got your sense 100% back to normal? Jesus, i can't even feel libido because i can't smell my partner. Feels weird without smells. Did you have anything like this too?
Nah. With me it came in waves. Would lose 70%sense of smell then get it back mostly later that day or the next day. Seems I have a good healing factor when it comes to my brain. Thank god. It’s never back to normal, always less than it used to be. Look up covid long haulers group in Facebook and search through what they did.

beware: a lot of negativity in that forum. Don’t get sucked in

Cooper

Nah. With me it came in waves. Would lose 70%sense of smell then get it back mostly later that day or the next day. Seems I have a good healing factor when it comes to my brain. Thank god. It’s never back to normal, always less than it used to be. Look up covid long haulers group in Facebook and search through what they did.

beware: a lot of negativity in that forum. Don’t get sucked in
Holy ***t... On top of my Post Accutane Syndrome now i have to face with tre truth of losing my smell permanently to some degree? God... No.

So it didn't come back fully for you after almost a year? :{

Cooper

Do you know anything that can help from that Facebook group? Thanks.

I hope it will come back for you. Sounds hard to live with. Mine isn't %0. I would say smell is %20. And taste is %60. I can't smell my partner on top of my sexual problems. It feels like a nightmare.