Lost And Need HELP! 24 Y/o Dry, Thinning, Grey Hair. Help Please, Do I Need A Hormone And Mineral

RPNewbie

Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe,

Really hoping you can help as I am feeling completely lost right now. I am a 24 year old male, fairly active and I am experiencing the below issues:

- Thinning hair, not receding one bit... More horseshoe shaped thinning.
- My hair feels like dry straw, My scalp is quick to build dandruff.
- Prematurely graying hair, this has increased x10 fold recently

- Cold hands and feet, to the extent of feet being numb / pins & needles
- Resting heart rate 48-52 BPM
- Tiredness / Anxiety
- Frequent urination / Small bladder??

Vegetarian (but following RP as close as possible), I am willing to eat oysters and even take a grass fed beef liver supplement, let me know your thoughts please?

I have had my bloods done to check for my Thyroid, I will post my blood results below, let me know your thoughts on he below blood test results:
Should I now have a Hormones and Mineral test
Full Blood Count
Haemoglobin Concentration (Xa96v)... 151g/L
Mean Cell Volume(42A)... 91.1fL
Platelet Count...(42A)... 146 10*9/L
Total White Blood Count...5.2 10*9/L
Neutrophil Count... 2.05 10*9/L
Lymphocyte Count...2.32 10*9/L
10*9/L
10*9/L
10*9/L
10*9/L
Haematocrit... 0.442 1/1
Mean Cell Haemoglobin level... 30.9 pg

eGFR using Creatinine (CKD-EPI) Per 1.73 m squared
> 90 mL/min

Plasma Glucose Level
4.7 mmol/L

Serum Magnesium Level
0.83 mmol/L

Serum TSH level
2.3 miu/L

Serum C Reactive Protein Level
< 1mg/L

Liver Function Tests
Serum Total Protein level... 73 g/L
Serum Albumin Level... 44 g/L
Serum Alkaline Phosphatase Level... 89 u/L
Serum Alanine Aminotransferase Level... 19 u/L
Serum Total Bilirubin Level... 8 umol/L

Bone Profile
Serum Calcium Level... 2.39 mmol/L
Serum Adjusted Calcium Concentration... 2.34 mmol/L

Serum Lipid Levels
Serum Cholesterol Level...3,0 mmol/L
Serum HDL Cholesterol Level...1,4 mmol/L
Serum Cholesterol /HDL ratio 2.1
Serum non High Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Level... 1.6 mmol/L

Urea and Electrolytes
Serum Sodium Level... 140 mmol/L
Serum Potassium Level... 4.6 mmol/L
Serum Creatinine Level... 81 umol/L

Plasma Viscosity
1.52 mPa.s
Serum Prolactin Levels
184 miu/L
Haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)
35 mmol/mol.

Willing to listen to all advice. Really just need some guidance,
Thank you all for taking the time to read the above, I have tried to make it as short as possible in the hope for help.
Thanks., RPNewbie.

Maljam

You have given us a lot of numbers but not told us much about yourself, your diet, how much exercise you get, sunlight etc.

People can get paralysed by lots of numbers and fall into a trap of getting blood test after blood test that doesn't actually tell you much. I did this for years. Use your money on food.

You won't like to hear this but I personally dont think vegetarianism is compatible with optimum health. Unless you are making a conscious effort, you are more than likely protein deficient as well as other needed vitamins and minerals.

I would recommend a balance of all macros, lots of nutritious fat sources, egg yolks, butter, steaks, fatty lamb, chocolate. Alongside whatever carb source suits you, well boiled potato is a good starting point and is very nutritious. Dont drown yourself in liquid sources.

As much exercise as you can handle, if it's just gentle walks, then do that, if you can handle some sprints, then sprint. Move more if you dont move much.

Sunlight is always good.

Last edited:

redsun

Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe,

Really hoping you can help as I am feeling completely lost right now. I am a 24 year old male, fairly active and I am experiencing the below issues:

- Thinning hair, not receding one bit... More horseshoe shaped thinning.
- My hair feels like dry straw, My scalp is quick to build dandruff.
- Prematurely graying hair, this has increased x10 fold recently

- Cold hands and feet, to the extent of feet being numb / pins & needles
- Resting heart rate 48-52 BPM
- Tiredness / Anxiety
- Frequent urination / Small bladder??

Vegetarian (but following RP as close as possible), I am willing to eat oysters and even take a grass fed beef liver supplement, let me know your thoughts please?

I have had my bloods done to check for my Thyroid, I will post my blood results below, let me know your thoughts on he below blood test results:
Should I now have a Hormones and Mineral test
Full Blood Count
Haemoglobin Concentration (Xa96v)... 151g/L
Mean Cell Volume(42A)... 91.1fL
Platelet Count...(42A)... 146 10*9/L
Total White Blood Count...5.2 10*9/L
Neutrophil Count... 2.05 10*9/L
Lymphocyte Count...2.32 10*9/L
10*9/L
10*9/L
10*9/L
10*9/L
Haematocrit... 0.442 1/1
Mean Cell Haemoglobin level... 30.9 pg

eGFR using Creatinine (CKD-EPI) Per 1.73 m squared
> 90 mL/min

Plasma Glucose Level
4.7 mmol/L

Serum Magnesium Level
0.83 mmol/L

Serum TSH level
2.3 miu/L

Serum C Reactive Protein Level
< 1mg/L

Liver Function Tests
Serum Total Protein level... 73 g/L
Serum Albumin Level... 44 g/L
Serum Alkaline Phosphatase Level... 89 u/L
Serum Alanine Aminotransferase Level... 19 u/L
Serum Total Bilirubin Level... 8 umol/L

Bone Profile
Serum Calcium Level... 2.39 mmol/L
Serum Adjusted Calcium Concentration... 2.34 mmol/L

Serum Lipid Levels
Serum Cholesterol Level...3,0 mmol/L
Serum HDL Cholesterol Level...1,4 mmol/L
Serum Cholesterol /HDL ratio 2.1
Serum non High Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Level... 1.6 mmol/L

Urea and Electrolytes
Serum Sodium Level... 140 mmol/L
Serum Potassium Level... 4.6 mmol/L
Serum Creatinine Level... 81 umol/L

Plasma Viscosity
1.52 mPa.s
Serum Prolactin Levels
184 miu/L
Haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)
35 mmol/mol.

Willing to listen to all advice. Really just need some guidance,
Thank you all for taking the time to read the above, I have tried to make it as short as possible in the hope for help.
Thanks., RPNewbie.

Gonna be real, if you want to keep your hair and grow back the rest that has already fallen out, throw that need to be vegetarian out the window. If you are 24 and pretty active, you need plenty of protein and the minerals that accompany them and lots of easily digestive carbohydrates to control cortisol. Red meats provide iron and zinc and many essential amino acids which vegetarians tend to be deficient in because of low bioavailability and this problem becomes more obvious if you're active. Low zinc will make you hypothyroid and ruin you and your body will quickly fall apart.

Your diet since it is vegetarian is probably good in electrolytes and copper and manganese intake but iron can be low and maybe lower because of your increased physical activity and same goes for zinc.

If you are active and have an inadequate diet that does not allow proper regeneration, you are literally killing yourself at a very fast pace.

Zinc is the prime issue here for vegetarians even if you are shoving dairy down your throat. Alone dairy is not going to be enough if you are active (doubt its enough even if you aren't unless you consume massive amounts).

I would get 8oz servings of quality beef every and 3+ servings of good dairy daily to replete zinc levels in the diet, consume lower fat varieties if you want to avoid extra fat cals. If your carb intake is 300g a day or less it may need to be slighter higher since your active to control cortisol levels. And I would absolutely eat oysters if possible for high mineral content.

I dont think you are likely copper deficient so need to go high in liver maybe small amounts occasionally. But in short zinc rich proteins (beef, dairy, oysters) should be integrated into the diet and likely more carbs for control cortisol from physical activity. This generally help all of your symptoms you complained about. You should also input your daily diet into cronometer to see what else your missing and change the diet accordingly to remedy that.

Tarmander

Being a vegetarian requires a certain type of environment, mainly one that contains a lot of sun and not a lot of strenuous work.

What is your environment like? Are you in school or just graduate?

gaze

if your heart rate is 48, I would stop all excersise if you do any. Make sure you eat a lot of milk cheese eggs and oysters if you want to remain vegetarian. And ice cream would probaly help as well because you seem very stressed. Salty cheese with orange juice would help as well

mrchibbs

@redsun

I agree with the general idea, but if it is zinc he needs, he can get plenty of it with oysters alone. The graying may also indicates a need for trace minerals which would make shellfish the main food of choice to meet his needs.

But you're right, based on all his symptoms, he clearly needs zinc ASAP.

@RPNewbie

Hey it's clear you're in a hypothyroid state. Cold extremities, very low pulse rate. That alone explains much of your problems. Hair follicles require decent thyroid function. Dry skin/hair loss/graying have all been seen in hypothyroidism.

You need highly nutritious foods. I understand the idea behind avoiding meat. I would be a vegan if I thought I could be healthy that way, but it is unrealistic. As @Tarmander noted, a vegetarian/vegan diet could work in a non-stressful environment, but that doesn't apply to nearly everyone.

As I said above, shellfish may be the most essential thing to add to your diet. Meat would help as well, of course. But finding a good source of oysters, and eating lots of them, perhaps making oyster stews, is really going to be crucial here.

A high quality b-complex may be very useful as well. (The one by Health Natura is really good)

Vitamin D levels are also involved in diffuse thinning, and are related to thyroid function. So, getting more sun is pretty important.

if your heart rate is 48, I would stop all excersise if you do any. Make sure you eat a lot of milk cheese eggs and oysters if you want to remain vegetarian. And ice cream would probaly help as well because you seem very stressed. Salty cheese with orange juice would help as well

Since when has ice cream been considered anything more than junk.

@RPNewbie care to list your diet and activities in detail, and welcome.

mrchibbs

Since when has ice cream been considered anything more than junk.

@RPNewbie care to list your diet and activities in detail, and welcome.

Where is the junk in cream, milk, eggs and sugar? It can be powerfully soothing and relaxing and the mix of fat, protein and calcium helps to suppress the parathyroid and other stress hormones at night.

Most commercial ice creams are indeed, since they contain various gums, binders and excipients. Some brands are very good though, like Haagen Dasz. Making your own is even better.

Where is the junk in cream, milk, eggs and sugar? It can be powerfully soothing and relaxing and the mix of fat, protein and calcium helps to suppress the parathyroid and other stress hormones at night.

Most commercial ice creams are indeed, since they contain various gums, binders and excipients. Some brands are very good though, like Haagen Dasz. Making your own is even better.

Totally agree, most ice cream is junk, Haagen Dasz is an exception, let me rephrase milk, egg (good) but the ratio to sugar is excessive, meaning it should be consumed occasionally.

gaze

Totally agree, most ice cream is junk, Haagen Dasz is an exception, let me rephrase milk, egg (good) but the ratio to sugar is excessive, meaning it should be consumed occasionally.

I think ice cream is very good for people dealing with a lot of stress and under eating. the sugar is hasgen daaz isnt really that much within a balanced diet. i think ray mentioned he ate a quart of ice cream daily for 15 years at one point hahahaha

Jeff Masters

I have been vegetarian for 25 years, but conceed 3 years agao I was falling into the sickness field and it was then that I stumbled on Ray's, Georgi and Danny Roddy, These guys have been life savers in my opinion! I introduced eggs, milk and oysters to my diet and also Thyroid, B vitamins (energin) and some Estroban ADE&K from Ideal Labs along with pure collagen from Collagenx, which I have 10grams everyday to increase protein intake. These 2 brands appear to be at the top end of the market in purity and no excipients or upstream processing acids, which is also important. These things have made a huge difference for me persoanlly. Danny and Georgi did a podcats on the weekend which actually touched on dandruff, definately worth listening to.

DhtAssassin

I have been vegetarian for 25 years, but conceed 3 years agao I was falling into the sickness field and it was then that I stumbled on Ray's, Georgi and Danny Roddy, These guys have been life savers in my opinion! I introduced eggs, milk and oysters to my diet and also Thyroid, B vitamins (energin) and some Estroban ADE&K from Ideal Labs along with pure collagen from Collagenx, which I have 10grams everyday to increase protein intake. These 2 brands appear to be at the top end of the market in purity and no excipients or upstream processing acids, which is also important. These things have made a huge difference for me persoanlly. Danny and Georgi did a podcats on the weekend which actually touched on dandruff, definately worth listening to.

Well you just started eating normally. Most meat diets would have helped you. Vegetarians are deficient in a lot of vitamins/minerals/amino acids.

Jeff Masters

Roger that! How ever I do see a lot of healthy vegetarians living into 80's and 90's who appear to be quite active. I subscribe to the Narual health society and read some amzing stories in there of vegans and vegetarians. But as suggested this didn't work for me.

OP
R

RPNewbie

Being a vegetarian requires a certain type of environment, mainly one that contains a lot of sun and not a lot of strenuous work.

What is your environment like? Are you in school or just graduate?
Hi,

I work full time in a sales role, requires me to meet new people constantly, I was unsure whether this could be linked to elevated stress levels?

Tarmander

Hi,

I work full time in a sales role, requires me to meet new people constantly, I was unsure whether this could be linked to elevated stress levels?
yeah sales is definitely stressful, depending on the pressures put on you