Losing Weight - Article Containing Hints From Ray Peat Via Functional PS

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit any comment? Thanks for the wordy posts; I'z rubizh.
You're welcome...I'm nothing if not wordy. ;)

I'm currently using Jarrow Alpha GPC. In general Jarrow seems to have pretty good supps. Dose is moderate...300mg/cap.

I love liver but don't crave it at the moment, or even feel like eating it so I guess I'm up to speed B12-wise.
I put it raw into my Ninja blender with some OJ and drink a liver smoothie. Not as gross as you'd think, although definitely gross enough. :yuck: I have a strong tolerance for yuck, though, so can drink it down without a problem. Little grimace at the bottom of the glass is all. ;) And I'm actually using it for the iron content because I was anemic for a long time. If I was worried about too much iron I would probably add some milk and coffee to the smoothie.

OP
Milena

Milena

I put it raw into my Ninja blender with some OJ and drink a liver smoothie. Not as gross as you'd think, although definitely gross enough. :yuck: I have a strong tolerance for yuck, though, so can drink it down without a problem. Little grimace at the bottom of the glass is all. ;) And I'm actually using it for the iron content because I was anemic for a long time. If I was worried about too much iron I would probably add some milk and coffee to the smoothie.

Hardcore!

Personally, I like seared liver, raw in the middle. I can't quite imagine needing it in a smoothie. My favourite smoothie, haven't made it in a couple of years, is baby spinach, banana and water. I still struggle a little with raw egg but I'm too lazy to clean pans :)
How much liver do you put in the OJ? (weirdo blend suggestion, too - OJ, liver, coffee and milk :sick:

beachbum

What daily dose of Taurine do you find most effective?
I just started using it Monday with 500mg then by Wednesday I upped it to 1000mg. I take the first half in the morning with food. Then the rest about 5 hours later. I also started taking casein, bacc, glycine, and tyrosine.

whodathunkit

Personally, I like seared liver, raw in the middle. I can't quite imagine needing it in a smoothie. My favourite smoothie, haven't made it in a couple of years, is baby spinach, banana and water. I still struggle a little with raw egg but I'm too lazy to clean pans :)
How much liver do you put in the OJ? (weirdo blend suggestion, too - OJ, liver, coffee and milk :sick:
I do it like this because I HATE LIVER. Cooked liver, at least. Doesn't bother me raw but the sight, smell, and taste of cooked leaves me stone cold. I do have a high tolerance for yuck but it has to be yuck that slides down easy and I can swallow it quick. Yuck that I have to masticate and mull over before it can go down...forget it. No. Can. Do.

So I would say to you that seared liver raw in the middle is infinitely more "hardcore" than my smoothie. Gah. Yer givin' me the willies just thinking about it. :nailbiting:

Haven't tried the coffee and milk thing yet. I still need the iron. But if I get to the point where iron overload is a concern, that might be how I do it. Or just drinking coffee and milk right before and right after would probably work better, now that I think about it.

I do Peat's suggestion of 0.25lbs per week. Too much liver definitely crashes my thyroid. I've tried it.

J

James IV

Here is my observation on weight loss. There is no way to consciously try and lose fat without damaging your body, and likely creating an environment for easier fat gain in the future. The only way to lose fat long term is to work on your health and wait for the bodyfat set point to lower naturally.
When you reach that point you can eat as much as you care for (of beneficial foods) and you will not gain bodyfat.
The older you are, and the more you have a history of restriction, the more difficult it will be to reach this level of health.

SQu

What daily dose of Taurine do you find most effective?

For myself it really makes little difference if I take a lot or a little. When I had capsules I would take 1-2 grams sometimes more. Now I have powder I take half a teaspoon. I usually only take at night though because of the sleepiness. On the other hand my husband will get ... I forget what exactly! Either diarrhea or cramps if he takes more than half a teaspoon, also at night. (Haven't done bigger doses for a while :oops:, forgotten ...)
I understand it this way: I know my gut is sluggish (chronic constipation and sometimes the feeling of food just sitting inert in my stomach after eating) so anything that tends to stimulate bile/acid like coffee at breakfast and taurine at night, is my friend. Whereas it seems what stimulates my digestion can go too far and irritate my husband's. He used to be prone to gastritis so ... I suppose more gelatin in his case would be a better match.

Here is my observation on weight loss. There is no way to consciously try and lose fat without damaging your body, and likely creating an environment for easier fat gain in the future. The only way to lose fat long term is to work on your health and wait for the bodyfat set point to lower naturally.
When you reach that point you can eat as much as you care for (of beneficial foods) and you will not gain bodyfat.
The older you are, and the more you have a history of restriction, the more difficult it will be to reach this level of health.

I kind of agree. I'm losing weight (long way to go but trend is down, another clothing size) without trying at all beyond keeping fat low and aiming for the highest nutrition. VLF has worked in the past and also stressed in the past. No time for that now, yet it's still heading in the right direction. This was not possible before.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals