Losing Significant Amount Of Hair

OP
B

Bash___

Not really hard to understand, if you've been undereating for a long time, you cannot expect to feel good by stuffing yourself for a few days. This will take several weeks/months. A lot of fine-tuning and slowly increasing the food intake and changing some things in your lifestyle. You have to find what works for you. Following the suggestions of people is unlikely to bring lasting relief. You need more calories, protein, and nutritious foods. Now what matters is implementing this plan in a way that works for you.
That makes sense. I'd be lying if I said i wasn't a little discouraged though. I'm feeling far more depressed than I did prior to adjusting my diet. And the addictional hair loss I've experienced is ever more distressing. Is this common?
Also, have you experienced hair loss yourself?

skittles

I find I get some noticeable hairfall if i get most of carbs from sugar and not enough starch. Especially in the winter. Too much starch comes with some other issues though, but it might be worth experimenting for a week or two eating bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, noodles, and less sugar.

MitchMitchell

I think I’m slowly moving away from the idea that hair loss is androgen driven and I’m siding with the idea that females have more protective hormones (progesterone AND estradiol). I’m going through a 20hr training with Rouzier right now and I’m going to quote him:

“what’s the hair-skin-nail hormone?”

(I’ll admit I thought GH or estradiol)

“Thyroid”

It makes sense though. There’s gonna be shedding of weak thin brittle hair just like any other drug such as Minoxidil. And then t3 directly acts on the follicle to produce stronger hair.

Thyroid hormones directly alter human hair follicle functions: anagen prolongation and stimulation of both hair matrix keratinocyte proliferation and hair pigmentation - PubMed

If more people knew what he knows regarding optimal t3 levels, more people would get that hypothyroidism is extraordinarily common. Teenagers have t3 levels that no one reaches in their adult age even with all the iodine selenium vitamins in the world... anyways, just pointing out that a lot of out of the box experts have been talking thyroid for a while and are pulling their own hair facing a mountain of passive aggressive resistance.

redsun

I gotcha, thank you for the tips.
I've never heard of drinking raw milk until reading these posts. Isn't it loaded with potentially harmful bacteria?
Also, have you had your own experience with hair loss? If so, are you able to halt and restore it with nutrition?

Yes raw milk is great if the source is great. You don't raw necessarily. But the most high quality organic milk at the source would be better. Yogurts and kefirs which are fermented are less problematic if you are worried about a truly raw dairy. Again, best quality if possible.

Yes I had my own experience with hair loss. It wasnt male pattern baldness, just a lot of shedding due to low calories, low protein and carbohydrates, and on top of that more stress.

Basically I became extremely diligent to get a ton of animal protein and carbohydrates (starches and sugars) to reduce catabolic hormones and allow my hair to have the fuel (glucose) and the raw material it needs (amino acids) to grow back. My protein was mostly meat, some dairyn, didnt eat eggs. I basically tried to get all the DVs in cronometer with the right foods and then after that just focused on the macros protein, and carbs. Protein was 150g+ a day, carbs 350g+. Worked like a charm. But your cronometer needs to be filled out on B-vitamins, and trace minerals zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, iron. A little iodine from iodized salt or seafood if you eat that. Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, etc. are important too but if you are eating correctly in order to get b vitamins and trace minerals the electrolytes should get easily covered.

It severely reduces any further hair loss...Then all you have to do is play the waiting game because it takes time for the follicles that have already shed to start back up again. If you have diffuse hair loss like how I had which is non-scarring (will grow back) then that's all that is and it will grow back assuming you get your nutrition in order.

OP
B

Bash___

I find I get some noticeable hairfall if i get most of carbs from sugar and not enough starch. Especially in the winter. Too much starch comes with some other issues though, but it might be worth experimenting for a week or two eating bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, noodles, and less sugar.
Thanks for the tips. I've recently started eating potatoes and considering gluten free pasta like ones made of red lentils, or chickpeas

OP
B

Bash___

I think I’m slowly moving away from the idea that hair loss is androgen driven and I’m siding with the idea that females have more protective hormones (progesterone AND estradiol). I’m going through a 20hr training with Rouzier right now and I’m going to quote him:

“Thyroid”

It makes sense though. There’s gonna be shedding of weak thin brittle hair just like any other drug such as Minoxidil. And then t3 directly acts on the follicle to produce stronger hair.

Thyroid hormones directly alter human hair follicle functions: anagen prolongation and stimulation of both hair matrix keratinocyte proliferation and hair pigmentation - PubMed

If more people knew what he knows regarding optimal t3 levels, more people would get that hypothyroidism is extraordinarily common. Teenagers have t3 levels that no one reaches in their adult age even with all the iodine selenium vitamins in the world... anyways, just pointing out that a lot of out of the box experts have been talking thyroid for a while and are pulling their own hair facing a mountain of passive aggressive resistance.
Interesting.

“Thyroid”

Interesting. So do you think one would have to supplement thyroid, or would regrowth be possible with nutrition and environmental changes alone?

PaRa

“Thyroid”

Could be (some cases of) mpb because of low iron leading to hypothyroid state ?
Some correlation :

High dairy consumption (ie. western style) lowers iron absorption (same with wheat ofc)

More balding people in western style countries

Women have more estrogen than men so better iron absorption so less likely to have low iron and anemia

What about giving iron a try ? There is copper to that is important tho

OP
B

Bash___

Yes raw milk is great if the source is great. You don't raw necessarily. But the most high quality organic milk at the source would be better. Yogurts and kefirs which are fermented are less problematic if you are worried about a truly raw dairy. Again, best quality if possible.

Yes I had my own experience with hair loss. It wasnt male pattern baldness, just a lot of shedding due to low calories, low protein and carbohydrates, and on top of that more stress.

Basically I became extremely diligent to get a ton of animal protein and carbohydrates (starches and sugars) to reduce catabolic hormones and allow my hair to have the fuel (glucose) and the raw material it needs (amino acids) to grow back. My protein was mostly meat, some dairyn, didnt eat eggs. I basically tried to get all the DVs in cronometer with the right foods and then after that just focused on the macros protein, and carbs. Protein was 150g+ a day, carbs 350g+. Worked like a charm. But your cronometer needs to be filled out on B-vitamins, and trace minerals zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, iron. A little iodine from iodized salt or seafood if you eat that. Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, etc. are important too but if you are eating correctly in order to get b vitamins and trace minerals the electrolytes should get easily covered.

It severely reduces any further hair loss...Then all you have to do is play the waiting game because it takes time for the follicles that have already shed to start back up again. If you have diffuse hair loss like how I had which is non-scarring (will grow back) then that's all that is and it will grow back assuming you get your nutrition in order.
I wish I could do dairy. I've tried kefir recently and suffered bloating instantly. Same with organic 2%, and whole milk. I think my excessive shedding started after drinking milk daily too. I havent had any bloating since. I think im experiencing less shedding though. A strange symptom I've been feeling and am currently feeling is a cold sensation on my scalp. It feels like poor circulation in very specific points. Have you felt this before?
How did you know what you were experiencing wasnt MPB? I used to only get some shedding on my hairline and edges, but now I've noticed it's all across my crown. FML.
I've bern slowly increasing my nutrition all across the board. Cronometer is a huge help. My digestion is messing things up yet again. For the past three days, no matter what I eat or drink, I feel extremely heavy right after. It's like a lightheadedness. Do you have an idea why this could be happening?

OP
B

Bash___

Some correlation :

High dairy consumption (ie. western style) lowers iron absorption (same with wheat ofc)

Women have more estrogen than men so better iron absorption so less likely to have low iron and anemia

Nah my iron is solid according to my hemoglobin. I was never much of a dairy person to begin with and I've always had iron rich meals in the past

redsun

I wish I could do dairy. I've tried kefir recently and suffered bloating instantly. Same with organic 2%, and whole milk. I think my excessive shedding started after drinking milk daily too. I havent had any bloating since. I think im experiencing less shedding though. A strange symptom I've been feeling and am currently feeling is a cold sensation on my scalp. It feels like poor circulation in very specific points. Have you felt this before?
How did you know what you were experiencing wasnt MPB? I used to only get some shedding on my hairline and edges, but now I've noticed it's all across my crown. FML.
I've bern slowly increasing my nutrition all across the board. Cronometer is a huge help. My digestion is messing things up yet again. For the past three days, no matter what I eat or drink, I feel extremely heavy right after. It's like a lightheadedness. Do you have an idea why this could be happening?

I had zero recession and loss of hair at the crown which is what MPB is. Just the entire top of the scalp thinned out (loss of hairs decreasing density). Circulation problems may be more in line with the pathology of what causes MPB. Telogen effluvium (hair loss of the scalp, what I had basically) is not the same.

MitchMitchell

I’ve thought of iron too and it can be a factor of course but hypothyroidism is super complex and virtually every kind of sub clinical deficiency in some sort of mineral ought to yield sub clinical hypothyroidism

whether dairy or steak or whatever throws things off balance idk, it is near impossible to fine tune & when I look at results from endos who deliver t3 in proper dosages while not giving too much of a damn about diet... I think hormones prevail

OP
B

Bash___

I had zero recession and loss of hair at the crown which is what MPB is. Just the entire top of the scalp thinned out (loss of hairs decreasing density). Circulation problems may be more in line with the pathology of what causes MPB. Telogen effluvium (hair loss of the scalp, what I had basically) is not the same.
Oof. Doesn't sound like it's looking good for my hair I'm guessing. If MPB is whats going on, no matter how well my nutrition is it won't reverse it?

MitchMitchell

Interesting.

Interesting. So do you think one would have to supplement thyroid, or would regrowth be possible with nutrition and environmental changes alone?

you need a perfect diet to get nice and high free t3 levels I believe. That would be the most sustainable healthiest way to go.

But it seems that getting free t3 in the 5-7 range (normal being 2-4.5) makes Rouzier’s patients very happy.

redsun

Oof. Doesn't sound like it's looking good for my hair I'm guessing. If MPB is whats going on, no matter how well my nutrition is it won't reverse it?

Uh no that is a very incorrect way to think. The early you catch it the better your hair will be. But you eat better not just for hair, but for health as a whole. I don't know what causes MPB but circulation may be involved so nutrients involved with blood vessel and circulatory health may help such as B2, copper, zinc, vitamin c, vitamin A, omega 3, vitamin E.

Doesnt matter what type of hair loss, protein is still very vital for the hair to be healthy.

redsun

Some correlation :

Women have much lower iron then men actually but copper is more dominant in women.

OP
B

Bash___

Uh no that is a very incorrect way to think. The early you catch it the better your hair will be. But you eat better not just for hair, but for health as a whole. I don't know what causes MPB but circulation may be involved so nutrients involved with blood vessel and circulatory health may help such as B2, copper, zinc, vitamin c, vitamin A, omega 3, vitamin E.

Doesnt matter what type of hair loss, protein is still very vital for the hair to be healthy.
I gotcha, thank you for that.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you know so much about nutrition?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals