Losing Significant Amount Of Hair

Bash___

Hello everyone, this will be my first time posting on any forum on the internet ever. I am 27 years, I have a history of asthma, depression, and pain in the joints. I feel this information my be necessary considering this is a health related discussion board. Over the past 2 months I have been consistently following guidelines for "pro-hair nutrition" outlined by Danny Roddy (80-100g protein daily consistenting of mainly animal meats as well as dairy and collagen, a favorable calcium/phosphate ration, amd greatly reducing pufa consumption) with some interesting results in unexpected areas such as deeper sleep, reduced pain in the joints (though still moderately stiff) and reduced, if not eliminated my acid reflux altogether.
At first I began noticing that I was not experiencing as much hair fall as I normally would on a day to day basis, which was amazing due to strugglijg with it since turning 23, but over the past 10 days seemingly out of nowhere my hair has been falling out more rapidly than ever. I have also noticed that my stress has increased drastically, but whether or not the stress came before the hair loss I can not say for sure.
I have also been tracking my nutrition on chronometer and have had blood work taken recently which I'll upload below. If anyone can give me some of their thoughts on what may be happening, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you!
Screenshot_20201118_161701_com.cronometer.android.gold.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_161706_com.cronometer.android.gold.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_161712_com.cronometer.android.gold.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_161724_com.cronometer.android.gold.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_162115.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_162228.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_162244.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_162257.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_162320.jpg
Screenshot_20201118_162333.jpg

Arnold Grape

Can you contact Danny? I know that he used to do consultations, but I would send him this information and see where he steers you. It could be a matter of rushing out of the gates too quickly by adapting everything at once. If you’re experiencing stress, I would address specifically where that is coming from. Is eating causing you stress? Are you eating enough? Are other lifestyle items stressing you out?

Also, be careful with supplements because if your joints are currently aching, then that is telling me something. Also, try to enjoy the food that you’re eating. If some of the Danny-approved foods do not sit well with you, ditch them. If you don’t like the taste of something you ingest, get rid of it. That is one of the miraculous gifts of Ray Peat imo, is that he encourages you to truly listen to your body and make adjustments based on how you are feeling. Take deep breaths, relax, and try to imagine: everything is going to be okay.

OP
B

Bash___

Can you contact Danny? I know that he used to do consultations, but I would send him this information and see where he steers you. It could be a matter of rushing out of the gates too quickly by adapting everything at once. If you’re experiencing stress, I would address specifically where that is coming from. Is eating causing you stress? Are you eating enough? Are other lifestyle items stressing you out?

Also, be careful with supplements because if your joints are currently aching, then that is telling me something. Also, try to enjoy the food that you’re eating. If some of the Danny-approved foods do not sit well with you, ditch them. If you don’t like the taste of something you ingest, get rid of it. That is one of the miraculous gifts of Ray Peat imo, is that he encourages you to truly listen to your body and make adjustments based on how you are feeling. Take deep breaths, relax, and try to imagine: everything is going to be okay.
Thank you for taking the time out to read my post, Arnold!
I would definitely like to speak to Danny, but I'm not sure if he's doing consultations at the moment because all the options that he has up on his Patreon are sold out.
Luckily, I'm enjoying eating much more than I have in a long time and I've even gained weight since implementing some new things which is a positive change for me.
Despite these positive outcomes that I've experienced so far, I'm losing hair even more rapidly than I have in the past. I honestly haven't considered how changing so many aspects of my diet could stress my body, could that be a factor in my increased hair loss?
Thank you for your important and support!

mrchibbs

Thank you for taking the time out to read my post, Arnold!
I would definitely like to speak to Danny, but I'm not sure if he's doing consultations at the moment because all the options that he has up on his Patreon are sold out.
Luckily, I'm enjoying eating much more than I have in a long time and I've even gained weight since implementing some new things which is a positive change for me.
Despite these positive outcomes that I've experienced so far, I'm losing hair even more rapidly than I have in the past. I honestly haven't considered how changing so many aspects of my diet could stress my body, could that be a factor in my increased hair loss?
Thank you for your important and support!

I would recommend reaching out to danny through his email nonetheless, he may be able to help you out anyway. I sent you his email by pm.

mrchibbs

I would also note that it is the worst time of year for hair. Shortest days of the year and very limited light exposure and next to no UVB unless you live in sunny places. Everyone sheds a lot from November-January.

Vitamin D could be a problem, in fact, it often is the core problem. In my experience it's impossible to regrow hair if vitamin D levels are not optimal. In the summer that also means exposing your scalp to the sun, as the hair follicles interact with the vitamin D receptors, and this also helps reduce hair cortisol levels.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see a vitamin D serum level test in your panel, I would get that soon. Taking something like a little cyproheptadine or aspirin at night can help compensate for the stress responses during the night, which is worse at this time of year.

redsun

Hello everyone, this will be my first time posting on any forum on the internet ever. I am 27 years, I have a history of asthma, depression, and pain in the joints. I feel this information my be necessary considering this is a health related discussion board. Over the past 2 months I have been consistently following guidelines for "pro-hair nutrition" outlined by Danny Roddy (80-100g protein daily consistenting of mainly animal meats as well as dairy and collagen, a favorable calcium/phosphate ration, amd greatly reducing pufa consumption) with some interesting results in unexpected areas such as deeper sleep, reduced pain in the joints (though still moderately stiff) and reduced, if not eliminated my acid reflux altogether.
At first I began noticing that I was not experiencing as much hair fall as I normally would on a day to day basis, which was amazing due to strugglijg with it since turning 23, but over the past 10 days seemingly out of nowhere my hair has been falling out more rapidly than ever. I have also noticed that my stress has increased drastically, but whether or not the stress came before the hair loss I can not say for sure.
I have also been tracking my nutrition on chronometer and have had blood work taken recently which I'll upload below. If anyone can give me some of their thoughts on what may be happening, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you! View attachment 20265 View attachment 20266 View attachment 20267 View attachment 20268 View attachment 20269 View attachment 20272 View attachment 20273 View attachment 20274 View attachment 20275 View attachment 20276

If this about how you eat in a day, then just letting you know it will be impossible for the hair to grow back at this rate. Many B vitamins are lacking or barely there, especially niacin which is arguably the most important one is low. B6 as well barely there, super important for protein synthesis. Folate is low. Folate is vital for cell reproduction and hair. Vitamin C as well.

Mineral intake is decent but it needs to be better done if you want regrowth. In general for regrowth the diet needs to go well over the daily needs of the body to even give your hair a chance to regrow. Barely adequate nutrition will just lead to your health continuing to spiral downward and your hair likely will worsen as well. But the good news is it doesn't have to be this way and you can get regrowth quickly if you get on the ball and eat better.

Protein and carbs is lowish. Your hair is literally made of proteins so if you wanted it to grow properly and prevent further hair loss, going higher in protein will help. 120g at least. A good portion of this as red meat will help provided other needed nutrients for hair besides amino acids, such as B vitamins and zinc.

Carbs are low, should be 250-300g for most people. If you are very small 200g may be enough but otherwise you need more. This will raise the thyroid and lower cortisol which will help you keep your hair.

Based on your cronometer, whatever it is your eating is mostly not really high in nutrients.

Whole foods based diet will help raise the nutrient density of your diet much higher and allow the hair to come back.

Emphasis should be fresh (non-processed) meats like beef, chicken, pork, seafood, some good quality dairy (no need to go over the top, all that calcium is not going to do much), organic eggs if possible. Starches like potatoes, rice if you can tolerate them are great in providing more nutrients in the diet. Fruits, especially some tropical fruits (pineapple, kiwi, orange, etc) as tropical ones are higher in nutrients like vitamin C, and important minerals like manganese and copper while still providing sugar.

Usually copper helps joint pain, so potatoes, dark chocolate, but especially liver which is very high in copper can help joint pain. Liver is a powerhouse for many important nutrients as well so it will help you in many ways. Restrict refined sugars and focus on whole food carbs from starch and fruits especially early on as nutrient-devoid foods delay healing and recovery.

Collagen supplementation is basically pointless, and your protein needs are far better served from meat, eggs, dairy. You can eat collagenous meat from animals occasionally instead of using collagen. Whole foods are always better than refined.

OP
B

Bash___

I would also note that it is the worst time of year for hair. Shortest days of the year and very limited light exposure and next to no UVB unless you live in sunny places. Everyone sheds a lot from November-January.

Vitamin D could be a problem, in fact, it often is the core problem. In my experience it's impossible to regrow hair if vitamin D levels are not optimal. In the summer that also means exposing your scalp to the sun, as the hair follicles interact with the vitamin D receptors, and this also helps reduce hair cortisol levels.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see a vitamin D serum level test in your panel, I would get that soon. Taking something like a little cyproheptadine or aspirin at night can help compensate for the stress responses during the night, which is worse at this time of year.
Thank you for your input, and Danny's email. Ill reach out to him as soon as I get my thoughts together after these replies.
My doctor is a massive pain in the **** and had me jump through hoops in order to get him to fill out the scripts for bloodwork, in the end he didnt even order the vitamin D test. Safe to say I don't plan and seeing him anymore.
I'll consider aspirin for the night time, but I am a little wary about doing so at the moment. Nevertheless, thank you!

mrchibbs

Thank you for your input, and Danny's email. Ill reach out to him as soon as I get my thoughts together after these replies.
My doctor is a massive pain in the **** and had me jump through hoops in order to get him to fill out the scripts for bloodwork, in the end he didnt even order the vitamin D test. Safe to say I don't plan and seeing him anymore.
I'll consider aspirin for the night time, but I am a little wary about doing so at the moment. Nevertheless, thank you!

No problem, good luck with it! Vitamin D is crucial, so take care of that asap though. I try to get aspirin powder, and add it to a glass along with 1/2 tsp of baking soda and cover with 1 inch of boiling water, let it dissolve and then fill the glass with OJ or whatever beverage you want. It will make you feel very good.

OP
B

Bash___

If this about how you eat in a day, then just letting you know it will be impossible for the hair to grow back at this rate. Many B vitamins are lacking or barely there, especially niacin which is arguably the most important one is low. B6 as well barely there, super important for protein synthesis. Folate is low. Folate is vital for cell reproduction and hair. Vitamin C as well.

Mineral intake is decent but it needs to be better done if you want regrowth. In general for regrowth the diet needs to go well over the daily needs of the body to even give your hair a chance to regrow. Barely adequate nutrition will just lead to your health continuing to spiral downward and your hair likely will worsen as well. But the good news is it doesn't have to be this way and you can get regrowth quickly if you get on the ball and eat better.

Protein and carbs is lowish. Your hair is literally made of proteins so if you wanted it to grow properly and prevent further hair loss, going higher in protein will help. 120g at least. A good portion of this as red meat will help provided other needed nutrients for hair besides amino acids, such as B vitamins and zinc.

Carbs are low, should be 250-300g for most people. If you are very small 200g may be enough but otherwise you need more. This will raise the thyroid and lower cortisol which will help you keep your hair.

Based on your cronometer, whatever it is your eating is mostly not really high in nutrients.

Whole foods based diet will help raise the nutrient density of your diet much higher and allow the hair to come back.

Emphasis should be fresh (non-processed) meats like beef, chicken, pork, seafood, some good quality dairy (no need to go over the top, all that calcium is not going to do much), organic eggs if possible. Starches like potatoes, rice if you can tolerate them are great in providing more nutrients in the diet. Fruits, especially some tropical fruits (pineapple, kiwi, orange, etc) as tropical ones are higher in nutrients like vitamin C, and important minerals like manganese and copper while still providing sugar.

Usually copper helps joint pain, so potatoes, dark chocolate, but especially liver which is very high in copper can help joint pain. Liver is a powerhouse for many important nutrients as well so it will help you in many ways. Restrict refined sugars and focus on whole food carbs from starch and fruits especially early on as nutrient-devoid foods delay healing and recovery.

Collagen supplementation is basically pointless, and your protein needs are far better served from meat, eggs, dairy. You can eat collagenous meat from animals occasionally instead of using collagen. Whole foods are always better than refined.
Thank you for taking the time out to provide me with all this information, it gives me something tangible to work towards.
I occasionally have issues with my digestion, like bloating, inflammation, nausea, and as of recently, constipation. This tends to limit my intake for a few days, but I'm still learning how to mitigate these symptoms.
I'll keep all this in mind moving forward, thank you so much for your input!

OP
B

Bash___

No problem, good luck with it! Vitamin D is crucial, so take care of that asap though. I try to get aspirin powder, and add it to a glass along with 1/2 tsp of baking soda and cover with 1 inch of boiling water, let it dissolve and then fill the glass with OJ or whatever beverage you want. It will make you feel very good.
Interesting... What exactly is the purpose of drinking that??

Peatful

Daily calories are at 1802?

Am I reading that correctly?

if not- what is your general daily caloric intake?

mrchibbs

Interesting... What exactly is the purpose of drinking that??

The baking soda helps to dissolve the aspirin, and is great for other reasons as well. When done this way, the aspirin is asborbed much better, especially after a meal.

OP
B

Bash___

Daily calories are at 1802?

Am I reading that correctly?

if not- what is your general daily caloric intake?
Yeah, unfortunately that's on a good day. Anywhere between 1200-1800. My digestion isn't the best and affects how much I feel comfortable eating. I actually didn't notice how it restricted my calories until getting on this forum and tracking with chronometer

OP
B

Bash___

The baking soda helps to dissolve the aspirin, and is great for other reasons as well. When done this way, the aspirin is asborbed much better, especially after a meal.
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but why would one take aspirin after a meal? Does this help digestion?

mrchibbs

It's just asborbed easier and seems to help the digestion of the meal, yes.

mrchibbs

Yeah, unfortunately that's on a good day. Anywhere between 1200-1800. My digestion isn't the best and affects how much I feel comfortable eating. I actually didn't notice how it restricted my calories until getting on this forum and tracking with chronometer

I feel like your situation is the exact reason why Ray Peat talks about milk/orange juice. They're simple ways to get calories in. Tablespoons of coconut oil can help too, as it is quickly turned into energy.

I would really try to drink a lot of milk and juice. It can be hard to find milk that's easy on your digestion, and most OJ is pretty terrible, but you can find options if you look hard enough. Personally, I've settled on a local source of milk and apple juice to ensure regular supply of calories/nutrients.

Peatful

That answers your question then regarding hair fall.
Your malnourished.
You have down regulated your metabolism and hair is a non-essential; hence the loss.

The men of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment were fit and healthy eating 3200 calories a day going into the project. At starvation they were restricted to 1600 a day.

Eat well and robustly consistently - and in about six months you will see quite a difference in your hair.
You are young- you can bounce back quickly with proper nourishment and calories; but that’s essential.

mrchibbs

Your malnourished.
You have down regulated your metabolism and hair is a non-essential; hence the loss.

The men of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment were fit and healthy eating 3200 calories a day going into the project. At starvation they were restricted to 1600 a day.

Eat well and robustly consistently - and in about six months you will see quite a difference in your hair.
You are young- you can bounce back quickly with proper nourishment and calories; but that’s essential.

+1

The challenge is working back up to that level of food intake without causing gut distress. It needs to be a gradual process, and this is where thinks like aspirin, niacinamide and cyproheptadine can help that process, at least in small doses.

OP
B

Bash___

I feel like your situation is the exact reason why Ray Peat talks about milk/orange juice. They're simple ways to get calories in. Tablespoons of coconut oil can help too, as it is quickly turned into energy.

I would really try to drink a lot of milk and juice. It can be hard to find milk that's easy on your digestion, and most OJ is pretty terrible, but you can find options if you look hard enough. Personally, I've settled on a local source of milk and apple juice to ensure regular supply of calories/nutrients.

Thank you for the tips! Ive been having trouble with the OJ ive been trying, but apple cider seems to agree with me. Im gonna look out for different brands of milk too as the ones I've tried are pretty much hit or miss

OP
B

Bash___

Your malnourished.

Thank you so much! Ive surpassed 2000 calories on both saturday and sunday and even got close to 3000 on the former. I felt energized and grounded for most of the day on sunday, which is a rarity for me. I'll be making small adjustments as i definitely wont be able to maintain that kind of intake regularly just yet

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals