Losing Hair On My Left Leg Lol!

Discussion in 'Hair & Nails' started by Rolan, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Rolan

Rolan Member

So the hair on me left leg, around the calf, has gotten a little patchy. Right leg is fine, hair everywhere is good.

Any of the lads on here had similar experience? Guessing low thyroid. Feel pretty fine all round otherwise.

2. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Wearing just one sock? :lol:

[​IMG]

3. Ingenol

Ingenol Member

I have this as well on both legs. I believe it's related to high estrogen and thus, stress.

4. OP
    Rolan

Rolan Member

Hmm, It's weird how one thing indicates something, when I don't feel stressed even slightly right now. It literally is just my left calf, hair everywhere else including head is super thick.

Maybe need to add a few things in, cut out the bacon.

5. OP
    Rolan

Rolan Member

:(

:lol:

6. OP
    Rolan

Rolan Member

you think there's anyway it can grow back?

7. pboy

pboy Member

A couple years ago when I was eating strictly vegan, I begin losing weight unknowingly and after a while (a year or so) I had lost like 15 - 20 pounds by accident, and when the winter hit that year I really noticed it because I was perpetually cold. Also, the hair on my legs around the ankle and calf was thinning, and patchy in spots. After about 2 months of adding back in dairy and eggs, I had normalized my weight and all the hair grew back normally.

So yes, it can definitely and easily grow back. Make sure you're eating enough, have enough iodine, and sunlight helps also

8. Ingenol

Ingenol Member

Mine hasn't really grown back at all in ~8 months of Peat, so I'm not sure.

9. unexamined_whimsy

unexamined_whimsy Member

Hair loss on the outer calf is a sign of inadequate testosterone level. In hypothyroidism the level of testosterone is low, particularly total testosterone. Assuming everything else is OK, a few months of good thyroid function (as measured by basal body temperature) makes hair grow back.

However, in those prone to excess conversion of testosterone to estrogen, for example, due to too much adiposity or inflammation, increasing thyroid can sometimes lead to the estrogen level elevating even further. In such cases one needs to quell estrogen concomitant with thyroid supplementation.

10. OP
    Rolan

Rolan Member

Yah, but my test seems absolutely fine. I wake up with a raging boner every morning, then randomly throughout the day. My lifts are good, feel strong, warm etc. Since I never had this issue before, I cannot see how Peating has lowered my test.

I do think I'm prone to estrogen imabalance though, since I have very mild gyno

11. unexamined_whimsy

unexamined_whimsy Member

Lifters generally have above average levels of testosterone, mutatis mutandis, because of increased muscle tissue. If you are 'prone to gyno it's fairly certain that your testosterone is aromatizing to estrogen. Low testosterone and high estrogen are nearly synonymous.

12. OP
    Rolan

Rolan Member

By synonomous do you mean they are easily mistaken for the other?

I feel fairly certain I have estrogen imbalance. Gyno isn't THAT bad, but it's where I store fat easily. I'm just not sure what else I can do to rectify it, I have minimal, and I mean minimal PUFA intake.

13. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

I think he means synonymous as in they go hand in hand. So if you have low testosterone, you likely have high estrogen.

14. unexamined_whimsy

unexamined_whimsy Member

Synonymous, just like 4peatssake clarified.

The thing with PUFA is that even after eliminating it, it takes about 4 years to leave the body.

The first stage of estrogen dominance in men is a so-called pseudo gyno that fluctuates sometimes from day to day in its severity depending on the state of your digestive system, stress etc. I think at the first sign of estrogen dominance one should consider measures to quell it. If increasing dietary fiber (carrot,bamboo), thyroid or aspirin work for you that's fine, but often they worsen symptoms and not just temporarily. In Peat's bouquet of supplements only progesterone seems to be a surefire way of reducing estrogen. The caveat being that Ray thinks it can diminish testosterone. And by that I think by that he really means DHT.

15. OP
    Rolan

Rolan Member

I can see how aspirin may worsen symptoms, but dietary fibre? I eat a raw carrot daily, plus a fair bit of potatoe and I have no obvious digestive issues, and infact haven't since I reduced starch down to once a day in the form of potatoes. I have to say that the leg hair loss and poor skin have only arrived(or departed as is the case with my left leg hair) since I've been Peating. Which specifically means much more sugar and dairy, and less Starch.

Thanks for answering me to, I'm still a noob in dietary science.

16. Peata

Peata Member

I've read that thinning body hair or losing patches of hair like that is from low thyroid.

17. unexamined_whimsy

unexamined_whimsy Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant that thyroid and aspirin may worsen estrogenic symptoms.

18. unexamined_whimsy

unexamined_whimsy Member

Since the thyroid orchestrates the endocrinal system I'm not surprised by the association.

19. Peata

Peata Member

Can you point the way to info about aspirin worsening estrogen symptoms? RP seems to think it's a great anti-estrogen. I'm still learning though. Thanks.

20. unexamined_whimsy

unexamined_whimsy Member

I don't have any references that show that aspirin increases estrogen. I speak fron experience and given that aspirin mimics the effect of thyroid. This was shown by studies done in the 50s. Hyperthyroidism is associated with high estrogen and gynecomastia in men. If the overall metabolic rate is low, thyroid tends to increase SHBG too high. In order to compensate for the lowered free testosterone the body increases its synthesis of testosterone. Increased testosterone levels lead to high estrogen levels due to aromatization.

Also, given a very long history of aspirin use it hasn't been touted for it's 'weight loss' - read diuretic properties. All potent anti estrogens tend to result in a relatively immediate release of significant water-weight that masquerades as fat. I think aspirin is an anti estrogen in the same qualified sense as thyroid.

It may very well be that aspirin protecs some or all parts of the body against the detrimental effects of estrogen. There are indications that aspirin use is associated with a lower risk of breast cancer, for instance.