Losing all hope here. Dandruff fiasco

Sphagnum

I’ve been eating super clean for the past three weeks. White rice/white potatoes with ground beef and white kidney beans/vegetables and my dandruff has been TERRIBLE. Maybe it’s the copious amounts of starch
For me, the amylose content of a starch has a direct connection to dandruff.

If I eat a starch with little to no amylose, such as sticky rice or small waxy potatoes, I’m fine and don’t get flakes.
If I eat a starch with normal amylose levels, such as regular white rice or regular potatoes, beans, quinoa, or basically any grains, I get itching not long after ingestion and flakes the next day.

Sticky rice has been a lifesaver for me because I can still get the starch my body craves while not having to trade off for scalp flare ups.

Sphagnum

I’ve found salt water to clear things up some as well. The drawbacks are that if you have hair you’re trying to maintain, regular use will kind of wreck it (makes the follicles dried out and break easily,) and that the mechanism behind the saltwater relief seems more inhibitory than curative in my experience.

If I eat a starch with little to no amylose, such as sticky rice or small waxy potatoes, I’m fine and don’t get flakes.
If I eat a starch with normal amylose levels, such as regular white rice or regular potatoes, beans, quinoa, or basically any grains, I get itching not long after ingestion and flakes the next day.

Sticky rice has been a lifesaver for me because I can still get the starch my body craves while not having to trade off for scalp flare ups.
Maybe switch to sprouted grains and give yourself more choices.

Sphagnum

Maybe switch to sprouted grains and give yourself more choices.
I’ve tried sprouting a few things (brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa [einkorn wheat but I failed]) and while they were digestively a better alternative, they offered no relief as far as dandruff goes. I steamed most of them, though, so maybe boiling with it higher rate of gelatinization could improve upon it further. I’m wary to try, though, because I have long hair and getting things cleaned and back to baseline can take a while to the point I have to schedule around it.

I’ve tried sprouting a few things (brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa [einkorn wheat but I failed]) and while they were digestively a better alternative, they offered no relief as far as dandruff goes. I steamed most of them, though, so maybe boiling with it higher rate of gelatinization could improve upon it further. I’m wary to try, though, because I have long hair and getting things cleaned and back to baseline can take a while to the point I have to schedule around it.
I wish had another suggestion for you :/

yashi

Mct oil is working i get 24-36 hours of relief but i am discovering its a permanent TREATMENT. not a cure unfortunately.
Long time seb derm sufferer here as well. MCT oil works temporarily, but I've also found that squalane oil helps even better temporarily. I just use literally a pea-sized amount rubbed into my hands and then onto my face after showering and it keeps the skin from drying out and flaking post-shower pretty well. I use so little that my skin does not look oily after that, even less so than MCT oil. Squalane oil feels a little bit "thicker" than MCT oil and apparently is a substance also contained in the natural human sebum. The one I use is derived from olive oil.

I am also starting to suspect cheese as well, as another poster here has mentioned. Things like parmesan, gruyer, emmentaler, etc. I am not sure if it's the calcium or the vitamin A yet. I also noticed some headaches a day after eating cheese. I seem to be able to tolerate cream and butter fine though.

I am still torn about starch vs sugar, or if they matter at all. Too much of either doesn't seem to go well. But I had a very good few weeks that I almost only ate meat (beef and chicken) with cream sauce (made of just a bit of pan drippings and cream and black pepper) and after that ice cream to satiety. I even lost a few pounds in that time (about 2-3 weeks I did that) and it was pretty enjoyable. Maybe I'll try that again and see if it works again. But first will give the no-cheese thing a try and see how it goes (trying low calcium basically for a little bit, as I suspect my whole d3/calcium/vitamin A system can't take the calcium right now).

Sphagnum

I wish had another suggestion for you :/
I appreciate it all none the less. I'm finding different things to add to the rice to keep it from getting too boring, and on the up side it does cook faster than regular rice.

I've found that there are many other "waxy" (no amylose) versions of starch foods besides the rice and potatoes, but they are hard to come by in the US outside of a commercial order. The one thing I was able to find retail was waxy corn, but it comes in packages with no English writing which I'm not so keen on.

Summer

I appreciate it all none the less. I'm finding different things to add to the rice to keep it from getting too boring, and on the up side it does cook faster than regular rice.

I've found that there are many other "waxy" (no amylose) versions of starch foods besides the rice and potatoes, but they are hard to come by in the US outside of a commercial order. The one thing I was able to find retail was waxy corn, but it comes in packages with no English writing which I'm not so keen on.
Is the rice you’re eating sushi rice?

Pardon the messed up quote.

I just avoid it most of the time so I don’t have to much good things to say on the subject.

Sphagnum

Is the rice you’re eating sushi rice?

Pardon the messed up quote.
No, because I emailed Lundberg (since they are a big rice producer/supplier) and they said sushi rice isn’t quite sticky rice and still has some amylose. That was a disappointment because they sell their white sushi rice bulk, but their bulk sticky rice is only in brown.

I’m lucky in that there is an Asian grocer across the street from me that sells probably 10 or so different brands of sticky rice. I want to find a good affordable bulk source though, preferably organic.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I know I have said this before but I now believe I have officially cured my ailment.

after trying every single vitamin and mineral separately high dosage and herbs and diets. Only one conclusion has come to mind. dandruff is pathogen born.

well Of course! the data shows anti fungals work ! Unless they don’t. And that’s where everyone forgets one thing. bacteria. My friends after using topical anti septics over and over my dandruff is gone ! I used it all over my body. I don’t need to do it everyday. In fact not sure if I need to do it again. Gone 3 days without application.

I theorize if antifungal don’t work for you. Then ur issue is bacteria. time to enjoy life and this summer to the fullest.

I know I have said this before but I now believe I have officially cured my ailment.

after trying every single vitamin and mineral separately high dosage and herbs and diets. Only one conclusion has come to mind. dandruff is pathogen born.

well Of course! the data shows anti fungals work ! Unless they don’t. And that’s where everyone forgets one thing. bacteria. My friends after using topical anti septics over and over my dandruff is gone ! I used it all over my body. I don’t need to do it everyday. In fact not sure if I need to do it again. Gone 3 days without application.

I theorize if antifungal don’t work for you. Then ur issue is bacteria. time to enjoy life and this summer to the fullest.
It seems like some summer days at the beach swimming in the salty ocean with the sun on the scalp should be a good cure!

Ben.

Awsome! What anti septics did you use? And idk but many antifungals work against bacteria and vice versa.

yashi

Chlorexedine gluconate topical
What product did you use? Did you use it in the shower and rinsed after a few minutes or how long did you leave it on? Was the scaling/dandruff gone right away? What about readness? Was there alcohol in the product? Was it dog shampoo (I either find dog shampoo or mouth washs with that ingredient)?
Most mouthwashes with that ingredient say to use it for a few days or infection in mouth can come back. So keep us posted on the longer term effects. As we all know seb derm is tricky and can be good for a while and then come back and suddenly the old treatments don't work anymore.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

What product did you use? Did you use it in the shower and rinsed after a few minutes or how long did you leave it on? Was the scaling/dandruff gone right away? What about readness? Was there alcohol in the product? Was it dog shampoo (I either find dog shampoo or mouth washs with that ingredient)?
Most mouthwashes with that ingredient say to use it for a few days or infection in mouth can come back. So keep us posted on the longer term effects. As we all know seb derm is tricky and can be good for a while and then come back and suddenly the old treatments don't work anymore.
Hibiclens solution product.

In the shower.

Just reporting in to say I am free. So free been living my life to the fullest. Thanks to all the science and knowledge the internet this forum has had to offer my testosterone levels are up 60%. At age 30 compared to age 27. My complexion. Phenomenal. My back acne gone. My dandruff cured. My IBD never came back ever again for years zero drugs.

The biggest takeaway from all this is never to give up. No matter what. I knew that my obsession would pay off. And it has. Been dandruff free for 12 days. That’s the longest I have ever been dandruff free and I am not even constantly applying.

Summer

In the shower.

Just reporting in to say I am free. So free been living my life to the fullest. Thanks to all the science and knowledge the internet this forum has had to offer my testosterone levels are up 60%. At age 30 compared to age 27. My complexion. Phenomenal. My back acne gone. My dandruff cured. My IBD never came back ever again for years zero drugs.

The biggest takeaway from all this is never to give up. No matter what. I knew that my obsession would pay off. And it has. Been dandruff free for 12 days. That’s the longest I have ever been dandruff free and I am not even constantly applying.
That’s great to hear. Did you use the foam or the soap?

yashi

In the shower.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Can you be as detailed as possible as to what you did and how the progression of relief of symptoms went?

You took the 4% solution all over your body in the shower? How long till you washed it off? Did you shampoo after or anything similar? Did you skin on face/scalp become dry? Did you use anything to moisturize after? Did any other lifestyle changes coincide with this? Do you use normal shampoo or special natural ways of cleaning in the shower? Did you have the read skin to scaly skin transition every few days before on face and scalp?

Did you use this product?
hibiclens.jpg

What exact ingredients did your product have? Can you link the exact product ? Is the product completely liquid and you douse yourself straight from the bottle? Did you take any special care to wash bed sheets often during the treatment? Did it have any effect on hair health? Did it burn/sting on the skin? Do you shower once a day or less since being symptom free (daily showers can sometimes mask the rapid skin shedding turnout sebderm sufferers have, where in 3 days they get rid of the same amount of skin cells a normal person sheds in a month, thus creating the scales on the skin, but just washing it off very often can mask the high turnover rate, but usually leads to red inflamed skin instead from all the washing and damaging the skin).
Anything else you can think of. It sounds very promising.

I order a 20% concentrate only containing chlorhexidinecluconate and water and will mix a 4% solution on my own.

Edit: Ok, here is a crazy thing. I know exactly when the occasional dandruff spread to my face a decade ago and i couldn't control it anymore with head & shoulders. I just checked my online orderings from that time (a decade ago) and literally 1 month before the bad case of seb derm really took off, I had orderer a 0.2% solution of chlorhexidine mouth wash for a small mouth infection I had. Now I wonder if this had anything to do with it breaking out into full on seb derm after. Very weird coincidence for sure.

Last edited: