Lose Fat Not Pounds & Seeing Is Believing (before & after pics)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Nice, Rinse. Based on this, it would seem that fat and sugar, with no starch, would still be more effective than a high starch diet for mineral balance and blood sugar
Let's not discount an occasional potato splurge though, especially the reds and purple ones!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Milk and cheese are the best foods for getting enough calcium, and they will help to keep your protein intake up; an active person needs at least 100 grams daily for efficiency. ...80 grams of protein daily is probably enough for a medium sized person who isn't very active. I have known people whose thyroid function improved noticeably when they increased their protein from 20 grams to 40 grams daily. (A quart of milk has 32 grams of protein, an egg about 6 grams.) If you depend on chicken for your major protein, it will contribute to suppressing your thyroid and progesterone. Increased salt helps to increase your metabolic rate. Low thyroid makes you lose salt too easily, and temporarily just eating more salt helps to make up for low thyroid-adrenals-progesterone." -Ray Peat

David90

Too skinny, like the right pic, just wouldn't look good on me at 57. I need to keep my face filled in. I see you are in Germany! My dad's side of the family are German, Steinert & Reinhardt ?

I Totally understand. Although looking Athletic and Thin has it's Place, being TOO skinny, would just not look good.

Really?. Now we can say, you have (partly) German Blood....:D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"There are different kinds of weight gain. When a person's metabolic rate increases, and stress hormones decrease, for example when adding two quarts of milk to the daily diet, their muscle mass is likely to increase, even while their fat is decreasing. Since muscle burns fat faster than fat does, caloric requirements will gradually increase." -Ray Peat

BodhiBlues

I have talked here and there, on this forum about the benefits of my mono potato diet, but in this interview a mono milk diet for 8 days to a month is HIGHLY recommended by our beloved Ray Peat. The conversation on it starts at 6:10 minutes. ?
That's an interesting listen! I quite often have days where I don't really consume anything other than lots of milk and maybe a bit of fruit, especially if the weather is really hot and I don't have much of an appetite. Only problem is that my girlfriend won't stop pestering me to eat "proper" food when I do it! :tearsofjoy:

Vileplume

Vileplume

That's an interesting listen! I quite often have days where I don't really consume anything other than lots of milk and maybe a bit of fruit, especially if the weather is really hot and I don't have much of an appetite. Only problem is that my girlfriend won't stop pestering me to eat "proper" food when I do it! :tearsofjoy:
Our diets look similar! Do you use low fat milk?

BodhiBlues

Our diets look similar! Do you use low fat milk?
I normally use whole milk, I'm not a huge fan of low fat milk, though I know that Ray recommends it.

I only do this on low-intensity days normally, where I am at home and not really doing much. I feel like I would need something more substantial on days where I was a lot more active like when I'm at the gym or doing a lot of walking.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I normally use whole milk, I'm not a huge fan of low fat milk, though I know that Ray recommends it.

I only do this on low-intensity days normally, where I am at home and not really doing much. I feel like I would need something more substantial on days where I was a lot more active like when I'm at the gym or doing a lot of walking.
I agree with you Bodhi! I drink nonfat lately and it feels better on days with lots of food. The raw whole milk makes a better "meal replacement".

BodhiBlues

I agree with you Bodhi! I drink nonfat lately and it feels better on days with lots of food. The raw whole milk makes a better "meal replacement".

Yea, non or low-fat milk is much lighter and feels more supplemental than full fat, like you would drink it with a meal.

Full fat milk is the meal. Like on the days when it is all I have, I don't feel hungry at all. I also love it as a "sports drink" after exercise as it is a great way to get rehydrated with all of the minerals that it has.

My work colleagues think that I'm weird because I will often drink 2 or 3 pints of milk through the day and they think it is a crazy amount to drink, little do they know that I also have some before work and after :tearsofjoy:

Vileplume

Yea, non or low-fat milk is much lighter and feels more supplemental than full fat, like you would drink it with a meal.

Full fat milk is the meal. Like on the days when it is all I have, I don't feel hungry at all. I also love it as a "sports drink" after exercise as it is a great way to get rehydrated with all of the minerals that it has.

My work colleagues think that I'm weird because I will often drink 2 or 3 pints of milk through the day and they think it is a crazy amount to drink, little do they know that I also have some before work and after :tearsofjoy:
I agree with you and Rinse both about full fat milk being the meal. Since I can only tolerate goat milk, and I can only find additive-free milk in the raw and whole form, I only drink whole. Skim would be nice, because I’m drinking so much milk. It’s basically become my only protein source, with some eggs and liver making guest appearances. Do you worry about weight gain from the whole milk?

I bring a water bottle full with half a gallon of milk to work each day, and my colleagues give me a hard time about it too, but it makes me feel proud because I know it’s good for me :woo

BodhiBlues

I agree with you and Rinse both about full fat milk being the meal. Since I can only tolerate goat milk, and I can only find additive-free milk in the raw and whole form, I only drink whole. Skim would be nice, because I’m drinking so much milk. It’s basically become my only protein source, with some eggs and liver making guest appearances. Do you worry about weight gain from the whole milk?

I bring a water bottle full with half a gallon of milk to work each day, and my colleagues give me a hard time about it too, but it makes me feel proud because I know it’s good for me :woo
I find that whole milk alone doesn't lead to too much weight gain for me, though if I wanted to really lean out I might have to reduce it. Milk is one of those foods that seems to effect everyone differently, it always feels very pro-metabolic to me but I know lots of other people who don't feel great drinking after drinking it even if they aren't fully lactose-intolerant.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

I wonder what your all day long milk is being compared to, from what they are eating, fast food, chips? I once had my son's teacher pull me aside with some concerns about the lunch I was packing for him. I was surprised about the complaint because I packed him yogurt, grapes and and some nuts. I asked her what was wrong with it she said, "there is no sandwich". She was more than 100+ overweight and he was in kindergarden! He had breakfast before he went to school and was only there for 4 hours and she thought 2 slices of bread was more nutritious. How different people view foods is quite amusing!

BodhiBlues

I wonder what your all day long milk is being compared to, from what they are eating, fast food, chips? I once had my son's teacher pull me aside with some concerns about the lunch I was packing for him. I was surprised about the complaint because I packed him yogurt, grapes and and some nuts. I asked her what was wrong with it she said, "there is no sandwich". She was more than 100+ overweight and he was in kindergarden! He had breakfast before he went to school and was only there for 4 hours and she thought 2 slices of bread was more nutritious. How different people view foods is quite amusing!

It is always really funny when you are lectured by people who are very obese and spend all day snacking on crisps and cookies, and then have a KFC for lunch. That is the problem with the "healthy at any size" movement, they think that they can go around giving (terrible) health advice when they probably wouldn't survive very long without taking lots of big pharma products to manage their diabetes and high blood pressure.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It is always really funny when you are lectured by people who are very obese and spend all day snacking on crisps and cookies, and then have a KFC for lunch. That is the problem with the "healthy at any size" movement, they think that they can go around giving (terrible) health advice when they probably wouldn't survive very long without taking lots of big pharma products to manage their diabetes and high blood pressure.
Right?! When i decided to go grain free 7 years ago, I would always get the most grief from my overweight family members. They would be so annoyed and sarcastic, that I would eat my hamburger without the bun or only eat the pizza topping. So strange that what I do should bother them that much.

golder

Right?! When i decided to go grain free 7 years ago, I would always get the most grief from my overweight family members. They would be so annoyed and sarcastic, that I would eat my hamburger without the bun or only eat the pizza topping. So strange that what I do should bother them that much.
Same as my family. Always wondered psychologically what was going on here. Is the slight mocking/pushing ‘their’ food a way to make them feel less bad?