Lose Fat Not Pounds & Seeing Is Believing (before & after pics)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi Rinse... can you elaborate on your change to just having protein with no sides & sugar? What would a meal like this consist of for you? My apologies if you have already addressed this somewhere.

Hi taralynne!

Those meals would be some that are on my Easy Peaty Proteins recipe threads. Here are pics of some examples. For snacks I will have a glass of nonfat or 2% milk with a big spoonful of honey or a couple of slices of grass fed mozzarella with a handful of sweet cherry tomatoes. The raw egg flip, orange julius, and other fruit milk smoothies.

Attachments

• 20210725_205041.jpg
    20210725_205041.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210804_122213.jpg
    20210804_122213.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210714_220506.jpg
    20210714_220506.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210419_165635.jpg
    20210419_165635.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210313_155002.jpg
    20210313_155002.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210107_224654.jpg
    20210107_224654.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210309_195357.jpg
    20210309_195357.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210715_134505.jpg
    20210715_134505.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210826_151418.jpg
    20210826_151418.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210811_223547.jpg
    20210811_223547.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 44
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi Rinse... can you elaborate on your change to just having protein with no sides & sugar? What would a meal like this consist of for you? My apologies if you have already addressed this somewhere.
For losing weight pairing protein and sugar together and keeping fat low is key for me.

Hi taralynne!

Those meals would be some that are on my Easy Peaty Proteins recipe threads. Here are pics of some examples. For snacks I will have a glass of nonfat or 2% milk with a big spoonful of honey or a couple of slices of grass fed mozzarella with a handful of sweet cherry tomatoes. The raw egg flip, orange julius, and other fruit milk smoothies.
these meals look amazing

OP
Rinse & rePeat
these meals look amazing

Thank you! I post all my recipes everyday for what I am eating with photo instructions. Here are my recipe threads! I have yet to post up my meatloaf recipe.

taralynne

Hi taralynne!

Those all sound so good.. thank you for the inspiration!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I started an adendum post to this thread today. I will be doing another one with my daily food logue and pics in the next 3 weeks showing how to lose weight the Ray Peat way!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Sugars, if they are consumed in quantities beyond the ability to metabolize them (and that easily happens in the presence of PUFA) are converted into saturated fatty acids, which have antistress, antiinflammatory effects. Many propaganda experiments are set up, feeding a grossly excessive amount of polyunsaturated fat, causing sugar to form fat, specifically so they can publish their silly diet recommendations, which supposedly explain the obesity >, but the government figures I cited show that vegetable fat consumption has increased, sugar hasn’t. My articles have a lot of information on the mechanisms, such as the so-called ‘Randle cycle,’ in which fatty acids shut down the ability to oxidize sugar." - Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Polyunsaturated fats do many things that increase blood sugar inappropriately, and my articles review several of the major mechanisms. Several years ago, medical people started talking about the harmful effects of insulin, such as stimulating fat production, so ‘insulin resistance’ which keeps a high level of insulin from producing obesity would seem to be a good thing, but the medical obesity culture really isn’t thinking very straight. One factor in the ‘insulin resistance’ created by PUFA involves estrogen—chronic accumulation of PUFA in the tissues increases the production of estrogen, and the polyunsaturated free fatty acids intensify the actions of estrogen, which acts in several ways to interfere with glucose oxidation.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Since the experiment I did for my friend was a story told after the fact, in this post, proving sugar in itself doesn't make you fat, I started a new "real time" thread on weight loss. I have been making my fat loss to muscle transfer over the last 6 weeks and used my tightest, no stretch, size 6 shorts and my goal. Here is my before and after pics so far.

Attachments

• 20211015_131816.jpg
    20211015_131816.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20211021_094300.jpg
    20211021_094300.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 115
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Protein deficiency itself contributes to the harm done by toxins, since the liver’s ability to detoxify them depends on adequate nutrition, especially good protein. In the 1940s, Biskind’s experiments showed that protein deficiency leads to the accumulation of estrogen, because the liver normally inactivates all the estrogen in the blood as it passes through the liver. This applies to phytoestrogens and industrial estrogens as well as to the natural estrogens of the body. At a certain point, the increased estrogen and decreased thyroid and progesterone cause infertility, but before that point is reached, the hyperestrogenism causes a great variety of birth defects. Deformities of the male genitals, and later, testicular cancer in the sons and breast cancer in the daughters, are produced by the combination of toxins and nutritional deficiencies." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is my update with today's pic from my More Weight Loss Talk experiment, a high sugar diet void of starch. The "Muffin Top" one is my before pic :D

Edit: I am 58 and haven't been to the gym in 31 years.

Attachments

• 20220217_105831.jpg
    20220217_105831.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20211015_131816.jpg
    20211015_131816.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 93

Old Irenaeus

??? Lookin' 38. I like how the light from the phone is creating highlights. High sugar + protein approach seems convincing.

A

Adf

"In one of the studies in which rats had been taught learned helplessness so they would drown in five or six minutes, just being able to see another rat escape would let the informed rat go for days without drowning. Just the recognition that someone else did it can make all the difference." Ray Peat

Just like the ill conceived original food pyramid, the weight chart is another "guide" that caused more unnecessary stress and unhealthy "Skinny Fat" people. In case you never heard of the term, they are the ones you look at and say, "Eat a burger already!" The Skinny Fat are the unlucky winners that hit their perfect numbers on the scale, but unfortunately are mostly comprised of fat, without a muscle to be seen. It is another "one size fits all" invention that has also backfired. It gained traction because doctors endorsed it, and those who wanted to prove they cared about their health jumped through the hoops. Going to the doctor for any issue, brought on such stress from the scale, because that number is gonna tell if you've been naughty or nice. Unfortunately that perfect number does not accurately represent what that number is CREATED WITH and COMPOSED OF. Considering that fat is much more volumous than muscle the weight chart ended up praising the "Skinny Fat" and overlook the strong.

"Skinny Fat" is admired in younger years, with their thick supple skin hiding what lurks beneath, and looks fantastic in clothes, but Skinny Fat is nevertheless not a pretty sight in the later years. The older Skinny fat people love to brag about how they have maintained that perfect weight chart number all their years, while their audience, looks and listens worriedly, at the skeletal remains that will inevitably be their fate one day. The fact is Skinny Fat backfires when you get old. The day I realized Skinny Fat self had betrayed me, was the day I was all dressed up for my son's wedding. Having worked hard, dieting, with a healthy lemonade fast , to get into my tiny size small dress, which had no stretch, I felt proud having acheived my perfect number, which was 128 for my 5'4 height. I felt I was being reasonable chosing that approved number, being there were smaller numbers I could have chosen. I had weighed all the past numbers I had acheived, to imagine a now "healthier me. Reflecting back on my previous perfect numbers, when I was 20 and weighed 106, I knew that looked terrible, and my pre-baby weight perfect number of 119, I figured was good for then, buta little too unreasonable now, for my 50's. So here I was feeling ready to impress for the day, until my cousin sees me and says, "You look terrible! You're too skinny". I was not only upset by the timing of his concerned comment, but puzzled as to how he could even see "terrible"! Several months later, I captured glimpes here and there in the mirror, of myself, in certain lighting or certain angles, which showed me what he was seeing, and he was right! That so called perfect number made me look old! Fortunately I was a good year into applying some of Ray Peat's science, removing PUFA's, but I could not get my head around the sugar consumption. Now that i was Skinny Fat, I decided that I needed to gain muscle and started RE-READING Ray's science on the subject, and suddenly the phrase i had read, and heard, many times before about "sugar spares muscle" finally made sense! So I put my mind to it, and told my husband that I was gonna put on 15 pounds, swapping out fat for muscle. Knowing the numbers on the scale were gonna be scary, I just didn't look at them, and added in all that Ray Peat sugar, and what a surprise! Not only did I put on 20 pounds, but I still fit into all my same clothes! I looked strong and young again! My snakey jiggle legs were thick and firm again, and even better than when I was younger and Skinny Fat! I get it now, that when you eat protein alone your body is gonna fight for it's fair share of it, converting some into sugar for energy. The more effective approach to building muscle is to provide your body with sugar first, for the energy it needs, which keeps the dogs happy when you go in and feed the muscles.

Fast forward a year, and many starch splurges later, my girlfriend and I were talking about losing some weight, I suggested the Ray Peat way, with losing fat instead. She was doubtful all that sugar would work for anyone and went her usual path of low carb, zero sugar and intermittent fasting, never to have lost more than a couple of pounds in the past, just to quickly put it back on again. Falling on deaf ears I decided to appeal to her eyes and put on my romper, which was 2 inches from buttoning and sent her the pick. I told her my route would be the Ray Peat "sugar sparing muscle" science, with no starches, high protein and high fruit with some sugar for good measure. When all was said and done I lost no weight and neither did she, but the difference was I fit into my romper! I lost volume! I sent her my pic proof that Ray Peat is right AGAIN! Needless to say she was amazed and puzzled. She could not understand how I was looking like I did in a size small, while she is the same height and build as me, and only 10 pounds heavier in an extra large, so I also sent her a pic with a scale of what 5 pounds of fat looks like compared to 5 pounds of muscle. It speaked volumes to the FACT that FAT is the PROBLEM, NOT POUNDS and that you really are what you eat!

ATTACHED is a photo of two of me, one in rlthecsixmze small m romper weighing 132 from "healthy fasting" with the Lemonade Diet, and the other weighing 152 from "Ray Peating" with lots of protein, fruit AND sugar. I also attached a photo of the volume difference between fat and muscle, and a weight chart from the good old days. Oh no, according to the chart i am obese!

Congratulations on your amazing progress!

That study on rats is very interesting. Something I have noticed a long time ago, as soon as something is perceived, it becomes much more prevalent.

What do I mean by this? I used to follow the fitness Youtube community for many years. Nobody could deadlift over 500 pounds, except for the massive roided bodybuilders. Then one natty guy in the Youtube fitness community did it. Then VERY quickly, everybody and their grandma was deadlifting over 500 pounds.

As soon as there is evidence that something has been done once, it will be done again and again. This happens in all walks of life. You can discover an item or product that you never knew existed, and as soon as you have perceived it once, you now see it everywhere. It can even be something that has already existed for years or decades, you just never knew of it.

How can we see what we haven't perceived?

Once we have perceived it once, it can now be seen everywhere.

I noticed this as a child playing Grand Theft Auto. There would be old crummy cars for the first few hours of gameplay, and then the exciting moment you see a sports car. And that exciting moment is quickly gone because once you see one sports car, every other car is a sports car.
I vaguely remember reading an article from the developers that said there was no code in game that caused this. It just happened.

There was also a study I heard of, done on newborn kittens. The first few weeks of their life they lived in a house painted entirely in horizontal stripes. After a few weeks they moved them to a house painted only in vertical stripes, and the kittens were 100% blind for some time. Because they have never perceived vertical stripes in their life, they couldn't see them.

It begs the questions, what wonderful and amazing things are all around us that we simply don't see, because we haven't yet perceived them? Or we can't yet perceive them.

Regina

Here is my update with today's pic from my More Weight Loss Talk experiment, a high sugar diet void of starch. The "Muffin Top" one is my before pic :D

Edit: I am 58 and haven't been to the gym in 31 years.

you look great Rinse.
The house of all those awesome meals you cook up for your fam. Well done.